Originally Posted by MacLorry
Of course, what the most useful velocity range is, is subjective. I can accept that it's not the best BC value to publish without knowing more about how a given bullet will be used. It might be better for loaded ammo where the MV is known.

*emphasis added

I think we understand each other's positions here for the most part. I think you would agree that the difference between our methods is very small (you've identified a ~2% difference). I also think we agree that no matter what method is used to define BC, if the shooter employs the bullet in a different velocity range than what the BC was assigned for (which will be the case more often than not) using either method, error will be incurred which results from the bullet flying in a different velocity band. At that point, the 2% difference between methods becomes less critical.

I'm currently working on developing a ballistics program for mobile devices (deployable on android, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry) which will have the option of using standard G1 or G7 referenced BC's, as well as the option to use the custom drag curve of a particular bullet. This capability will end all the discussion about the best way to define and use BC's because none of the methodology 'judgment calls' will apply. The curve will be a valid representation of the specific bullet's drag at all speeds, and no methods of averaging form factors or BC's will be necessary.

I won't have much more time to devote to this thread after this evening; it's back to work for me tomorrow. I hope my involvement has helped to explain why I do things the way I do.

Thank you for keeping the discussion civil.

-Bryan

Last edited by BryanLitz; 06/26/11.