Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Out of these three rifles which would you choose? I have seen and heard good things about all, but in a bolt gun which would you choose.

BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know anything about the T/C, but would take the Howa of the other 2.

Last edited by ShootDogs; 06/03/11.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Easy....Howa/Weatherby Vanguard.

Last edited by ingwe; 06/03/11.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have owned Weatherby Vanguards (pretty much a Howa 1500 action) I think they are are very solid , well made & designed in my opinion. My .300 win mag shot about 3/4 -1" groups all the time. The Thompson center to me looks like second generation S&W I bolt with a new stock and barrel.......never owned one but have heard they shoot pretty good. I did read one review(I can't recall where that said the gun did not feed well) I really don't know. I just bought my son a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 and put it in a boyds aftermarket stock and bedded it. The gun shoots 1/2-3/4 " 3 shot groups and seems to work and function pretty well.....there are some parts that are cast to keep cost down....trigger is pretty good for a low end gun....for the money I think it is a good gun. I think the Howa might be a touch better built. Hope this helps.Goodshot

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Easy. The one you like best.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd choose the 1500/Vangaurd also. It has a long successful track record with rifles produced by S&W, Howa and Weatherby. As soon as one manufacture decides to drop production.....another is standing in line to pick it up. This is a very good indication that the design is sound. The 1500 can aslo be bought with a wood stock rather than plastic. Some might not find this an advantage, but it is to me.

Both the Marlin and T/C are really too new to judge, but each has features I DON'T care for. Most are "personal" dislikes, not nessisarily "problems" for others.

The T/C would be my last choice of the three. The stock design is bulky and uncomfortable for me as well as being plastic (which I can't tollerate). A big part of this is because of the detachable magazine that hangs down like a hernia on the bottom of the action. I have no use for detachable magazines of ANY design. Also primarilly a cosmetic flaw to me is the squared off rear of the bolt and the "fat" bolt design. Both are just plain ugly.

The Marlin, although of more "traditional" style, is also saddled with a plastic stock. The "fluted" bolt is something I could do without.....just a place for trash to gather and foul the action. I also don't like the trigger, even thought this general design does shoot very well. I'd much prefer a traditional adjustable trigger instead of one utilizing a "tounge" cluttering the trigger face.

The 1500 is by far the most proven and asthetically pleasing of the three possibile rifles.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was looking for the best most inexpensive rifle and went with the Howa 1500 with the Hogue overmodled stock. I changed the scope mounts and rings to quality steel ones and am well satisfied.

1 Inch, 1 Shot, 1 Kill; 30-06

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want a very accurate rifle buy the Marlin.I have 3 safe's full of hunting rifles and the new Malin XL-7 in 270 is the most accurate rifle I own.On the Marlin forum I have read that the extractor are not very strong on the Marlins. I own 2 Howa's in .243 and 6.5x55 and they are great rifles.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My strong advice, having owned Marlins and a Howa, is to run as far as you can from a new (within the last 5 years) Marlin. Their QC and customer support is terrible now. Just take a look at their stocks for starters.

Try the trigger on a new Howa. You'll love it. Also, you can buy just the barreled action and put precisely the stock you want on it, along with other variations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably the Vanguard....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CaptFlipCapsize
My strong advice, having owned Marlins and a Howa, is to run as far as you can from a new (within the last 5 years) Marlin. Their QC and customer support is terrible now. Just take a look at their stocks for starters.

Try the trigger on a new Howa. You'll love it. Also, you can buy just the barreled action and put precisely the stock you want on it, along with other variations.

Has this problem 0f QC come about since Remington bought them?

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ingwe

I may throw up,but I agree 100%..........

Jayco

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Howa.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've owned both the Howa and the Marlin XL 7...

both are good servicable rifles...

no wrong choice with either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.