Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"trolling, lying, sack of schitt"

Very adult response..... but typical of you.

So you shot a rifle a VERY few times, never owned one, never hunted one, have no idea how well it shoots but feel qualified to offer a "subjective" comment on it ?

The analogy is spot on:
"inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others "

My EXPERIENCE with the F40 is analogous to your's with the Mauser...... VERY limited.

When I comment on something it is based on a reasonable amount of experience OR comments by those who are know experts on the subject.

A simple example: I have never shot BPCR matches but would be confident quoting Mike Venturino on the subject.

The OP wasn't looking for an unqualified subjective opinion, he was looking for people with REAL experience with it....... like me.

Finally here's a quote from 2005 from a fellow who actually READ real reviews by respected gunwriters:
"I read a couple of good reviews back when they came out. Seems that Europeans aren't married to the idea that rifle technology stopped with the 108 year old Mauser '98. Mauser has been coming out with newer and different models since day one.
The straight pull 96 was reviewed and had good accuracy. The straight pull was said to be extremely fast for follow up shots. The main downside of the old straight pulls (like the Schmidt and Rubin) is that the action used to be less strong and that is why they fell by the wayside of history. As cartridges got more powerful and developed more pressure, the standard bolt action made more sense.
Evidently Mauser adressed this and the reviewer seemed to think that this was not an issue.
This rifle is no longer in production, I think. I think I remember them as closeouts listed by JG sales in shotgun news for around 400 bucks dealer cost. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. Commercial Mausers are elegant and high quality german and Belgian made guns.
All of the ones I have shot and inspected display the kind of manufacturing you have come to expect from European arms. "

Note, NOTHING about bolt handles failing like the wonderful 700.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool etc............

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know how much I shot the rifle in question? You were there?
You're a trolling dolt.
Thank you for proving my point half-wit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calhoun (15,000+ posts) said:
"Got one in 270.. shoots sub-moa."

There is a search function on this site.... surprised an "expert" like THOMASMAGNUM is unaware of it...... LOL

A few other comments from OWNERS:

1. The most accurate out of the box rifle, Ive seen in a Mauser straight pull "96" in 6.5x55. Great little rifle - sadly was discontinued. Parts, stocks etc have dried up. I found one dealer in Finland, I think - who had any parts. Some models came with detachable box magazines. Some came with plastic stocks, some were blued, others more of a Phospate coating. Some were drilled and tapped for the same bases used on Rem 700 actions...... Great rifles............

2. I just kinda stumbled across this one. I was tired of my 742...wanted some tighter groups, but something a little more unique than a regular bolt action. I was kinda kicking around the idea of an 1895 Winchester clone in .30/06, but I still wasn't quite sold on it. I saw an M96 at a local gun shop, and found a couple of positive write-ups and my search began. I found that prices varied wildly from dealer to dealer, and finally found a decent deal on one. Caliber choices were pretty limited, but I was looking for a .30/06 anyway, and that's what I ended up with.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. There's a bit more plastic on it than I'd care for, but on the other hand, nothing has broken yet, and I don't have to touch any cold metal to carry the thing. I would like to resolve the blind magazine issue, but I can live with it the way it is.

If you get a chance to check it out, you should by all means do so. It's a pretty good, fast little shooter. And I can pretty much promise you that nobody else in deer camp (Or the deer woods for that matter ) will have one.

Think we've answered the question about your credibility on this rifle........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Calhoun (15,000+ posts) said:
"Got one in 270.. shoots sub-moa."

There is a search function on this site.... surprised an "expert" like THOMASMAGNUM is unaware of it...... LOL

A few other comments from OWNERS:

1. The most accurate out of the box rifle, Ive seen in a Mauser straight pull "96" in 6.5x55. Great little rifle - sadly was discontinued. Parts, stocks etc have dried up. I found one dealer in Finland, I think - who had any parts. Some models came with detachable box magazines. Some came with plastic stocks, some were blued, others more of a Phospate coating. Some were drilled and tapped for the same bases used on Rem 700 actions...... Great rifles............

2. I just kinda stumbled across this one. I was tired of my 742...wanted some tighter groups, but something a little more unique than a regular bolt action. I was kinda kicking around the idea of an 1895 Winchester clone in .30/06, but I still wasn't quite sold on it. I saw an M96 at a local gun shop, and found a couple of positive write-ups and my search began. I found that prices varied wildly from dealer to dealer, and finally found a decent deal on one. Caliber choices were pretty limited, but I was looking for a .30/06 anyway, and that's what I ended up with.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. There's a bit more plastic on it than I'd care for, but on the other hand, nothing has broken yet, and I don't have to touch any cold metal to carry the thing. I would like to resolve the blind magazine issue, but I can live with it the way it is.

If you get a chance to check it out, you should by all means do so. It's a pretty good, fast little shooter. And I can pretty much promise you that nobody else in deer camp (Or the deer woods for that matter ) will have one.

Think we've answered the question about your credibility on this rifle........

When I did offer anything other than the simple statement I made. The OP seems to grasp that just fine.
I made no mention of the rifles accuracy, durability, etc.
I simply stated my personal dislike of plastic bolt handle. Something the very person you quote acknowledges as well.

However please continue to troll on. You're looking foolish yet again.
Its rather amusing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup I'm the dummy who actually had some FACTs, rather than a self admitted "subjective" (inaccurate) opinion.

Heck you don't even know what "trolling" is. HINT it doesn't involve posting factual data that you just can't debate.

Now here's your chance to put up or shut up (as well as showing what a deal the OPs rifle is).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234245655

Buy it and give us a comprehensive report supported by verifiable information, not some "subjective" opinion of no value to anyone here.

As for Troll:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

Your foul mouthed name calling certainly fits that to a "T".
My facts do not.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I once drove a Ferrari F40 for 100 miles too, but would hardly feel qualified to evaluate it, as could the fellow who owned it (still has it) and has driven it 70,000 miles.

I seem to recall an oft mentioned problem with 700 bolt handles breaking off...... grin

Lets ask Swampy. grin

I'm not sure Swampy can help. He may have forgot. wink

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
goodie both you and thomas are troling. Remember what your parents should have told you if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup I'm the dummy who actually had some FACTs, rather than a self admitted "subjective" (inaccurate) opinion.

Heck you don't even know what "trolling" is. HINT it doesn't involve posting factual data that you just can't debate.

Now here's your chance to put up or shut up (as well as showing what a deal the OPs rifle is).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234245655

Buy it and give us a comprehensive report supported by verifiable information, not some "subjective" opinion of no value to anyone here.

As for Troll:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

Your foul mouthed name calling certainly fits that to a "T".
My facts do not.

First off dimwit I have no interest, desire, or need for that rifle. If I did I could likely buy the one my hunting parnter has, and likely would to that given its known history.

Secondly how much have you actually fired the Mauser in question? Your initial post only given your opinion of the rifle and makes not mention having even fired one or owned one for that matter. Since then the only post you've made are to quote other people who have owned with. A quote of which serves to back up my feelings on the plastic bolt handle.
Do tell Lawrence?... Lets read some "facts" from you on shooting one first hand, not quotes from someone else you has.
Failing that I think its reasonable to say my experience having fired my buddy's on several occasions(probably near 200rounds worth, maybe more) could very well trump whatever you have laid on the table thus far.
Your continued hounding only serves to show the troll you truly are.
I in fact only insulted you after your poorly thought out, and illegitimate analogy used to attack me.
Carry on, I expect nothing less from the Campfire Classifieds Clown.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
257WBYLOVER,
I've done nothing more than respond to a peson who sought to atttack my credibilty. Please read my first post. I was merely offering the O.P. some input, and said nothing bad about the rifle in question.

Lawrence Root aka goodiewrench can not say the same.

OP Offline
Well we all kinda got off topic there but I did enjoy the gunbroker link, it had some great pics and makes me feel good about the $489 price, I might go down and buy the gun today, I'll keep you all posted and upload some pics if I get it.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
257WBYLOVER,
I've done nothing more than respond to a peson who sought to atttack my credibilty. Please read my first post. I was merely offering the O.P. some input, and said nothing bad about the rifle in question.

Lawrence Root aka goodiewrench can not say the same.
The only thing i was saying is if you cant say something dont say anything at all. Not trying to be rude to you or goodie.

Last edited by 257WBYLOVER; 06/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck they are nice rifles, and yes in my experience like others have mentioned here, very accurate.
If you get it I hope you enjoy it. It will likely serve you very well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257WBYLOVER
The only thing i was saying is if you cant say something dont say anything at all. Not trying to be rude to you or goodie.

No worries.
I just wanted to clarify that I am not trolling. A person who has been banned on this site numerous times, and under many different usernames attempted to attack my credibility on something and I responded.

Unfortunatly my doing so likely provided Lawrence aka Goodiewrench the jollies he was seeking in his initial response to my post.
For that I am sorry.

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had one in 30-06 and it was a good rifle. I got rid of it because it looked like repair parts were going to be nonexistent. It was made IIRC just before the Blaser/Sauer/Mauser merger and was basically the low margin stepchild which was quickly dropped. IIRC the barrel looked like it could be relatively easily swapped but of course this doesn't matter as the parts are probably very hard to find. Even with the lack of repair parts I would buy one in 6.5x55 if I came across one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with your purchase. I probably put 500+ round through mine, it was a solid 1.5" rifle and killed 3 Whitetails with it. Reloads were very fast (but unnecessary): slap. slap never off the shoulder. More stable than a 99 as you're not levering down but back.

The neat thing about the 300 WinMag is the 26" barrel. You'll be able get the full potential out of that fine cartridge.

Good hunting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shizer,
If you end up getting it, and need bases by buddy Gary has a set you can have. I just talked to him about it. We are both local to Az. What part are you in? The valley?

OP Offline
Prescott Valley... U?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chandler, but I get up that way regularly.
Going to be making a run up to J&G in the coming weeks.

OP Offline
It got bought out from under me, sat there for a month and got sold in the couple days it took me to get back to the store. I'm sure there is a lesson here some where. Now I start back at zero...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The bolt handle is so far forward of the trigger, it looks to me like it would be awkward to reach up and grab it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.