Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hi Guys:

I finished another Class at Thunder Ranch Oregon, a couple of weeks back. here is my delayed review:

The Course Description: �High Angle Rifle Training� is a progression of the Thunder Ranch mid-range rifle course (100 to 600 yards on the flat range). Participants need to be graduates of Thunder Ranch Mid Range or Precision Rifle courses. You must be capable of personal mobility to climb up and down very broken ground while transporting all personal equipment on your person with free hands for climbing. Good success has been achieved in the past with clients using .308 caliber rifles.

COVERED RANGE DECK
[Linked Image]

ERY NICE IN THE RAIN
[Linked Image]

DOWNRANGE VIEW
[Linked Image]

You must be capable of personal mobility to climb up and down very broken ground while transporting all personal equipment on your person with free hands for climbing.

THE TWINS CLIMBING UP ON SATURDAY
[Linked Image]

H.A.R.T.Equipment Good success has been achieved in the past with clients using .308 caliber rifles. A solid rifle is required with strong bases and scope rings. A good uncomplicated scope with external adjustment knobs will provide the best results during the class. Mil-dot or minute of angle adjustable scopes are best with power ranging from 3-4x to 12-16x or higher power as the shooter might require. Additional equipment could be a spotting scope or binoculars, a laser range finder, sling, bipod and a pack that will carry your rifle. Clothing suitable to weather above the 5000-foot elevation and the time of the year.
The smallest lightest equipment that serves its intended function will be best. A note of caution, if you bring it, equipment wise, you�ll be carrying it�up and down the course of fire�please.

DAY ONE: Welcome to ThunderRanch

[Linked Image]

VIEW OF THE THUNDERRANCH
[Linked Image]

8:00 the gate opens and you can come onto the property. Clint runs and T-I-G-H-T ship. The gate opens at 8, not 7:55, not 8:02--8:00.

We get signed in, releases, etc, then Clint begins a lecture--range rules, procedures, dope, expectations, etc. This is followed by basic marksmanship stuff and a focus on the fundamentals. At 11:30 we broke for lunch.

First day and a half is on the flat range with targets out to 900 yards plus the rifle scrambler for different field positions we will get on the ridges.

We shot for record at 100, get dialed in for conditions, 5,000 elevation, 40 degrees and rainy. eek

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0492.jpg[/img]

By the end of the first day, I had my dope for 1-700 yards. with a head shot at 700 (Miss Heidi was my spotted and walked me in (strong cross wind) in 3 shots).

The 6x6 inch Orange square is the "head shot"

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0500.jpg[/img]

DINNER: Some of shooters agreed upon Chinese food for dinner and met at Gee's Hunan Chinese food downtown Lakeview, Oregon. PLATES WERE HUGE!

Four of us arrived on time and ordered. A fifth guy (6'5") arrived and we told him just to get another plate. More than we could eat. Pot Stickers, Curry, Sweet and sour chicken, rice, egg foo young, etc. No small guys in this group, but still . . . ..

The food is standard "American Style" Chinese food. Four stars for service, quality, and portion size. YUMM! wink

continued

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
BP-B2

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Day two:

MISS HEIDI'S TRIGGER SCHOOL:

Heidi, Clint's wife, who is the best field marksman I have ever watched shoot, gave a demo and lecture on loading the bipod, breathing, and related trigger issues. The instructors followed this up with individual work throughout the day.

We also got the first view of the ThunderRanch GAP Rifle:

Link: http://www.thunderranchinc.com/home/index.html

Here is Miss Heidi Breaking it in (yes, the way it shot, its worth the money):

[Linked Image]

This day was similar to day one, lots of time on the flat deck, working marksmanship drills (Shooter 1 fires at 100 steel, then shooter 2, etc, until shooter 9 fires, then shooter 1 moves to 200, etc. All the way out to 700 yards.

Then we moved on to the first "High Angle" shot.

We moved out of the Range deck, and took at 900 uphill shot--I am on the far right, closest to the range deck cover.

[Linked Image]

We were shooting at another 6x6 inch orange square. See it here:

[Linked Image]

LITTLE CLOSER?

[Linked Image]

HOW ABOUT NOW?

[Linked Image]

I got my dope, 900 yards should be 32 MOA in my rifle/load. At this range, and angle, I dropped to 30 MOA. My partner was now spotting the wind for me, gave me a call, I held off--First shot, 1 MOA high. While I awaited the next wind call, the trees STOPPED MOVING (no ind!) Adjust, fire, HIT! Headshots at 900 yards are fun . . . . grin

So ended Day 2, We agreed to got to mexican food. El Aguila real (100 feet from the hotel).

Cerveza, cholesterol, and hot sauce were shared liberally. friendships were forming.

Continued

Last edited by BMT; 06/04/11.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The Third Day began the climbing and position shooting here's a view from the top:

[Linked Image]

Group photo
[Linked Image]

We began at the Humpty Rock . . . .
[Linked Image]

First shot was 650 yards:

[Linked Image]

We each got our dope going out 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, and 1200 yards.

This was a long process, it took a while to get each guy on target. I was last. Wind was wicked by the time I got inot position. Nevertheless, 650 yards was now rather straightforward. I got my dope and made wind adjustments as indicated by Clint.

At 950, Clint gave me a wind call, I adjusted and fired. I thought I heard the word "HIT" and turned (bewildered) and asked, "hit?".

Clint replied: "Most people are happy with First Round hits at 950 yards, Mr. Thompson"

We then moved on to plunging shots into the valley. These are relatively steep:

[Linked Image]

Also include was a 1,000 yard plate at the top of the ridge across the way. Its right there, in the clearing, top left of the ridge.

[Linked Image].

At this point, we were now spotting for each other (a great way to learn)

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0542.jpg[/img]

The wind was REALLY up now, I dialed 16 MOA RIGHT (160 inches at 1,000 yards). I fired repeatedly and my spotter kept giving me wind calls. I help, fired, and gave that 12x12 plate A terrible fright. But wind, is not stable, it billows and gusts, and I landed shots within an inch of the plate, top, bottom, left, and right. A skinny Jihadisit might have lived, and obese one, was toast. . . grin

By the was, my spotter, Aaron, is owner of TAMARACK Sports, Idaho-great guy. Link: http://www.tamaracksporting.com/

The last position of the day was seated, plunging shots:

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0546.jpg[/img]

Range was 700, 800, and 900.

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0544.jpg[/img]

Wind and position was "wicked" Still, I got a first round hit at 900 . . . . crazy

Dinner, this night was with Clint and Heidi at Marios, in Lakeview. No need to shower first, bring your gear into the restaurant . . .

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0554.jpg[/img]

A good time, was had by all.

Day 4, next

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
DAY 4:

We moved on to the Crows nest:

[Linked Image]

Note the drop off from the shooting position . . .

[Linked Image]

We had seven targets this day. Ranging from close (550 yards, to long, 1,200).

Me (camo) and Clint looking over shooting positions.

[Linked Image]

At this time, students were spotting and Clint was just a safety officer. Here as the other twin doctors:

[Linked Image]

First target required a little climbing . . .

[Linked Image]

The drop:

[Linked Image]

Second set of targets was less precarious:

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0573.jpg[/img]

Target was a "man" plate at 752 yards. I got my wind call from my spotter, and fired. I called my own shot, high, over the left shoulder. I racked the action, held on the right side, belt high, and HIT.

The last target was a little longer . . .

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0569.jpg[/img]

We had a real good prone position, (that is me with the mesh bag for brass)

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0571.jpg[/img]

Another spotter helped me with this one. I dialed 3.5 MOA Left and wakled in a hit at 1,100 yards (6 rounds).

It sure is fun to call your own first round hit at OVER HALF A MILE!. I did not shoot at 1,200--no more elevation and a Thunderstorm was coming across the valley.

Then, back to the range deck for another marksmanship drill . . .

[img]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/williferd/TR%20High%20Angle/IMG_0589.jpg[/img]

Also, we gathered contact data for each other these were good guys.

Then into the classroom for certificates, and goodbyes.

For dinner, another student and I went to the Dinner Delle restaurant. Very good home cooking. I sold it as a good dinner over pizza. We walked in to the very small place, and read the blue plate special--Chicken Fried Steak- on aBLUE PLATE too!

Excellent dinner, excellent company, Excellent was to spend a week.

We have already arranged for all 9 of us to shoot again next year--more advance precision work . . . grin

BMT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome and beautiful country.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love Lakeview and it's surrounding areas. If I could find work there, I'd move in a heartbeat. But being that close to TR would be hard on the checking account...

Hey BMT, what did you take for glass? Riflescope, binos, spotter?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great review BMT, good use of funds and time

glad you had a good session, I sure enjoyed reading about it

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you very much for a very interesting and informative post. GRF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WOW!!!

The foundation for old age is good memories.
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KDK
I love Lakeview and it's surrounding areas. If I could find work there, I'd move in a heartbeat. But being that close to TR would be hard on the checking account...

Rifle is a Savage LH Stainless Short Action 308.

Cerrakoted by http://riflestockpainting.com/

McMillan GAP camo Classic.

Leupold 3.5-10x40 with M1 turrets

Talley Lightweights

PacNor 3# contour, supermatch,stainless 1 in 10.

BMT

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks like a good time.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahh, thanks,

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by KDK

Rifle is a Savage LH Stainless Short Action 308.

Cerrakoted by http://riflestockpainting.com/

McMillan GAP camo Classic.

Leupold 3.5-10x40 with M1 turrets

Talley Lightweights

PacNor 3# contour, supermatch,stainless 1 in 10.

BMT

A Leupold??? But, but, but, I thought every time a Leupold goes to a "shooting school" it breaks? At leasts that's what I've read on the optics forum... over and over again.... crazy

Great write up and great shooting BMT. I'm saving my pennies to start taking classes at Thunder Ranch in 2012.

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/05/11.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
So, 4 day clinic?

Cost? # of rounds fired?

Looks like a really good time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, 4 day clinic.

$1,200.

300 rounds

VERY good time, very helpful.

BMT

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good stuff. Thanks

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

Sounds like you'd recommend it. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks.

Sounds like you'd recommend it. wink

Most Highly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great post! Thanks for sharing the info.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Great write up and great shooting BMT. I'm saving my pennies to start taking classes at Thunder Ranch in 2012.

Excellent choice. What class you lookin' at?

I've taken:

2007-Revolver

2008-Mid range Rifle

2009-Urban precision Rifle

2010--Home and vehicle Defense

2011-HART

October 2011-Urban Rifle.

BMT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.