Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with the Browning Nomad semi-auto 22 L.R. pistols?
I have been debating about buying this pistol for a few weeks now and recently "spoke up for" it.
My friend selling it is kind enough to hold it for me til the next pension and social security checks arrive.
Anyway the Nomad will be coming my way on June 1st.
Due to circumstances beyond my control (I bought a Ruger 77 V/T in 220 Swift and a Weaver 4x16 variable out on the west coast last week - so I am broke til the first of the month) I won't get it IN my hands until then.
I am anxious!
I have seen these pistols around for about 50 years now (manufactured from 1962 til 1974) yet I have never fired one.
I think the "Nomads" are actually kind of rare, but I haven't found any production figures for them as yet.
The one I have arranged to buy has the 4 1/2" barrel and the alloy frame (add 10% says the Blue Book for this option?) - personally I would probably rather have an all steel frame model.
This pistol was advertised to me as 100% mint condition and I was skeptical of that until I actually got the pistol into my hands - it IS 100% mint.
Not a speck of wear or marring anywhere.
The breech/bolt face/chamber area all look like it is unfired.
It comes with two extra magazines still in wrappers, BUT, it does not have the "Browning" pistol pouch that I believe may have been standard factory issue with this model?
Oh well.
By coincidence when I was out at the huge Seattle area gun show on the 14th and 15th of May I saw a Browning pistol rug for sale - it was priced at $50.00 U.S.!
The pistol rug was advertised on its price tag that it was "made for Browning Nomad and Challenger models" - and was clearly marked with the Browning name.
Maybe I should have picked it up but half a hundred dollars is a lot of money for pistol rug.
I have to decide whether this minty little pistol will become a shooter or an investment (safe queen)?
Any insights/thoughts on the pistol or production numbers?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
First handgun I ever shot. It was my uncles and he still has it although his is a six inch it shoots like a rifle. Keep the rear sight tight with blue locktite. I could'nt use it for hunting in my state but the memories cannot be replaced. I have a soft spot for this gun as it never fails to bring a smile shooting it. If they made one today I would buy it.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one with a 6 3/4" barrel. With CCI Subsonics I can make 10 shots touch at 25yrds and carry it on my trapline.

A couple of things though. I'm not too crazy about the grip angle and I don't care for the way the grips flare at the bottom.

I'll probably retire it or sell it one of these days when I get a Buckmark.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It�s a good pistol that�s made very well. I�ll never forget a friend had one when I was a kid and he made the classic mistake of rolling his weak hand thumb over the back strap for a two hand hold. Even as a 12 year old kid who had never fired a handgun before, I could quickly figure out what was going to happen. But he let one off before I could yell out, and it cost him 4-5 stitches on his thumb. The slide is razor sharp at the rear of that gun. They�re just made VERY well in every aspect, and they shoot like they look. Good choice, you�re going to love it.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Captain: Thanks for the heads up on the possible "loose" sight situation.
I will keep an eye on that.
I am glad you are happy with your Nomad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
KevinGibson: I have known adults who have made similar mistakes with the rapid functioning pistols.
It seems humans can overlook the obvious sometimes and get in a fix.
I was volunteering years ago (on the rangemaster regular day off) to do rangemaster duties at the Renton, Washington range.
I was about 50 feet away from an elderly bespectacled gentleman who was having a little trouble sighting in his then newish Colt Targetsman.
I was watching him as he stood up from his chair and clamped the nifty Colt auto to an 4x4 vertical beemwith his hands.
He then brought his face and eye to the immediate rear of the Colts slide and as I was running towards him and beginning to shout a warning!
To late!
He squeezed one off and the slide smacked back into his nose/cheek area breaking his glasses and drawing blood!
Unfortunately the shooter dropped the Colt auto onto the cement from the standing position and it did additional harm to the gun.
Luckily the dropping did not set off another cartridge.
Anyway it was an ordeal stopping the bleeding and repairing his glasses (frames) so he could drive his self home.
The lesson was learned although I am certain this seasoned shooter KNEW about the mechanics of his pistols action but just made a "human error" of forgetfullness or overlooking the obvious.
MY reminder of the obvious functioning of the semi-auto pistols was a more traditional "thumb injury" and even though it was a grazing wound it hurt and caused bleeding and much consternation on my part.
I honestly think I only have had to have that "reminder" once in my 40+ years of pistol shooting.
I will keep in mind the sharp edge warning for my new Nomad.
6 more days - I am getting anxious.
I am going to try a google type search (maybe even Wikipedia) for Browning Nomads.
I am just curious as to production numbers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of my friends in college had one and I think he still has it...40 years later. I always wanted one and a few years ago bought the Challenger model that is basically the same gun but with nice wood grips...which didn't fit me.

Gun was VERY accurate and the trigger broke like a glass rod...but the grips kept me from keeping it... It had the original rug and all the paperwork.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Stevelyn: Thats a great shooting pistol you have there - good for the both of you.
I would probably also rather have had the longer barrel version myself - but beggars can't be chosers.
I have several types of CCI 22 L.R. ammunition but nothing subsonic.
I will pick some up.
Your pistol shoots it (function wise) reliably then?
I have a BuckMark and I like it very much.
My friend here in SW Montana is trying to raise money for a medical bill and is selling his minty BuckMark pistol/Rifle thingy!
If you are at all interested I could hook you guys up.
It has about a 14 or 16 inch barrel on it. I have only seen it once and forget the particulars on it (price and barrel length).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's functioned without a problem with everything I've ever put in it. I just experimented and shot a variety of loads until I found the most accurate which just happened to be the CCI Subsonics. It also launches Velocitors pretty accurately too. For practice I shoot golf balls with it.
It's a very good and well made pistol.

Z
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Stevelyn: I picked up my Nomad yesterday and spent the evening re-cleaning it and looking it over.
You are right it IS a well made (machined/finished) pistol.
I have still not made any headway in finding out total production numbers but I did find a serial number reference (explanation) that shows my Nomad to have been made prior to 1969.
The vague explanation I found narrowed down my pistols manufacture as being somewhere from 1962 to 1968.
The Nomad pistol models were produced from 1962 through 1974.
Still looking for info!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have one and I do believe it is my most favorite 22 auto pistol that I own. Sounds like you got a sweetheart.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats VarmintGuy.

Hope you enjoy it and it works well for you.

If you need an extra mag or two I believe Challenger and Challenger II mags will fit. I'm pretty sure Numerich Gun Parts will probably be able to dig a couple up.

Z
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
VarmitGuy: There is or at least there was a website rimfirecentral.com that has forums and a section on Browning guns. I have a Challenger that is a step up from the Nomad and these guns were made in Belgium and are actually quite collectable. The magazines are worth almost as much as the gun itself as they are not the same as the newer Buckmark magazines. I think there is a replacement magazine made by TripleK or somthing but I haven't seen them for a while. The gun is a great shooter. Chris

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
452 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.