Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5306921 - 06/06/11 04:38 AM Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die
milespatton Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Arkansas
What is the difference and which should I use to reload .38 special for my S&W revolver? I have never reloaded pistol bullets before, just rifle, so any tips would be appreciated. miles

#5306955 - 06/06/11 04:54 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: milespatton]
TomC321 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Maryland
I believe the difference is that the “factory crimp die” is a roll crimp, suitable for revolver cartridges like the .38 Special and the “taper crimp die” is a taper crimp suitable for cartridges used in auto pistols like the .45 ACP that headspace on the mouth of the case.

#5306974 - 06/06/11 05:04 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: milespatton]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Pushing a broom at OU....
Originally Posted By: milespatton
What is the difference and which should I use to reload .38 special for my S&W revolver? I have never reloaded pistol bullets before, just rifle, so any tips would be appreciated. miles
You're quite the salty dog for someone who talks a lot of trash in your posts, aren't you? smirk

Taper crimp dies are for autoloaders, roll crimp dies are for revolvers (and other guns where bullets jumping forward or being pushed backwards is inadvisable).

The Lee handgun factory crimp die offers either a taper crimp for autoloaders or a roll crimp for revolvers. The item that particularly sets them apart from other crimp dies is the addition of a carbide sizing ring.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Lee-Carbide-Factory-Crimp-Die/

#5307003 - 06/06/11 05:18 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: Bricktop]
milespatton Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Arkansas
Quote:
You're quite the salty dog for someone who talks a lot of trash in your posts, aren't you? smirk

Piss off. miles

#5307247 - 06/06/11 06:54 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: milespatton]
dla Offline
Campfire Regular

The Lee FCD is easier to use as it isn't sensitive to the length of the brass. I wouldn't call it a "roll crimp", rather it is more of a collet crimp.

#5307271 - 06/06/11 07:04 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: dla]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: dla
The Lee FCD is easier to use as it isn't sensitive to the length of the brass. I wouldn't call it a "roll crimp", rather it is more of a collet crimp.
Uh, no. The factory crimp dies for rifle cartridges is a collet style crimp, whereas the ones for handgun calibers are either roll or taper crimp, depending on the calibers. They're two different animals.

#5307362 - 06/06/11 07:34 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: Bricktop]
Bricktopisgay Offline

Dicktop are you on here being sassy again? You silly boy

#5307386 - 06/06/11 07:39 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: Bricktop]
dla Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: Bricktop
Uh, no. The factory crimp dies for rifle cartridges is a collet style crimp, whereas the ones for handgun calibers are either roll or taper crimp, depending on the calibers. They're two different animals.

Hmmm, I use the FCD on my 44mag fodder. It certainly looks to operate exactly the same as my FCD for my 45-70 fodder - and it is not a roll crimp. Perhaps the FCD is different for cartridges that headspace on the casemouth, such as 45acp.

The beauty of the FCD over roll crimping is that you can get away without performing an initial trim of the cartridge brass. If you try to use a generic roll crimp with unequal length brass, you will get some over crimped and some under crimped.

#5307404 - 06/06/11 07:43 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: dla]
gunner500 Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Oklahoma
My Lee FCD's are more like a stab crimp, kinda similar to the old Kynoch nitro rounds.
I like the Lee FCD.

Gunner

#5307430 - 06/06/11 07:51 AM Re: Lee factory crimp die vs Lee taper crimp die [Re: dla]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: Bricktop
Hmmm, I use the FCD on my 44mag fodder. It certainly looks to operate exactly the same as my FCD for my 45-70 fodder - and it is not a roll crimp. Perhaps the FCD is different for cartridges that headspace on the casemouth, such as 45acp.

The beauty of the FCD over roll crimping is that you can get away without performing an initial trim of the cartridge brass. If you try to use a generic roll crimp with unequal length brass, you will get some over crimped and some under crimped.
These don't look the same to me:

The definitions don't sound the same either:

"A carbide sizer sizes the cartridge while it is being crimped so every round will positvely chamber freely with factory like dependability. The adjusting screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp. It is impossible to buckle the case as with a conventional bullet seating die. Trim length is not critical so this extra operation takes less time than it would if cases were trimmed and chamfered.

Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount. A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. The crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small to properly head-space."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
82 registered (artur, 1OntarioJim, 35, 4ager, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 699 Guests and 296 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633955 Topics
9094419 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.