Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by roundoak
Huntr, thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I am always interested in learning more about the use of monolithic bullets in the 7x57.

Your 50gr H4350 load works well with cup and core 139-140gr bullets in 2 out of 3 7x57s I have. In fact one rifle handles the load with a 154gr Hornady InterLock.

Wayne

I recently picked up some Barnes 120 and 140 gr. TSX bullets for my 7x57. i notice in the latest barnes manual that W760 give some of the highest velocity with those bullets. That's probably the powder I'll start with when I do the load work up. I've gotten my best results regarding speed and accuracy with that powder in my three 7x57s.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
HR IC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is also a 110gn TSX out now in 7mm, and yes, 760 aka H 414 is the fastest powder I have chronographed in the 7mm Mauser case.

It works will all bullet weights. 45gn with 175's up to 53gn with 120's. That's about all you can get into the case.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are looking at other than the 140gn monolitics then the 120gn GS Custom bears close scrutiny.
In my 25in bbl I get 3235fps with the 120gn GS over 51gn BL-C2 and Fed 215's. Fantastic accuracy and good performance on the tough ferral goat so far.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I read all the posts here, and as none have nominated IMR 4064 with 140 gr. bullets, I will as it has shot well in my 7x57 with 140 grain Partitions and Sierras, if memory serves me...

I never chronographed the loads.

Also, the Speer 110 gr. HP in the 7x57 makes a pretty devastating varmint load on groundhogs; I presume Speer still makes that bullet.

You will enjoy the caliber; I am sure a lot of loads will work for you.

Last edited by BuckeyeSpecial; 03/11/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In a long throated rifle 52 gr H414 is nothing hot. In others it will be. When I first bought my Ruger (which is long throated) I had some rounds I had loaded for my M70 with 140's and 4350 that chrono'd 2875 in the Win. They didn't break 2700 fps in the Ruger. 52 gr H414 is great in it and goes over 2900 fps. I have shot thousands of these as this is my main hunting caliber. Loading data will vary immensely. You couldn't get enough 4350 in a Win case to hit 2800 fps in the Ruger!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by roundoak
Always have to chuckle when I see Bob's sig line. laugh

roundoak: Yes....many times I have felt so insecure about carrying a 270 that I have held off shooting because the animal was too small,in which event I would have over-killed it;or too big so that I would not have killed it dead enough...this may not make sense unless you realize there are varying degrees of "dead".......

.....the solution has been to get a rifle that was smaller....or bigger....as the case may be.

I have always been happier using a 7x57 because it is not as fast as the 270,and therefore kills with the first degree of "dead",as opposed to the second degree which is "too much" on smaller stuff.....

and because it has greater frontal area...(.007) is a LOT shocked ) it kills to the second degree of "dead" on much larger animals ...thereby making it much more suitable on a wider variety of game...which die to varying degrees depending of course on the degree of "dead" required to kill them.....

Have you noticed the same things....yourself??? crazy cool Huh!?

smile

You bring to mind an event that, up until your brilliant explanation, I have been unable to adequately describe. Was a morning when my son used the previously mentioned 50 gr 4350 load (H version) with a 140 Accubond on a nice 10 pt buck. Buck was killed precisely to Dead, Degree 1. At 100 yds or so bullet entered the right shoulder doing minimal meat damage then proceeded to do deadly work on the heart and lungs before exiting. Proper degree of dead was so perfectly met the buck was only able to turn, stumble, and fall downhill about 12 ft. If we add a Percentage Scale within Degree, I would further estimate he was perfectly killed at Dead, Degree 1, 50% +/- 2%.

However, on the same morning another hunter in camp used a .340 Weatherby with 225 gr BT factory load to shoot a 100 lb doe at about 20 yds. Here I would estimate the result to be Dead, Degree 5(max), 98% +/-2%. The entrance wound created by spalshback was almost the size of a dinner plate while the exit was the size of a saucer. Most everything between the wounds was gone. Regardless, the doe did not realize she was dead before her corpse had run 20 t0 30 yds, according to the shooter.

And therein lies my question. Can Degree of Death be diminished by the escape distance traveled or lack of falling or stumbling at the shot? And can it be increased according to volume of biomass removed by the projectile? Before we start flinging around these estimated Degrees of Death perhaps we should first better define our criteria. All in the interest of science.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So I finally got around to putting together some loads tonight and started with 48gr of 414 and it filled the case right to the base of the neck. For viisual purpposes I added 4 more grains and it came into the neck. Does this seem right? Im loading ttsxs so the longer bullets seem like this couuld pose a problem?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jryoung
So I finally got around to putting together some loads tonight and started with 48gr of 414 and it filled the case right to the base of the neck. For viisual purpposes I added 4 more grains and it came into the neck. Does this seem right? Im loading ttsxs so the longer bullets seem like this couuld pose a problem?

Just back off a hair and work up... only YOUR rifle can actually tell what it will digest.. also make a dummy round first and actually see how deep your chambers throat is...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My pushfeed 70 XTR Featherweight likes 51.0 of IMR 4831 and a 140 Nosler Partition at 2893 fps. Caribou--dead. Black bear--dead. Blacktails--deader than dead!

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting series of posts - at least some of them are-.

I'm trying to find a replacement powder for H205 for my old (1934 M98 Mauser, made for Venezuela by FN with a Douglas barrel). I had settled on a stiff load (two grains less than I had worked up to) that gave me over 2900 fps with the 140 Nosler Partition. The same load with 140 Ballistic Tips was over 3,000 fps and was too hot for my rifle as there was bolt stiffness. With the partition and the 139 g. Hornady the brass lasts for many reloads so pressures did not appear excessive. Ballistic Tips are another story. My rifle has a long throat so what works in mine may not work in another.

I've been trying H414 but the book max was 49 g. I will try Aussie Gun Writers load of up to 52 g. of H414 - working up from below.

Last fall I chronographed a series of loads in 0.5 g increments with H414 powder, WW brass, Winchester Magnum primers from 47 to 49 g. Velocities were from 2661 (47 g.) to 2789 (49 g.)fps. A week later 49.5 and 50 g. gave velocities (3 shot average)of 49.5 g = 2811, 50 g = 2836 fps.

There have been no signs of pressure on the brass or with the bolt lift so I'm ready to "lean on it" (with deference to Ingwe) to 52 g.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

J
jryoung Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
With your loads of 48+ grains with the H414 was the case visibly full? Working up safely aside(acknowledged), are there any implications to "compressing" the powder through seating the bullet assuming no other danger signs are present?

I do not have years of reloading experience so this issue caught me by suprise and sparked my curiosity as I have never seen it addressed and have always been able to hear the powder shake in the cartridge.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jr, Just put H414 powder in 4 cases (WW brass), 49 to 52 grains. 49 grains is just below the neck, 50 just at the neck, 51 just a little higher and 52 slightly higher in the neck. With a 139 g Hornady BTSP seated at my normal seating depth (3.11 OAL - the cannelure is above the neck of the brass).

The base of the bullet is just to the base of the neck. So the 52 grain load would be slightly compressed. But many loads are compressed in the loading manuals and I've never experienced any problems with the compressed loads I've used -- BUT I'M NO EXPERT -- Just an old geezer who has been loading for years but my experience while long is thin and spotty.

I prefer my cases to be nearly full of powder and like to be able to shake the case and hear the powder. (This is so I don't do something stupid like fail to put powder in the case.)

If there are no other pressure signs present; some compression does not concern me because so many recommended loads are compressed.

Good luck with your 7x57, mine was my main rifle for many years and for a long time it killed every deer I shot at. Then I screwed up a shot.

After a long hiatus of relatively little shooting and no hunting I recently dusted the old 7x57 off and hope to use her for an antelope hunt with the 120 g. Nosler BT that so many rave about for deer and antelope.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
49grs of 435O and the barnes 14Otsx out of a ruger 1a will put the first 2 touching-3rd shot always opens up to about 1 1/2". That little barrel heats up in a hurry. only chronographed it once and it came in at 2745-2765. real happy with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
huntr and i run the same load and bullets.
(we split a jug of h4350)

50.0 grains of h4350 under a 140 grain accubond.

i'm getting about 2850 fps, from a remington classic.

also shot a doe antelope at 470 yards, and another at 390 yards last sept.
both were pass thru's, with massive destruction.
huntr was the witness.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, that load just plain works!

BTW, Splatt, you about ready to split another jug of H4350? smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
50.0 grains of h4350 under a 140 grain accubond.

i'm getting about 2850 fps, from a remington classic.

Knew that worked very well in the son's 77 and figured 2800 or so. With a 22" barrel that's probably about right.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have you and spat tried the 140BT with that load? Wondering what they look like after hitting meat at a reasonable velocity.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
shootem,
Nope, haven't tried the 140BT on game, but would not worry about using them.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by jryoung
I just bought 700 mountain rifle in 7x57 that was made in 1989. From what I have seen is that because the 7x57 is such a historic round, and there are so many old guns chambered in it factory loads and load suggestions are rather anemic because the older guns can't handle the pressure.

I was looking through Hodgdon's Reloading magazine and came across the following loads for 140s. The left side is the minimum and the right is the max. To me, it seems that max load is still light, and I could push this more in a modern firearm.

My goal, which I think is doable is a load that pushes a 140gr bullet around 2,800fps. Certainly I'll work up to it, but do you have any pet loads that you love for the 7x57?

This should give you all you need
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=VroRwFqHnF&catid=16

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Following AussieGunWriter's suggestion of up to 52 grains of H414 in a long throated 7X57 I loaded a single round at 50.5, 51, 51.5 and 52 grains of H414, WW brass, WLRM primers with 140 g. PRVI bullets. Then shot them through my ProChrono chronograph.

Results were: 50.5g. = 2830 fps, 51 g. = 2849 fps, 51.5g. = 2879 fps, and 52g. = 2898 fps. No signs of pressure at all with these loads.

The Hornady Manual Fourth Edition gives a maximum load of 52.4 grains of Winchester 760. So his advice agrees with this 1991 manual and appears safe in my rifle.

Now to test for accuracy because the load seems safe and is approaching the velocity of my old load using H205.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
344 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.