Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have any of you tired your hand at black bear hunting in California?

There are a bunch of nice black bears hidden or nor hidden sometimes. Sometimes you can see three or more bears a day by hiking in the mountains like Shasta or Tahoe mountain ranges.

I am thinking about buying a tag to carry next year I go hunting.
It is only 43 dollars for the tag. That is not a bad price.

So have any of you gentleman hunted bear in California?

Winnie1300

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have. I lived in Los Angeles for nearly 36 years, and hunted all over the State.

I killed a 250 pound Black bear north of the Eel River in Shasta County, and a 400 pound Black bear in Tulare County. Both bears were killed while I was hunting with a guide who had bear dogs.

My wife and I also owned a vacation home on the western slope of the Sierra in southern Tulare County. Our property was bounded on the west and north by the Sequoia Nat'l. Forest. There were lots of Black bears up there! Still are, from what I hear from some friends who still live up there.

The meat from the two I killed was excellent. The rendered lard was outstanding for baking pie crusts, biscuits, pancakes, etc.

That $43.00 price for a resident Black bear tag is somewhat higher than when I hunted them. It was $6.00 for the two I killed. grin

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first big game animal I ever shot was a black bear. We were deer hunting above Lake Shasta.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I always carry a bear tag during deer season, just this past year two of my friends bagged bears that way.

I am running into more hunters out here that actually like bear meat better than deer, bears in the 200-300 pound range are great eating but I wouldnt turn down vension for it!!

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed several with this one being my best, it squared 7 ft 5 in without stretching.
I have a friend with hounds and we get together most years.

[Linked Image]

My son's 6 1/2 footer

[Linked Image]

Bears treed but passed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

California has some huge black bears, I know of a few that friends have killed that squared over 8 foot.
I've seen some bruisers while deer hunting in the back country too.
The season was open, but in California by law you must bring out all the meat and that was simply not an option when you are in over six miles and have to backpack it out.
Not impossible, but I wasn't in the mood at the time...

blush

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I think most of the bears in California come from deer hunters who pick up the tag for the extra $40. I have seen some big bears but have never actually pulled the trigger for a variety of reasons. If I was hunting any of the wilderness areas I would definitly not pull the trigger on the first one you say, there are plenty in the 300lb range.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For you guys that give weights for your bears; how is that determined?

Do you actually have a scale, using heart-girths to estimate or just reckoning?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I said in my post, I was hunting both times with professional bear guides. They carried a scale in their packs. After the kill they'd hook the scale to a tree branch and weigh the bear. Then we'd gut the bear.

Don't know how others weigh them.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks, L.W.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I base my weights on experience with a couple thousand domestic hogs, I would never try to claim my estimates are within x%. I understand hair can throw off a guess but 300lbs of meat on the hoof looks like 300lb of meat. I would never try to estimate how a hide would measure or pretend to know the difference between a pretty good bear and a BC bear.

I dont hunt bear myself and pass on any thing I see to those looking for them. I estimate the largest black bear I have ever seen in California had to be close to 400lb, it was major work to get him rolled over for skinning. I honestly dont know how they deal with the huge browns when they are trying to keep a hide intact.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Remember that tip I gave you about carrying a predator call while hunting deer? It brings in bruins, besides.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
For you guys that give weights for your bears; how is that determined?

Do you actually have a scale, using heart-girths to estimate or just reckoning?

Funny you ask, because I have been asking that same question for years. Seems every bear shot around where I live is 400lbs, haha.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The World record Pope & Young archery black bear was taken in Northern California's Mendocino County in 1993.

23 3/16" skull.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw 2 black bears (one large cinnamon colored) while hiking in Sequoia. There are a ton of bears up there and we also saw many trucks with bear dogs in the area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EricM
I saw 2 black bears (one large cinnamon colored) while hiking in Sequoia. There are a ton of bears up there and we also saw many trucks with bear dogs in the area.

Yep, there are some big bruisers there in the Sierra, and some really huge ones in the San Bernadino Mountains, too. My wife and I owned a vacation home on the western slope of the Sierra at about 6,000 feet altitude, southern Tulare County, from 1969 until we sold it in 2000, after we moved to Idaho. It was not at all unusual to see Black bears around our tiny community.

If I lived in California (again) and wanted a good sized Black bear, I'd contract with a noted California bear guide and go bust one... if I were in good shape. Hunting Black bears behind dogs in the Sierra, can be a real chore! grin

L.W.

Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I knew there were some big bears but not that big.

Heck I just saw a cinnamon bear about 150 200 pounds go up a sky slope this morning. I was thinking what a good rug or wall hanging the fur would be.

I think I will pick up a tag and have a option of hunting one as well as deer.

My next question is if I was going to use the Ruger 30-06 what grain bullet should I pack along for bears? I have 150 Barnes TTSX but I think a heavy weight would be more better suited for the situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some real whoppers show up in the Sierra subdivisions every year.

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20100224/NEWS/100229969

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
CA has a lot of bears.. Best areas are burns that are from 5-8000' elevations if you can find these burns that are 3-5 years old and loaded with elderberrys, choke cherries, and goose berries there should be bears nearby..

You're 150 gr. TTSX's will be fine..Black bears are not the steel reinforced armored tanks that some folks make them out to be..

Last edited by MuleyFan; 06/09/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 63 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.