-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking at the Uberti 1873 Cattleman/Bisley 357Mag for deer hunting: Are hunting loads OK in this Pistol? Or only Mild SWC loads?

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't shoot any full house 357 in a 73 toggle link action.
Look inside and see what is keeping the bolt out of your eye....there are no locking lugs like a 92'.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK
will go a different route, though I like the case hardening.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savorino
OK
will go a different route, though I like the case hardening.

Obviously you're speaking about the Bisley version of the Colt M1873 SAA handgun rather than the Winchester 1873 long gun. Uberti makes replicas of both but the Cattleman is the handgun and there has never been a Bisley version of the Winchester rifle or its clones.

I have owned multiple Ubertis. IMO, the 45 Colts should not be used with anything but loads okay for use in Colt SAA's. This does not preclude regular smokeless loads but instead only negates "Ruger Only" or above bombshells. I've never owned a .357 Mag. version so you would be well advised to ask this on a Cowboy Action shooting site where you might get more experienced users. As long as I'd read the literature with the gun and it didn't advise shooting only low-powered loads, I would shoot any standard .357 Mag. loads in it. Again, don't just take my word for it or do what I would do. Ask on a more specific site. The .357 Mag. versions of these type guns (Colts and their clones) are all of steel made for smokeless powder and all have much thicker cylinder walls than 45 Colts. I've never heard of the standard .357 Mag's being prohibited in them.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 06/12/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have a problem with either of my Uberti "Cattleman" revolvers and ammo choices.

The older one is marked 44 Magnum, but I only shoot 44 Special level loads in it. Did once fire one of my M629 hunting loads in it (200gr XTP/22grs of 2400) and damn near crippled myself, (crushed my middle finger on the rear of the trigger guard). One was enough. ;O)

The newer one is a Taylor's Smoke Wagon version, tuned action, in 38 WCF. Since I have a ton of WW factory ammo for it, that's all it will ever see, until I whup up some mild reloads someday.

They're WW 180gr SJ flat points and are fairly anemic, although I've killed deer with them in my old M92 Win. rifle. The owner's manual cautions against shooting anything other than factory fodder level ammo, in the Smoke Wagon.

I tend to take such advice, to the bank.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get the Ruger old model Vaquero and go forth and shoot!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think Uberti is putting out a .357 Mag. handgun incapable of shooting full-power factory level loads.

I can't speak to the older Uberti .44 Mags, but I believe they were beefed up from the regular Cattleman which chambered 45 Colt, etc. The new Uberti .44 Mag. looks to have a frame similar to the Super Blackhawk. I had an Uberti .44 Mag. several years back. It even had a brass frame. I believe I shot it with full-power loads but I'm not telling or recommending anybody else do it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Blackhawk or better for heavier loads. Just my $0.02.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

For sure it will handle the factory loads but it will never be a Ruger. It will worn out faster than the big Ruger but if you don't hot rod it it will be ok. I know some, used here without problem but their owner don't shoot 100 full power rounds each week. Generally when they want fun they use what we call 38Sp+P+, less than 357 but more than +P.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol I don't get some of you guys. If you had a Colt Python, which is generally regarded to be one of the best .357's in existence and NEVER said to be unsafe or even unwise to be used with full-power loads all the time, and you chambered it for .41 Mag.-a chambering in which a few were done, what y'all are saying about this gun would probably be true. Shoot it exceedingly sparingly with full power loads-if at all. This is due to the chamber thickness mainly. Same thing with the Uberti. The Uberti is every bit as strong a gun as a Colt SAA and I have NEVER heard of anybody saying to shoot the SAA sparingly with .357's nor have I heard anybody say that you shouldn't use it with full-power loads at all. In fact the only real differences between an Uberti and a Colt are cosmetic.

As far as "deer hunting loads", one can only guess at what the OP meant, but I assume he meant full-power factory loads which are suitable for about any deer. "Hot rodding"? I can't know what is meant by that either but I assume loads over anything in a loading manual or put out by a mainline manufacturer. The .357 is not known as a caliber normally hot-rodded and such loads are always a bad idea except in cases of say, 45 Colts in a Ruger. So I have to not be too worried about the average guy doing this.

Again, I don't recommend loads nor do I recommend doing what I do, but I personally would shoot the shixt out of it with full power .357's. I wish I had one of them Bisleys that CDNN was selling a couple of weeks back.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.