Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've narrowed My choice for My first serious air rifle to one of these 2. They seem to be priced about the same. The use will be small game and targets. I like light to medium weight, less recoil/noise and high velocity. 22cal. or .177? The experienced guys seem to favor the 22 for more punch on small game. So, which is it - The RWS or the Trail Nitro Piston? What all around pellet to use and the better suppliers for purchase?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Get the RWS ,m34 Panther.

In the synthetic stock, the Panther will shoot about as smooth as the nitro once broken in and will produce more speed.

I feel they are also a higher quality gun. Hard to beat German quality for around $250.

Last edited by jim62; 06/04/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks - Jim - I see that Mid South has the 34 Panther for $176. Should I get .177 or .22? Also,I read a review that stated that The Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston was made in China. Is this so?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had an intimate relation ship with the Crosman Nitro Piston guns since they came out. Through a writer friend I was able to shoot the heck out of one of the first Crosman Nitros when they were introduced in 2009.

I was also at SHOT in 2010 when the new Trail Series Benjamin Nitros were introduced. YES they DEFINITELY are made in CHINA!

Just so you know-I am like Crosman . I believe they try to offer a lot of gun for the $$- BUT they do also play a lot of "Corporate Games" with their sourcing of parts etc.

Now given the "country of origin" laws for all I know, a "German made" RWS m34 could have as many Chinese parts in it as the Crosman does..

The real issue is this.

No matter WHAT type of piston drives ANY break barreled Air rifle, that gun WILL NOT shoot accurately or last over time is the breech block system is not well fitted. This takes precision Craftsmanship and and requires more quality control and precision machining than building a PCP or CO2 gun.

RWS/Dianawerk has been building quality Spring guns a "bit" longer than Crosman has.. wink

Last edited by jim62; 06/05/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Point taken. Thanks for the good direction.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is another vote for the RWS 34. I have one in .177 and it is a great backyard squirrel rifle. Best bang for the buck out there in pellet rifles.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by jim62
I have had an intimate relation ship with the Crosman Nitro Piston guns since they came out. Through a writer friend I was able to shoot the heck out of one of the first Crosman Nitros when they were introduced in 2009.

I was also at SHOT in 2010 when the new Trail Series Benjamin Nitros were introduced. YES they DEFINITELY are made in CHINA!

Just so you know-I am like Crosman . I believe they try to offer a lot of gun for the $$- BUT they do also play a lot of "Corporate Games" with their sourcing of parts etc.

Now given the "country of origin" laws for all I know, a "German made" RWS m34 could have as many Chinese parts in it as the Crosman does..

The real issue is this.

No matter WHAT type of piston drives ANY break barreled Air rifle, that gun WILL NOT shoot accurately or last over time is the breech block system is not well fitted. This takes precision Craftsmanship and and requires more quality control and precision machining than building a PCP or CO2 gun.

RWS/Dianawerk has been building quality Spring guns a "bit" longer than Crosman has.. wink

I beg to differ on your last paragraph.
Maybe that's true with Crosman guns, but not with HW or Webley, British, not Turkish guns.
Both of my rammed guns don't have that problem that you spoke of, and I've had them for almost
7 years now being rammed. Both have well over 10,000 rounds through them and are STILL shooting
very accurately.
[Linked Image]
This was done with my rammed Stingray .22 at 35 yards with a pellet that a won't mention. No breech problems with either guns what so ever, or any other problems for that matter.
Also, I've never heard of any breech problems with the Nitro guns. There's quite a few shooters on the Yellow forum that bought them and none have complained of this issue, ever. And these guys have years of experience with every type of airgun on the market.

S.W.A.G. it
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by xposo
Originally Posted by jim62

The real issue is this.

I beg to differ on your last paragraph.
Maybe that's true with Crosman guns, but not with HW or Webley, British, not Turkish guns.
Both of my rammed guns don't have that problem that you spoke of, and I've had them for almost
7 years now being rammed. Both have well over 10,000 rounds through them and are STILL shooting
very accurately.
[Linked Image]
This was done with my rammed Stingray .22 at 35 yards with a pellet that a won't mention. No breech problems with either guns what so ever, or any other problems for that matter.
Also, I've never heard of any breech problems with the Nitro guns. There's quite a few shooters on the Yellow forum that bought them and none have complained of this issue, ever. And these guys have years of experience with every type of airgun on the market.

Was the origional poster here asking about ANY other guns besides Crosman Nitros and RWS m34s???

NOTHING in my replycriticized gas rammed guns as a concept or any other brand of gun. I truly do NOT see what your mention of gas rammed Webley Stingrays has do do with the OP's question...

I also made a POINT to say that it IS NOT a matter of what drives the piston. It is a matter of quality control and craftsmanship in making a good break barrel gun.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with Gas rams. It's all about basic build quality. The coolest gas ram in the world cannot make up for poor QC in the rest of the gun

At this time,Crosman simply cannot run with RWS in building a quality piston gun.

On EVERY singe Airgunning forum(including the Yellow) at least SOMEONE has had issues with the lockup of the Breeching on a Nitro piston rifle. As well as poor accuracy. Crosman has replaced a lot of them.

If you don't believe that, go and carefully read the consumer reviews on the PyramidAir website of the Crosman and Benjamin Nitro guns.

Then compare those reviews to the RWS 34..

I think we all wish Crosman well. But indifferent quality control and playing bait and switch with the country of origin etc, is no way for them to gain any long term consumer confidence.

Last edited by jim62; 06/05/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Taconic11
I've narrowed My choice for My first serious air rifle to one of these 2. They seem to be priced about the same. The use will be small game and targets. I like light to medium weight, less recoil/noise and high velocity. 22cal. or .177? The experienced guys seem to favor the 22 for more punch on small game. So, which is it - The RWS or the Trail Nitro Piston? What all around pellet to use and the better suppliers for purchase?

Get the RWS and these pellets, I use the domed ones in both my model 36(117) and 52(22).
http://www.bing.com/shopping/crosma...osman%20premeire%20pellets&FORM=HURE

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Gorskij

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.