Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Please tell me how you like or dislike your RSM. I'm thinking of picking one up for a 2013 safari for Eland, Zebra, Kudu and Gemsbok. Thanks.

Bob

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great rifle, very accurate, features (1/4 rib integral, sights) that make is a real deal. Downside is weight, well over 10# w/ scope.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I`ve handled them. And as was mentioned, its additional weight imo is a big downside. You`ll more than likely end up closer to about 11 1/2 to 12 lbs w/scope, sling and all loaded up. If you don`t mind the weight and can handle it, then fine.

Looks darn good though!

If you want to stay with a Ruger and go lighter, the 375 Ruger African would be a very good alternative imo.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I`ve handled them. And as was mentioned, its additional weight imo is a big downside. You`ll more than likely end up closer to about 11 1/2 to 12 lbs w/scope, sling and all loaded up. If you don`t mind the weight and can handle it, then fine.

Looks darn good though!

+1

They're typically 10 1/4 lbs. naked.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+ what everybody said about the weight. The RSM is much better suited to the 416 Rigby or Lott.

The original RSM (24" bbl and stud on forearm) in 416 would come in at 10lb-15oz
nekked. While the later version (23" with bbl mounted stud) from ca '99 on, brought it down to 9 -12oz.

But 9 3/4 lbs is still pretty damn heavy for a 375.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have the original (stud on forearm and fat barrel) in 416 Rigby. It's certainly heavy, but a good sling helps with the carrying. Even with that weight it's still a bear to shoot off the bench with full house 400 gr. loads. I may be a weenie, but the second generation model which is lighter would be even worse. I have no plans to ever step up to a 458 Lott.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 458 Lott in the Mk II is fairly easy to shoot IME. My main complaint with the rifle which I only recently sold, is that the stock especially the forend, is too blocky. The weight was not the problem, it was the handling due mainly to the weight distribution.

If I ever get my hands on a MK II again, it'll become a Gibbs-based .510 'wildcat' that'll fit in the 3.6" magazine. Then there'll I'll have no complaints about the weight! grin

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In response, to your question and the other comments, are you aware that you can get the Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger and that it will come in under 8lbs before you scope it?

Just a thought. I like mine very much after a little "tuning". With a 4x Leup on top it's about 8 1/4 lbs which is just right for me.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Guys, thanks for your responses, I'm going to look at the Ruger African in 375 Ruger today, the concerns that I have with the African is that it is light and I was worried about the recoil . I thought if I went with the RSM the extra weight would tame the recoil, apparently from what everyone is saying they are a ton to carry around. I also like the quarter rib on the RSM. I'm also concerned about the availability of ammo in Africa if the airlines lose my 375 Ruger ammo. I'll let you guys know what gun I finally end up with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, they are stylish but I don't think you need that weight for any 375 to the left of a 378 B. About 8.25-9 lbs. scoped, works nicely in a hunting .375 H&H so will in the 375 Ruger too.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PAelksmacker
Guys, thanks for your responses, I'm going to look at the Ruger African in 375 Ruger today, the concerns that I have with the African is that it is light and I was worried about the recoil . I thought if I went with the RSM the extra weight would tame the recoil, apparently from what everyone is saying they are a ton to carry around. I also like the quarter rib on the RSM. I'm also concerned about the availability of ammo in Africa if the airlines lose my 375 Ruger ammo. I'll let you guys know what gun I finally end up with.
................Remember too, that 375 H&H ammo and/or rifle can get lost during transport by the airlines just as easily as 375 Ruger ammo and/or rifle can.

In either case, you`d have to use a back up rifle and its ammo provided for you by your PH, which your PH should have on hand for just such an event. This should be planned for and confirmed ahead of time via contact with your PH by e/mail should your ammo and/or your rifle get lost during transport.

This is why imo, all the hoop-la about 375 Ruger ammo or the lack there-of (for now) in So Africa is really way too overblown. As long as the PH provides a back-up rifle and ammo for you, then it doesn`t really matter whether you pack up a 375 H&H rifle and ammo or pack up a 375 Ruger rifle and its ammo, as either can be lost.

Airlines don`t discriminate, have preferences, or favorites as to which cartridges and rifles get through to its final destination and which ones do not.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I looked at the Ruger African in 375 Ruger today at Cabela's, nice rifle, very light, iron sights lined up perfect (although I will scope the rifle I buy) I'm still concerned about the weight and recoil. I looked at the new a Winchester Model 70 and liked it a lot, very smooth action, they didn't have a CZ. Picking a gun for Africa is as complicated as picking a PH! Thanks for all your help and keep your Comments coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not that complicated, Buy the Winchester or the Ruger, both are so well made you cannot possibly find a better value for the price.

Then come hunt with me. It's actually rather simple (in my very biased opinion!)

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good morning PAelksmacker, The way I look at it is how functional it's going to be for the job that needs to be done, then the price and then the brand. How many rounds of ammo are you going to fire in a year, is it an investment or are you buying it for a single trip?

I have a BRNO 375 and a CZ 550 Safari Classics in 458 Lott. Both are probably at the cheaper end of the scale but they WORK when required to do so. I had to have the 458 tweaked to get the bolt to work smoothly and there was a slight problem with the ejector which was fixed in a couple days and at low cost.

All depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend. Good luck with your hunt for a good PH!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Morning Jim, hope you are well !

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 375 H&H RSM is a great candidate for a rebore to 404 Jefferey. As it is, it is a bit heavy for a 375. Though it is hard to get a 375 from an American rifle maker that isn't on the too heavy side, with the exception of the 375 Ruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter, been away quite a bit, missed your call. We need to talk.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...Remember too, that 375 H&H ammo and/or rifle can get lost during transport by the airlines just as easily as 375 Ruger ammo and/or rifle can.

That's very true, and if you fly a U.S.-based airline directly from the U.S. to Africa, you should be able to pack your ammo in your gun case so that you wouldn't have your gun without your ammo. For other scenarios, your mileage may vary on being able to pack your ammo in your gun case (and there may be quirky rules to deal with if you have another flight within Africa).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hit me with an email on hunthuntinginafrica.co.za I know you talk less than my current first wife so we can say a lot in a short time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
...Remember too, that 375 H&H ammo and/or rifle can get lost during transport by the airlines just as easily as 375 Ruger ammo and/or rifle can.

That's very true, and if you fly a U.S.-based airline directly from the U.S. to Africa, you should be able to pack your ammo in your gun case so that you wouldn't have your gun without your ammo. For other scenarios, your mileage may vary on being able to pack your ammo in your gun case (and there may be quirky rules to deal with if you have another flight within Africa).

Not exactly true. I just did RT to RSA and neither ICE or TSA or SAPS or SAA would allow ammo in gun case either going to RSA or returning.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

576 members (1Akshooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.