Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted in RSA a couple of times for plains game, and I can honestly say my favorite animal to hunt is warthog...

I'm not interested in "driven" warthog as they do in some places, but stalking on foot..

Would it be crazy to spend a week hunting a single species?

I'd prefer hunting in thick bushveld type country rather than on wide open plains so to speak, and hopefully somewhere relatively "wild"...

I suspect the Limpopo area of RSA fits the bill in many respects, especially if I could find a truely wild feeling concession

If I did do this, It would have to be next year at the eariest...

Any recommendations of where to go or who to hunt with?

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 06/15/11.
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
www.africanbarefootsafaris.co.za, Reon von Tonder Limpopo

They are great people with a very laid back operation. Haven't hunted Africa a couple times for a lot of nice trophies, one of my most difficult was a 'good' warty. It was the last day of a 10 day hunt when we finally found him so a week just for the trophy would not necessarily be crazy, but I promise you will have opportunity for additional trophies in your pursuit.

JJ Hack who is a moderator on this forum also hunts the Limpopo area and I am sure would design you a hunt however you want it.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gristle Head
www.africanbarefootsafaris.co.za, Reon von Tonder Limpopo

They are great people with a very laid back operation. Haven't hunted Africa a couple times for a lot of nice trophies, one of my most difficult was a 'good' warty. It was the last day of a 10 day hunt when we finally found him so a week just for the trophy would not necessarily be crazy, but I promise you will have opportunity for additional trophies in your pursuit.

JJ Hack who is a moderator on this forum also hunts the Limpopo area and I am sure would design you a hunt however you want it.

Thanks for that..Just to be clear, I meant hunting one species, not just looking for a single trphey in the week.

I'm not sure how many good or better warthogs you might reasonably expect to take in a week or 10 days?

With regards JJ, I have hunt with him and had a great time..

I also know Jim is a "warthog fanatic", so I figure this thread will be like a carcass in a bait tree waiting for Mr Spots to turn up! grin

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
warthog with a .45ACP, that used to be fun.
I was going to put "in the good old days" but suddenly felt old!

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pete, I am with you. I could go to Africa and hunt warthog exclusively.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm at a different point in life. I haven't been there, so I couldn't just hunt one species. When I go, I want a kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeast, impala, springbok. If budget/time allow, wouldn't turn down a red hartebeast, eland, nyala, bushbuck, warthog, etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally, someone who wants to hunt only warthog !

My avatar and I.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pete, I'm with you. I truly loved hunting warties. Matter of fact, next month, when I'm in Zim, the only thing I might hunt besides DG would be a wartie[or a bushpig]grin

maddog

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Pieter. Good to see you here. That hog looks familar. Lloyd

The foundation for old age is good memories.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pete, here are some pics of the warties we took in July 2008, in the limpopo. We hunted with:

www.cruisersafaris.com/

They hunt 7-8 properties, that total around 150,000 acres or so. Good hunt with good people, at reasonable prices. The area is mostly all high fence, but some of the properties are huge.

The pics:

[Linked Image]

my buddy's wartie. He was a toad!

[Linked Image]

my son's warthog.

[Linked Image]

my buddy's son with his hog.

[Linked Image]

me, with my wartie.

here are some misc. warthog pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Africa%202008/IMG_0649.jpg[/img]

maddog

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Talk to JJHACK.

He has a serious penchant for blasting 'hogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete, PM sent.

I can cull warthogs in Sept/ Oct

20 warthog/impala 9 days all inclusive in RSA. 4500 bucks, add the other game you like for trophy fee only.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this the young man who shot that hog (on my avatar) off-hand at about 756 yards while it was running and leaping?! Lloyd, how are you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter "about 756" yards?

you mean your guessing it was between 755.5 and 756.5? Remember the guy that hunted with us in the free state? He was shooting at everything no matter the distance then when he missed He would say " I quit" I cannot hit anything. A couple hours would go by and he wanted to hunt again. ............ Humans, who can figure them out?

His Red Hartebeest was the first and only wounded red hartebeest that ever charged me! I'll never forget the blesbok, when he hit it, and it dropped you and I looked at each other with mouths open in stunned amazement!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Talk to JJHACK.

He has a serious penchant for blasting 'hogs.

He can call them by rattling a set of tusks too, can't you Jim?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well now Jim, without splitting hairs and to be almost precise and within 0.5", it's just like you said. And besides, there was no guessing involved because I said so!

The avatar is from another hunt, but I do remember the red hartebeest and the blesbok as if it happened yesterday. The blesbok, well I still tell that story by the fire.

JJ, you must be old by now?? It's been a long time.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maddog,

thanks for those..

I wanted to say the look "nice" but warties are not exactly blessed with "nice" looks... grin

But it looks like you guys had a great time and had some excellent results...

Regards,

Peter

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Pieter. That warty is the most memorial of all the animals we took, on both trips. Thanks again. If I get everything together, we'll do it again soon. BTW, it was only 752 yards. Josh and Mary said hi.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hello Jim, Pete, and other wartie shooters. We just got our euromounted warthogs back this week and they are great. These are the ones from the warthog trifecta the day before the great live capture of the cerval cat. Can't wait to go back.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WoodsStalker, I stand corrected on the distance! A beauty indeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.