Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KDK
I love Lakeview and it's surrounding areas. If I could find work there, I'd move in a heartbeat.

A good friend of mine lives in Lakeview. He says that any man with ambition can do well there (houses are only $45,000).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome thread, probl'y aint a one of us would love to go through that school cool

Pardon me fer asking the obvious.... was there a backstop for that 1,000 ridgeline plate?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pardon me fer asking the obvious.... was there a backstop for that 1,000 ridgeline plate?

Yes, it was a good 40 yards below the ridgeline, and the Mountain Behind it is still in ThunderRanch Property.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45

A Leupold??? But, but, but, I thought every time a Leupold goes to a "shooting school" it breaks? At leasts that's what I've read on the optics forum... over and over again.... crazy

We had one scope Break. A 2002 Leupold on a 300 Win Mag. It had lasted through 2 barrells and gave up Friday, half way through the 3rd barrel.

Elevation adjustment jammed. Fixed in 4 days fro free.

BMT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
BMT,

Very nice write up and pictures. What were you shooting for ammo (sorry if I missed it)? Did you notice any handicap shooting a hunting weight rifle (I'm guessing your setup was < 8 pounds?) versus the heavier tactical type rifles?

IC B2

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jds44
BMT,

Very nice write up and pictures. What were you shooting for ammo (sorry if I missed it)? Did you notice any handicap shooting a hunting weight rifle (I'm guessing your setup was < 8 pounds?) versus the heavier tactical type rifles?

Ammo was Black HIlls 175 grain Sierra Match King BTHP in 308.

I did not notice a serious issue shooting with a "deer rifle". My rifle and scope was seriously TESTED by this class, however. Still, I did as well as any other shooter. Lots of Robars, GAPs, Nightoforces, and Schmidt and Benders, in the group. But many Rem 700P/LTR etc also.

BMT

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the reply. The Scenar 155's seem to be the hot ticket these days and I was wondering that's what you were using. Nice to see "old school" ammo and a lightweight rifle getting it done.

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jds44
Thanks for the reply. The Scenar 155's seem to be the hot ticket these days and I was wondering that's what you were using. Nice to see "old school" ammo and a lightweight rifle getting it done.

Most of the Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 168s. Old School stuff.

BMT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BMT

Are they jacketed lead bullets? I looked at the TR website and saw they want non-lead bullets used?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TR website is confusing in that one page appears to indicate that ALL classes at the Oregon location require lead-free, frangible bullets, but then another page clearly states that a couple of their rifle courses (the High Angle being one of them), do not require lead-free, frangible bullets.

One other thing that was confusing when I looked at their website is that while they have different prices for their three-day and four-day classes, it isn't readily apparent from some of the course descriptions whether those classes are three or four days. Then on one of the other pages it clearly states which classes are the four day classes (which would mean all the other ones are three day classes).

TR would be well-served to have someone who isn't familiar with their website to look through it and point out where there are details missing or inconsistencies/confusion in their information. However, given how many of their classes are already booked over the next year and a half, the small faults with their website don't appear to be hurting their registrations, so they probably aren't concerned that the needed information isn't necessarily readily seen without going through most of the pages on their website.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
The TR website is confusing in that one page appears to indicate that ALL classes at the Oregon location require lead-free, frangible bullets, but then another page clearly states that a couple of their rifle courses (the High Angle being one of them), do not require lead-free, frangible bullets.

Good catch!

If I planned to attend, I'd likely be on the phone with them a bit.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by BMT

Are they jacketed lead bullets? I looked at the TR website and saw they want non-lead bullets used?

Lead free is used on the main range deck (size of a football field). This is where 99% of the shooting (overall) takes place. (Maybe 3,000 rounds a DAY!)

The Mid and Long Range shooting area (in my pictures) gets very few rounds in comparison and thus the lead is not a problem. (Maybe 3,000 rounds a YEAR).

BMT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lost track of this thread in the queue. Thanks for the answer.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.