Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been hunting ol' Mr. Whitetail for almost 60 years now... and shot about all the deer I ever wanna shoot, so I go to deer camp more for the camaraderie and to get out in the woods than for the venison.

Since I've gotten old and turned into a "lazy hunter"... I'd like to use the deer's fine survival senses to set up my sons and Grandsons to get their venison and antlers. I've been pondering a plan to put into action... an idea I've had for quite a while now.

But let me set the "scenario" for ya... and then, I'd like you truly "experienced" fellas to give me your best thinking on this "plan".

Since I really don't care whether I shoot any more deer, I was thinking that if I go "on-stand" UP-WIND of a well-used deer trail and move around a bit, due to my arthritis, while leaning back against the base of a tree because I get too stiff if I don't move around a bit... and I like to smoke my pipe now and then... the wily ol' bucks are gonna either see the movement or smell the pipe smoke and circle down-wind around me in order to get to the place they were going. And that's ok... 'cause that's EXACTLY what I want 'em to do... circle down-wind around me, then come back up on the trail and try to keep on goin' to where they were originally goin' !

So I figure if I put my sons... and/or my Grandsons further down on that deer trail, those wily ol' bucks will be keeping their attention mostly on me and circle right up into the boys 'cause the younger boys CAN sit still, use all that "no-odor" stuff or "scent-killer" stuff... and none of the sons or Grandsons smoke.

And so... by using the deer's own senses and their pile of "dirty tricks", I can "guide" those big-antlered bucks right square into becoming the winter's venison roasts, steaks & "jerky"!

BUTTTTTTTTTT... how far downwind and around do those buck "circle" me before coming back up on that well-used deer trail to get where they were originally headed??? Maybe 100 yards? Maybe 200 yards?? Maybe 300 yards???

In other words, how far should I tell my boys to set up on a stand further along on the well-used deer trail so when the deer spot or smell me, I can get 'em to circle around and right into my son's and Grandson's waiting rifles?!?

If any of you truly experienced hunters have some idea of how far most bucks circle a potential danger, I'd surely like to hear 'em... and I appreciate your comments, but please don't just "guess"... if ya know, say so. If ya don't know, then don't offer a "guess"... 'cause I can "guess", but I'd really prefer getting some actual KNOWLEDGE about this.

I'll "Thank Y'all" ahead of time and sincerely appreciate your answers. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One at 40.3yards and the other at 147.68yards. If the winds shifts at all during the day, and will they be above or below you, you may have to go back and adjust their positions. Plan on moving more than you like.

I have no experience with Ohio Deer, so perhaps I shouldn't have replied.

Last edited by battue; 06/17/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin Well, being an experienced hunter if not an expert I will absolutely tell you that it might work.

I have come to the conclusion after all these years that a durn deer knows more about what it has on its mind than I ever will.

IOW he going to do what he going to do and there ain't a lot I can do about it. laugh

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Interestingly enough, I've employed a similar tactic in the past. Had a climber in a spot that the old buck kept blowing me out of on a regular basis. On the advise of an older hunter, I hung some sweaty t-shirts and socks in that location and moved my stand about 75 yards down wind and got that old boy the very next time the wind was right. I've used the tactic more than once since then and it produces the desired result more often than not. Of course - it can depend upon your visibility, alternate trails leading to the new spot, etc but it's a good tactic to try more than once.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Glad to know some wise ol' hunters have thought and/or used the
SAME idea... and I'm starting to get a "feel" for how far down the trail to "spot" my boys...

Keep those experiences comin'... smile

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can see it working, but I wouldn't bet much on it consistently doing so.

Wind shifts, other hunters moving into the area, different trails, other Deer interacting with the chosen ones, and Deer just being Deer, they just may go investigate Dad or Grandad instead. Deer and people in Ohio interact on a daily basis. The scent of humans doesn't necessarily send them back where they came from.

Much better to spend ones times teaching the kids how to hunt than trying to scent push Deer to them.

Last edited by battue; 06/17/11.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The sons know all the "dirty tricks"... and the Grandsons are learnin' 'em... I just wanna be "useful" and play a "dirty trick" on the deer in return for all the dirty tricks they've played on me.

That's the whole reason for this inquiry... smile

This idea is for hunting in S.E. Ohio where we use muzzle-loading rifles and the terrain is more like W. Virginia or Kentucky (few people, hilly and rough) or hunting outta my bestest hunting buddy's cozy deer camp up among the mountain laurel on the High Plateau in the Moshannon State Forest in N. Central Pennsylvania where we use center-fire rifles. Not a lot of people (other than hunters on Opening Day) in those parts the majority of the year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Enjoy your time with the kids.

Here is a little trick I have found "seems" to work sometimes.

A small fire is often a curiosity to Deer. I've seen them follow a smoke trial right up to the source. Keep the little ones warm on a cold day and say to hell with the wind.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes... it's more important than the boys realize (but I do) to spend some "woods time" together...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... never thought of that "fire-smoke" idea... thanks... and the "little ones" are BIGGER than me, but it's not a bad idea! smile

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It all depends on the lay of the land cover escape routes draws and so on. I am the old man in my group and I use this tactic and it works not all of the time but it works.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nothing is fool proof but it does work. Another one I've used is to go into a stand with a friend and than have the friend walk out. Thankfully the deer have not learned to count. I've gotten a couple of old does that kept busting me that way.

Or if you feed deer, than get a routine. Same time and same route, never hunting on the same day you feed. When your ready, follow your routine and leave. Than sneak around a downwind route and get in the stand. The deer will think you left and not be as worried about your scent. The sneak route has to be a good one though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Keeping in mind you might be UPwind of the deer, but you'll be DOWNrange of the youngsters................ Make danged sure they know where you are, to avoid mishaps.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Give it hell Gramdpa good luck to the boys .Have fun

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never tried this on white tails, but it worked well on our western blacktail in dark timber. The lead of three hunters would slowly walk a logging road into the wind with the two partners spaced about 200 and 400 yds behind. The leader seldom saw much while the trailers picked up crossing deer in short order.

Similarly, on whitetail drives in WVa as a kid, the savy silver headed hunters would follow the drivers of organized hunts. They typically picked up the larger sly bucks working their way through the crowd by using the drainages. At days end we would often sit and watch an edge that a crowd had just put a drive through. I was always amazed at the number of deer that emerge from a patch we had just worked.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've been circled by as much as 100 yards.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Easy.Just Give Your Stand.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ron_T - if you put your plan into action you'll probably end up shooting the biggest deer of your life... The father of a buddy of mine shot his biggest while smoking a cigarette and running a chainsaw. He had his rifle along just in case he saw something on the way in or out, and the buck just walked up to see what was going on when he was cutting wood.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure if I understand it... If solid scouting reveals a deer trail where deer routinely travel and are usually expected to be on/near that trail - why would you need to be upwind spreading scent and/or noise around? Aren't the deer going to be on the trail your scouting found anyway? For trail watching I don't think I understand the strategy. The least disturbance is the best IMHO. For drives and to slowly push deer out of thick cover and the like then sure it makes sense to me. But I ain't no expert or nuttin' like that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt in an area of big woods.
In my expirence,if you spook them,they are likely gone in a different direction entirely,than circling and continuing on the same trail.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have spooked them and had them try to circle around me and again I have spooked them and never saw them again. ever. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,075
Posts18,463,807
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.