Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shooting animals at 600+ yards isn't hunting. It takes alot of practice, ammo, and money to hit at those ranges consistantly, but don't call it hunting.

It never ceases to amuse me to see these stupid comments that show up here about once a year.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"Killing game at at 40 yards isn't hunting.....",said the guy with the atlatl to the guy with the new long bow.....

"Shooting game at 250-400 yards isn't hunting....."said the guy with the iron sighted 45-70 to the other guy with the 270 Winchester and 2.5x Lyman Alaskan.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Shooting game at 35 yards is TOUGH!" said the guy with a 7X57.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
"Killing game at at 40 yards isn't hunting.....",said the guy with the atlatl to the guy with the new long bow.....

"Shooting game at 250-400 yards isn't hunting....."said the guy with the iron sighted 45-70 to the other guy with the 270 Winchester and 2.5x Lyman Alaskan.....
grin

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
"Shooting game at 35 yards is TOUGH!" said the guy with a 7X57.

That'll leave a mark... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Shooting animals at 600+ yards isn't hunting. It takes alot of practice, ammo, and money to hit at those ranges consistantly, but don't call it hunting.

Ok, what is hunting? 200 yards and less with a scoped deer rifle?

In that video, the elk was used as nothing more than a living target to prove a cartridge/rifle combo. Thye clearly could have closed the distance to at least 300-400yds, but chose to sit on the bluff and use the elk to sell a rifle. smirk

That's not hunting. mad

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ok, what is hunting? 200 yards and less with a scoped deer rifle?

In that video, the elk was used as nothing more than a living target to prove a cartridge/rifle combo. Thye clearly could have closed the distance to at least 300-400yds, but chose to sit on the bluff and use the elk to sell a rifle. smirk

That's not hunting. mad

Neither is any gun hunting. Bowhunting is the only real hunting, those that use a rifle as a crutch for any distance are just humoring themselves to be hunters.

Bottom line WTF do you care? I"ve said if its legal, WGAF anyway or why should they? Just to feel superior to someone else? Its crap like this that divides the sport and lets the antis feed freely.

I"m almost surprised your handle isn't dsmf instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also bowhunt, muzzleloader hunt, hunt with open sights, hunt with scopes, hunt with handguns, and rifles.

If ethics and methods don't matter, why does B&C and P&Y place limits on the manner and place of taking an animal?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 264wm
Couldn't agree with you more. Every hunter has individual skill levels. This year is a good year for me because I am recovered from back surgery and I drew a milti season deer tage here in WA. That means I can hunt archery, muzzle loader and modern fire arm seasons untill I bag my deer. So I can hunt deer from Sept 1 thru the end of Dec. I have never taken anything over 400 yrds or tried even though I am confident that with a little practice I could as I have shot 800 yrd metal targets with a M1 Garand sniper rifle. I have been told buy a forum member that I am reckless and irresponsable for making head shots on coyotes, deer, elk and bear.

What?? I thought I was being ethical and responsible, they never knew what his them.....yote 176 yds later LRF, #1 Ruger Kepplinger trigger, 6BR, 105 Amax.....never complained after I squeezed....not even a whimper.....as the doe at a mere 45 yds...at dusk in woods so as not to risk possible losing or trailing a deer w/a 'target bullet' (same gun/load) I was 'shot placement conscious' and did my due diligence smile They were both facing me, and I imagine they saw a bright light as they transported into another world. Quick, humane, what not to like? Granted, THESE shots have to be selected, but when everything is right, they are effective....and efficient.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BR: Nice shot wink grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My young man, Elmer Keith I did know and I'll never forget his ability with a .44 magnum pistol shooting at big game animals!

I have several articles that Elmer wrote years ago, I do have a fairly decent library of writers, such as Peter H. Capstick, Finn Aaagard, Ruark, Col. Adkins, Jack O'Conner, Skeeter Skelton, John Wooter, Jack Lott, John Lachuk, Bob Milek, Payton Miller, Rick Jamison, Bob Hagel, Pete Bello, Grits Gresham, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, John Barness, Warren Page, Craig Boddington and Jim Carmicheal. I dare say, that none of these writer hunters would or did shoot 600, 700 or 800 yards at any big game animals.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/07/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tonk
.......... Peter H. Capstick, Finn Aaagard, Ruark, Col. Adkins, Jack O'Conner, Skeeter Skelton, John Wooter, Jack Lott, John Lachuk, Bob Milek, Payton Miller, Rick Jamison, Bob Hagel, Pete Bello, Grits Gresham, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, John Barness, Warren Page, Craig Boddington and Jim Carmicheal.....

Who? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also bowhunt, muzzleloader hunt, hunt with open sights, hunt with scopes, hunt with handguns, and rifles.

If ethics and methods don't matter, why does B&C and P&Y place limits on the manner and place of taking an animal?

So DMS tell us what shots you will take? And where all do you hunt on a regular basis?

You do stand hunting? If so, if a deer is bumped and runs by will you shoot it?

How do you feel about running shots on whitey's?

What kind of elk hunting experience do you have?

Do you hunt guided and or DIY?

When hunting yotes (if you do) do you use dogs, a mouth call, an E call?

Your mzl loader a traditional or an in line? And with round ball or what, and with open sights or scoped?

Bow, recurve, long bow or compound? Fingers or release? Sights or instinctive?

Do you fish? If so with bait or fly fish only?

Just trying to get a feel for what your ways are is all.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/07/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good luck. I don't think he'll get the point though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tonk
My young man, Elmer Keith I did know and I'll never forget his ability with a .44 magnum pistol shooting at big game animals!

I have several articles that Elmer wrote years ago, I do have a fairly decent library of writers, such as Peter H. Capstick, Finn Aaagard, Ruark, Col. Adkins, Jack O'Conner, Skeeter Skelton, John Wooter, Jack Lott, John Lachuk, Bob Milek, Payton Miller, Rick Jamison, Bob Hagel, Pete Bello, Grits Gresham, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, John Barness, Warren Page, Craig Boddington and Jim Carmicheal. I dare say, that none of these writer hunters would or did shoot 600, 700 or 800 yards at any big game animals.

Could it be that none of the others listed had the ability? Long Range ability isn't behind every bush....Yet given the right situation and conditions a clay target is toast at 600 every shot that comes out of the barrel. I"m pretty much figuring thats dead every time....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tonk,

There are at least a few writers on that list who could (and would be willing to) kill a big game animal at 600 yards. In fact I know that John Wootters shot at least one animal at around 600--before there were laser rangefinders and all the rest of the stuff that helps a lot these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I greedily take what the mountain gives me without complaining, whether it's 40 yards or 600. As long as it's within my abilities, I just say "thanks for that", and start packing meat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tonk,

There are at least a few writers on that list who could (and would be willing to) kill a big game animal at 600 yards. In fact I know that John Wootters shot at least one animal at around 600--before there were laser rangefinders and all the rest of the stuff that helps a lot these days.

.....And Warren Page wrote of doing it at least a couple of times on elk,and on a Kudu in Africa as well. Also O'Connor with that punk 270 smile and John Jobson with a 270 on a big Alaskan-Yukon bull moose....Elmer was also not above stretching things with the 300H&H or the 280 Dubiel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck. I don't think he'll get the point though.

No, you don't get it. In that video, THAT elk was shot TO SELL A GUN and cartridge. People who do that sort of thing are not people to be looked up to. They are no different than the slob hunters that get all the bad press and they do more to hurt hunting than help it.

I wonder what else in life you have no problems with, "because it's legal"? Should 14 yr olds be marrying 40 yr olds? Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it should be promoted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

So DMS tell us what shots you will take? And where all do you hunt on a regular basis? New York and North Carolina

You do stand hunting? [Yes] If so, if a deer is bumped and runs by will you shoot it? I have and will shoot moving deer.

How do you feel about running shots on whitey's? In the woods of New York, it's not uncommon. It's no different than shooting a duck or goose on the fly.

What kind of elk hunting experience do you have? None

Do you hunt guided and or DIY? Semi-Guided in NC, on my own in NY

When hunting yotes (if you do) do you use dogs, a mouth call, an E call? I shoot them while small game hunting and deer hunting. No calls or dogs used.

Your mzl loader a traditional or an in line? And with round ball or what, and with open sights or scoped? Yes to both. Savage MKII with 3-9x40, and T/C Renegade with patched round ball.

Bow, recurve, long bow or compound? Fingers or release? Sights or instinctive? 70-80 pound draw weight Compound with fingers or release with sights, and 60% letoff.

Do you fish? If so with bait or fly fish only? Not lately, but spincast fish with worms and lures depending on the fish.

Just trying to get a feel for what your ways are is all.

Dober

Last edited by dmsbandit; 06/08/11.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.