Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[Linked Image]

Your first Amendment won't protect itself.
-me
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[Linked Image]

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
yes its on the very top of the bolt lever

-me
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's it say on the side of left side of the receiver, just after the thumbnotch?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And those marks are German proof marks from the German Democratic Republic used after 1950

Last edited by exbiologist; 06/04/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Page 225 of Mauser Military Rifles of World, 4th edition

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey August,

You might want to get on a Mauser-centric website and see if somebody has a reference book with serial #s. Given that yours is a sporting rifle (from what I can see) and has the switchable barrel feature (something I'm not familiar with), you might need a "Mauser guy" to hunt it down. Do you know when your dad got the gun? They stopped making rifles (I think) in the 90's. The action is legendary and it's tough to establish the value with what I've seen. I don't have a Blue Book, but many people do (your gun dealer will too, but you have to be careful there)and it may be more straightforward to get a ballpark value that way.

Just looking on GunBroker, the floor for this gun should be $500 but, if it's a rare model, it could be worth several thousand. I don't think it's a $15,000 rifle from the looks of it, but that's all out of my league!

JJ

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
If i'm looking in the right place, "MAUSER-WERKE A:G.OBERNDORF A/N."

-me
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That Mannlicher stock is cool! Probably not merely a $500 gun!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
wow ok thanks..whats a Mannlicher stock, out of curiosity? (i could Google it but I prefer your guys' answers)

-me
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It's a stock that goes all the way to the end of the barrel (or nearly). Very German! It reminds me of something some guy wearing a Hamburg would go boar hunting with!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by August327
If i'm looking in the right place, "MAUSER-WERKE A:G.OBERNDORF A/N."

What I figured. Good. So yeah its a post war Mauser. Oberndorf is the city, Mauser-Werke is the company. If you have time to sell it you could get north of $800. Probably less than $1,500 though. I know, I know, huge ballpark, but stuff like this is priced individually. There's not much of a "book value" for it and this is a wild-assed guess.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Ha my grandpa is from Germany and it was originally his rifle.

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thats a lot better than a range of $300-$14,000.

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thank you

-me
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
after seeing the pictures and reading the rest of the responses, i am guessing that you have the price range narrowed down a bit. IMHO, i would say for the bare rifle, with no scope, $800. with the scope, closer to $1200.

nice rifle, now you gotta take it out and kill something with it to prove its worth... grin

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
i just looked thru 100+ Mausers on this other site and as best I can tell this one is the same as what I have here, but asking 5k?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/MAUSER-Commercial-Single-Square-Bridge.cfm?gun_id=100002664

-me
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. That's a pre war model and they tend to be more highly valued.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I didn't notice the twin set triggers on yours. That probably makes it worth more. The one you posted discusses the detachable barrel also. I really don't know. I'd get on a Mauser-centric site. Speaking for me, I'm a lot more familiar with the Mauser-actioned military guns. They are more in the $2-6oo range (unless a sniper variant).

$5K seems steep to me, but if you must sell it, obviously you want the most you can get. If you want to sell it, you might contact Kull Auctions. They do a couple of big auctions per year with lots of good exposure. The problem with a local guy will be the scarcity of the gun you're trying to sell.

It's a beautiful rifle. I'd be loathe to sell it, but if it's not your thing, you should shop it around.

JJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by exbiologist; 06/04/11.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 3,213 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.