-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody own one of these motorcycles? I am thinking about getting one so I can tool around the mountains. Some of the places I hunt have motorcycle only paths and being able to utlilize one would cut a lot of time off of my hike everyday.

I'm also about 6'4" and 240lbs so I know I'll look like a monkey humping a football but I think that little TW would be real stable with those big tires.

Any thoughts?

Drummond

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One word...Rokon.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The TW200s are awesome little bikes. With that big fat tire on the back,they never lose traction and will climb just about anything you have the balls to.

They're one of the easiest to ride bikes you'll find. A lot of motorcycle training outfits use the TWs in their classes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ride off road motor cycles very often. I primarily ride my KX250 - one of the 2-cycle screaming machines that most don't like, second most I ride a KLR650 - off road. I purchased a TW200 for hunting and was extremely disappointed. it is too heavy, suspension is poor and the fat tires don't track well. The big tires aren't firm and tend to bounce - bouncing leads to lack of control. On the positive side the lights, electric start, and ride comfort on flat surfaces was OK.

Totally disagree with the climbing ability of the TW200 mentioned above. It doesn't climb well because the suspension doesn't keep the rear wheel on the ground. If you want to climb "anything" then climb aboard a trials bike. I'm certain my KX250 will outclimb a TW200 by a long shot.

I have never ridden a Rokon - I'll let their popularity speak for to that.

The best mountain hunting bike I've encountered is the XR200, it has real wheels and tires and sufficient suspension to keep the tires on the ground.

If you are riding snow then you'll want the old FatCat.

Last edited by Boise; 06/15/11.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had an XR400 and sold it a few years back. I regret it now but it was pretty top heavy with me on top of it. I like the idea of a lower center of gravity, especially since I carry over $3k worth of optics with me everywhere I go.

The rokons are pretty expensive and the fat cats are hard to find. This is why I was hoping the TW would meet in the middle

Thanks for the responses.

Btw, the TW I'm looking at is an 03 with 90 miles on it. If I could get it for $1800 I don't think I'd lose money on it

Drum

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I currently own a TW200. It is a simple bike. Low tech and low quality components. It doesn't handle slow and rough ground well with standard gearing. It is disappointing in handling and ability to transverse rough ground. The model has existed in almost the same form for some 2 decades. It is what it is. If you want more than it can do you'll be disappointed.

I ride mine more on the roads for local transportation and gravel log road kind of riding. I don't need it to go fast but wish is was better at going slow when the going is more difficult.

The miles/price figure you quote is great.

Marv

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
i have a rokon-fer sale

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
i have a rokon-fer sale

Where is it and how much?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
i have a rokon-fer sale

If you can find an ATC or CT 110 in decent shape & do a decent conversion, it'll breath new life into that Rokon...the factory versions suck (IMO).
Huntsonora...if you live down around Sonora, the previous owner & founder of Rokon (Orla Larson) lives down in that area & I'm sure he'd be more than happy to have you visit & let you try your hand at riding them...he hangs out here http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=rokon&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Frokon%2Fmessages
& goes by the user name rokonorla...he also makes some pretty good vino.

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 06/15/11.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a 2002 model. If your plan is to stay on established "fire roads" or relatively flat/dry trails, then the TW might suit you well. It is nice to be able to plant your feet on the ground. You can also take it out on the street or drive around the campsite, too. My main gripe about the TW200 is the fact that the "newer" ones don't have a kick start. The battery is a real mickey mouse affair, and if it goes dead on you out in the woods, you have no auxiliary start. The "older" ones were better in this regard. If you go to one of the TW forums, you can find a parts list to add a kick start for $300-$400.

The Rokon, though it looks similar, is really a different beast (I have a 2005 model Scout). The suspension is almost non-existent. It's really made for terrain that is too rough for a 4-wheeler. You can take it through a forest where the trees/brush are too close together for a 4-wheeler. If a hill is too steep, you just jump off and "walk" it up the grade in first gear at 2-3mph. The top speed on the Rokon is only about 25-30mph, and it will beat you to death if you spend much time over 10-15mph. The Rokons have gotten completely ridiculous on their prices.

TW200- Very established trails/roads
Rokon- Where there are NO established trails/roads

For $1800, you should get the TW. I think they're close to $4000, new. You shouldn't have any trouble getting $1500-$2000 for it if you don't like it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
i have a rokon-fer sale

If you can find an ATC or CT 110 in decent shape & do a decent conversion, it'll breath new life into that Rokon...the factory versions suck (IMO).
Huntsonora...if you live down around Sonora, the previous owner & founder of Rokon (Orla Larson) lives down in that area & I'm sure he'd be more than happy to have you visit & let you try your hand at riding them...he hangs out here http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=rokon&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2Frokon%2Fmessages
& goes by the user name rokonorla...he also makes some pretty good vino.

You can also consider one of the chinese honda clone 110 engines for ~$400. I know, you'd think it would be utter crap, but I couldn't pass up a used 50cc chinese atv for my boys, even though the guy selling it said it had electrical problems. Turned out both the electric starter motor and solenoid were burned out. It took mucho google fu to come accross a schematic. I was going to replace it, but once we figured out you could bump start it in 4th gear, I completely forgot about replacing it. Consdiring the abuse the 3 of us have put it through, including riding it in packed snow at -20, I can say they are tough little engines. Just make sure it has a kick starter.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had 2 TWs,both 02s, sold both, just wouldn't go down the road as good as my XL250 and wouldn't think about climbing like a Big Wheel. The lack of a kickstarter was another gripe.

Also had 2 Fatcats, they are a big improvement over the TW, sold them also for 2 Big Wheels.

For what you'd pay for a TW you could have a Big wheel 350, closest thing to a Rokon climbing capability, but a lot easier to ride.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

You can also consider one of the chinese honda clone 110 engines for ~$400.

I've actually got a Chinese clone in one of my two Rokons. It's a OGM 140cc. It's been sitting since last deer season because I'm also working on a Rokon with a ATC 110 that has the high/low selector & I'm building an 8 wheel argo type amphib... grin I DO keep busy.

The Chinese motor probably only has 100 miles on it but so far its been bulletproof & the miles put on it haven't been easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 6 4 and 240 you're big enough to sit a full size dirt bike. Instead of paying $1800 for the TW pick yourself up any of the more modern 4 stroke dirt bikes. Seems Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM, or Suzuki all have a model well suited to riding for hunting. There are lots of excellent used bikes out there but right now is the peak of the buying seaon.

If you're not at all comfortable riding an off road bike then I would bet you could sit a CRF150F and arrive the same place as all the others.

You should decide whether or not you want to ride at night. A headlight is only available on some models. A determined individual can ride some awfully rough stuff in the near dark. Powerful headlamps can also get the job done. Adding a lighting kit is expensive get one with lights.

Your bike will handle more safely with all the gear strapped to you - backpack/sling/etc.

I've gone on numerous backcountry by bike. It takes me two trips to get a base camp and hunting gear in. Never once have I seen gear tied to the bike consistently work.

Falling over is never an option.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
i have a rokon-fer sale

Where is it and how much?

Yeah, I want to know as well. I miss mine. Only sold it because I really needed the money.

As per Boise's coments, they are quite wonderful off road motorcycles.

I test drove a couple of TW200's and liked them, I only have a KLR650 now because I got a smokin deal on it and is all I can afford. Fun enough for now. When I am better off financially I will get a Harley and another Rokon instead of a niether fish nor fowl all arounder that does niether technical off road or long distance and cruising particularly well.

I could see myslef on a TW200 for around town and some trail riding, The KLR, when it starts to tip, is a heavy sonofagun. Hurts when it falls on top of you, too.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, I am 6'3" and 245lbs. CAN ride the full size KLR and similar, just prefer smaller, lighter, lower, slower in bottom gears etc. If you like the idea of the TW, get one and try it out. Might like it just fine, only have to please yourself.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
BTW, I am 6'3" and 245lbs. CAN ride the full size KLR and similar, just prefer smaller, lighter, lower, slower in bottom gears etc. If you like the idea of the TW, get one and try it out. Might like it just fine, only have to please yourself.

True! I went and looked at it today, its basically a brand new bike even though its a 2003. It now has 95 miles on it, there isnt a scratch on it and the tires have those little spikes on them still. I'll sleep on it, I doubt I'll ever lose money on it for that price.

Thanks for all of the comments guys

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer the XT, basically the normal tired model. If you want to go anywhere anyplace but don't care about speed. Very hard to beat the old Honda Trail 90/110. If it has oil and gas most even when flogged will run forever. I have two.. Most fun bikes I have ever owned, and I used to race motocrosss and endro. In low gear even with the skinny tires they will climb a tree. Gas milage is measured in weeks per tank.. With the rear rack they will carry more than you have any idea.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,235 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.