Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bkraft
Russell High Country Hunters with the Air Bob sole.

+1

Custom fit and if they don't fit "just right", they'll keep sending UPS to pick them up at their cost until they get it just right.

Alan

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenetrek Mountain boots. They are the best I've ever worn hands down. In the past I've used Cabelas Meindl's, Danner-various, and Rocky's. The Kenetrek are in a league of their own. I've got bad feet too, surgery on each of them. Cant say enough good about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Boots are more personal than a toothbrush. You've gotta go for fit, first & foremost.

AMEN!

I have wide feet. My hunting experiences and my enlistment in the Army have led me to try a variety of boots, and it has been surprising what works and what doesn't.

I've had boots from one manufacturer be awesome, and then another pair from that same manufacturer be a nightmare (Danner is the culprit here). I have found that I can't mail order boots--I need to try them on and walk around in the store for about 30 minutes (really! 30 minutes!) Now, if a boot doesn't feel terrific in the store, it's going to really feel "not terrific" outside. There is no sense in buying a pair of boots that doesn't fit just quite right and hoping to "break them in" through repeated use. Maybe that's what you had to do 30 years ago, but not anymore.

As for my own experiences with various brands, like I said, it's been all over the board:

Danners - About 10 pairs over the years. Mixed results. All bad with Chinese made Danners.

Irish Setter - 2 pairs. Same model. Fit and feel is great. One pair leaks and the other is tight as a drum. With a lot of SnoSeal I can waterproof the leaky pair. For the money, I like Irish Setter.

Meindl - 1 pair that I bought in Germany. They leaked and after 4 years, the sole fell off one boot.

Rocky - 1 pair. One boot rubs bad. Moleskin remedies that. Tough durable boots. Heavy though. I will definitely try another pair. For $130, if I can get a pair that doesn't rub, I'll be very happy.

Matterhorn - 1 pair. Good insulated, waterproof boot. Fit well for several years. Then one year I threw them into the closet wet and they dried with one boot bent at an odd angle. Next season, that boot began to rub my achilles really bad! Tried several fixes. Ended up tossing them.

Anyway, try 'em before you buy 'em. Then try 'em before you hunt 'em. Buy at Cabela's and you can return them w/o hassle. I bought a pair of Danners there last year. They felt great in the store, felt great in the summer getting ready, and they felt great while hunting. Except...the right boot leaked. I took them back to Cabela's in December. No questions asked. If a boot fails, they'll stand behind it. (So the next time somebody warns you about Cabela's high prices, keep that in mind.)

Good luck in your search! PLEASE let us know what you get AND how it works out for you!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Meindl's seem to run wide, and are a lot of boot for the money.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use nothing but high top insulated tennis shoes with a "flat sole" no heals...The old Galloshis if it's wet....Hunting needs no heals in my opinion aka just like Moccasins.

Your opinion may differ!!!!

Jayco

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by laker
Im looking for a new pair of hunting boots. What are your guys with wide feet favorite hunting boots?

I have very flat feet. I wear a 10 4E in Danner GT Snake Boots. Very comfy for about three days, no fault of the boots. Then I have to get back into my orthotics for a spell. We usually go into town for a good hot fresh meal during that time.

As Logcutter stated I like the flat soles with no heels.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm A Boot Slut. Got Over 20 Pair. As Most Have Said, The Danner's Are Hard To Beat As Long as Their Made in USA.The Rockys Seem To Be a Ok For a Cheaper Boot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.