Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jack O'Connor managed just fine with 2 1/2 to 4 power scopes, and he nailed some stuff at some pretty fair distances. In one of his stories (don't ask which one), Eleanor shot a jack rabbit at over 400yds with a 4x scoped .257 Roberts, because she didn't know it couldn't be done. 2.5-8x wil be fine, although the 6x Leupold is a good choice, too.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7-08 fwt. carries a VXII LR 2-7 in Talley Lightweights. That's plenty

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ShizerJack - Scope choice is a very INDIVIDUAL thing. Part of that is one's eyesight. Only you know your vision and how much help you need or want.

I only wear reading glasses, however I choose more magnification in my rifle scopes. MIN - Lup 2.5-8 or 3-9 and PREFER 4-12.

The reason I prefer 4-12 is at any longer range, more mag lets me see the animal better and be more precise in AIMING. If you'd like to test yourself, use 1 gallon jug at 300 & 400 yds, aim with a 4X or 6X scope THEN try it with 8X,9X, or 12X.

Let the SCOPE & your EYES make the decision. You only need to please yourself.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Another thing to consider in choosing a scope is how much tube is available between the objective bell and the turret and between the ocular bell/power adjustment ring and the turret. This will affect how much fore and aft adjustability you have in mounting the scope for proper eye relief for you. That WSM is a short action so the 2.5x8 is a very proportional size but the 3x9 and 3.5x10 scopes are longer and give you more flexibility in mounting. Also some mounting systems put the rings further foreward or further back than others. The Leupold website lists the exact dimensions of their scopes under "specs".

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the Swaro Z3 3-9x36

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is one nice looking Featherweight you have. I'd love to have a Featherweight Deluxe, but I can't get past the floorplate.

I have a Leupold FXII 6x36 on my Featherweight 270 Win; for me it's a perfect fit.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
OP Offline
I don't mind the floor plate vs detectable mag. My biggest gripe is the three position safety. I'm used to tang safeties, the three position seems a little loud and cumbersome but I will learn to operate it with lots of shooting. Again though everything feels so well made I am very pleased. I will let you all know what I mount on it and how it shoots. Thanks for all the input.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You got one of the nicer stocks ,that I have seen in a while.Usually one side is nice and the other so so.I have had 3 270 WSM`s and all have been shooters.I think talleys and a Minox 3X9 would keep the weight down without breaking the bank.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would probably get the Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3 and set it in Leupold dual dovetail rings & bases.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have the very same gun also in .270 WSM. You are going to love that gun! I put a 4.5x14 Leupold VX III on it. It has the B&C recticle on it. Maybe I went with too much power based on the previous responses but I sure like the set up. I can't wait to hunt with it. Good luck with yours!

IC B3

OP Offline
I'm excited to get out there and shoot it! The gun had a sister next to it in a .300 WSM but the wood was very bland compared to the .270 WSM. I'm glad because I preferred the .270 but would have went for the best looking gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Nice rifle! I would suggest a 2.5-8x36 VX 3 as it mounts lower. Skip the BDC reticle as it only works at the highest power in a SFP scope. S&K mounts/rings although not well known are top quality, strong, handsome and have windage adustment in both bases. S&K controls height with the base not the rings. The Leupold I suggested will use low bases.

http://www.scopemounts.com/

I'll 2nd the scope choice here, its what I have on mine, and many others in the past. I WILL have to suggest looking into TALLEY LIGHTWEIGHT base/rings..or DNZs, which is what I'm currently using and really like. Although I DID cut the "bridge" between the 2 rings and refinish them myself..they work great. NICE looking 70 you have there...I know you will enjoy it !

Last edited by deg967; 06/20/11.
OP Offline
What do you all think about Burris 3x-9x40mm Fullfield II Ballistic Plex E1 with Burris Zee rings? I can get this set up for under $200.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShizerJack
I'm excited to get out there and shoot it! The gun had a sister next to it in a .300 WSM but the wood was very bland compared to the .270 WSM. I'm glad because I preferred the .270 but would have went for the best looking gun.

After all, the better it looks the better it will shoot right grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are no flies on Burris scopes. I have a 2-7 that's great.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
OP Offline
Both .300 WSM and .270 WSM have great ballistics. But I plan on passing this gun on to my son so I was concerned with the aesthetics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootinurse

ditto..I have a 2-7 Shotgun/Muzzleloader model with Ballistic plex on an Encore Muzzleloader, BOTH work well together !..I've also had it on a .243 with same results....
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deg967

ditto..I have a 2-7 Shotgun/Muzzleloader model with Ballistic plex on an Encore Muzzleloader, BOTH work well together !..I've also had it on a .243 with same results....
[Linked Image]

Your new nickmame is woody, because that's what your sig line gives me grin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1 on the heavyweight "brains" AND the lightweight talleys.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by deg967

[Linked Image]

Your new nickmame is woody, because that's what your sig line gives me grin whistle

Bet you didn't notice she's a smart girl who can accessorize as well...i just noticed her fingernails are the same color as her cup laugh laugh laugh...not that any of that matters..unless they're racking your back..O hell, not even then

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.