24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's probably a bit large for pocket carry in most jeans, but I like my Springfield XD-9 Sub-compact.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like my Ruger LC9. Its been 100% reliable with over 400 rounds shot thru it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll answer the question re pocket 9mm...

As a long-time Kahr fan. I have always liked the PM9. They now have a CM9 that is about $100 less, and I wouldn't be afraid to go with that.

Currently, I am relying on a Keltec PF9. It has been 100% reliable so far with several hundred rounds through it - but it isn't built for longevity (per the manufacturer's info). Got a chance to inspect and dry-fire the Ruger LC9, and if I were looking to replace the PF9 right now, that is what I would go with. Sized right, priced competitively, better trigger and sights than the PF9, and Ruger's CS is about as good as Keltec's - and both are a bit better than Kahr's.

Prices for the above range about from $250 to $430.

If you are looking at something a little less compact - or if money is no object, you get a lot more good choices.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
kimber solo would be the one i would look at first

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the Solo a late offering from Kimber or has it been around for awhile? I'd just never heard of it before this thread.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Solo is a recent offering.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy a Solo on sight if I could find one!

Went to Cabela's today, ready to lay the cabbage down for one and they didn't have any. They have no clue when they might get some.

Is it just me or is Kimber taking a break from making guns?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like the looks of it...but it is 6 + 1 isn't it? Just wondering if you could do better capacity wise and still stay concealable.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I decided to go to 9mm's for most Self Defense uses a little over a year ago.

I went for a PF-9 for pocket and some holster carry. It has worked out well. I find it easy to shoot and reasonably accurate to 25'. My only gripe is I would like night sights.

I might have went for the LC-9 had it been available but it wasn't.

For strong right side in a holster I went to a G-19. It has
worked very well.

At one point I was carrying a P-32 or a Bodyguard [the old kind] for a weak side or jacket pocket gun. A G-27 was the main weapon and I quickly figured I wasn't willing to routinely carry it in a pocket so it spent is life in a variety of holsters, etc. G27's seem to be a little top heavy in a holster where the G-19's do much better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first choice is a Kahr P9.

Had a PM9, It was just too small for my hands. Couldn't "hit" as well with it.

Depends on whether it fits YOU!

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll put a vote in for the Lady Smith & Wesson! It is an accurate pistol that goes BANG everytime you pull the trigger fast. You try that with a Kel-Tec PF-9 and it will JAM on you. We had 4 of those pistols but only 1 would shoot 2 inch groups at 21 ft, the others were in the 6 to 8 inch groups. My wife's Glock 26 model, 9mm Luger shot 2-inch groups all day long at 30 ft.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a pocket carry gun, I'd only be looking for pie-plate sized accuracy at 10 FEET maximum. Anything beyond that and I'm haulin' azz!

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would normally say Kel-Tec PF9 and nothing else, but Ruger's got some intriguing stuff now. But for a sure thing - PF9.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
For a pocket carry gun, I'd only be looking for pie-plate sized accuracy at 10 FEET maximum. Anything beyond that and I'm haulin' azz!

I'm too old and tired to run.
I'm holding my ground and taking aim!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
I'll put a vote in for the Lady Smith & Wesson! It is an accurate pistol that goes BANG everytime you pull the trigger fast. You try that with a Kel-Tec PF-9 and it will JAM on you....

Not.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Would like some advice.
Am going to pick up a small 9mm pistol for pocket carry. (or small holster carry)
Have a G17 gen-3 now, am going to keep it, but would like a smaller gun for concealed carry.

Am thinking of staying with 9mm, because I would like to stay with one type of ammo, rather than have 9mm and .380 on the shelf.

I figure some of you have some practical experience with small 9mm's, and would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Old Crab � I�ve owned several small 9mm�s that would fit into somewhat large pockets. A couple I have written about on my web site www.shootersJournal.net, and a few I have had, but just never wrote about. Two that are on the web site are:

Taurus PT908: http://shootersjournal.net/taurus-709-slim-review/
Astra A70: http://shootersjournal.net/the-astra-a-70-quite-possibly-the-best-defense-pistol-for-a-woman/

So the Taurus is pretty new, and the one I had was a VERY good little gun. It�s about as light as any LW snub nosed revolver, yet carries a full 6 rounds of 9mm. Mine was accurate and reliable, and I very much liked the fact that it had an external safety on a pocket gun.
The Astra is a little large, but believe it or not, I�ve managed to get it into the front pocket of either Levi�s or Wrangler jeans (both of which have generous pockets) just fine. At 25oz, it�s a touch on the heavy side, but it�s an all steel gun with an 8 round magazine capacity. The great thing about the Astra is the quality; this really is a first rate gun. And I very much appreciate a single action gun in a world full of DA�s and DAO�s. My only complaint is the safety comes off a little too easy for pocket carry (fine for holster carry), so when it�s in my pocket, it�s carried condition 2 or 3 (condition 2 really takes a good amount of practice before I recommend anyone trying). Another really great thing about the Astra is the price; when you can find one.

Glock 26 � Although a bit blocky, this is one of the best sub-compact 9mm�s out there.
Kahr � CM9 � Now I�ve run into a couple of these that had some functioning issue; but then I�ve encountered others that worked perfectly. If you have one of the latter, you have a really great pistol. If by chance you end up with one that has issues, Kahr is good about making it right as a general rule.
Rohrbaugh R9 � These are quite pricey, but man are they nice. They�re uber-small, uber-lightweight; but uber-expensive at over a grand each. I�ve shot two of them and both shot very well and carried even better. I�ve not hear of any issues with these, but I�ve never owned one or carried one for any extended period of time.

I�m still a huge fan of snub nosed revolvers for pocket carry. If you�re considering a snubbie, I did a roundup article on snubbies from .32 H&R on up to .357 mga here: http://shootersjournal.net/snub-nose-roundup-a-look-at-today%e2%80%99s-small-frame-snub-nosed-revolvers/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Tonk
I'll put a vote in for the Lady Smith & Wesson! It is an accurate pistol that goes BANG everytime you pull the trigger fast. You try that with a Kel-Tec PF-9 and it will JAM on you....

Not.

And if by chance your Kel Tec does fail you, their customer service is some of the best in the industry.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kevin have you had a chance to preview the new Kimber 9 mm that everyone is drooling over? I think it is like a scaled down 1911.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No sir I haven't seen one yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Kahr CW-9

I have a CW40 and it is a sweet little rig and so easy to carry. One in 9mm would be fine since you want to stay with that cartridge. If you want a little smaller, go with the CM9 or PM9.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 06/16/11.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.