Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ok...laid up on pain killers, with too much time on my hands. Planning on getting a new Wrangler in next couple of months. Any suggestions for securing a truck rifle in the vehicle? Even after all these years I get catalogs from Galls, and have seen various rifle locks in them. Ideas anyone? Probably be a Mini 30 or a Marlin Leveraction of some type. Maybe behind back seat or lying long ways along side by drivers seat.
Chime in if the meds have me suggesting bad ideas.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
best idea I have seen yet, is a bolted down Pelican case, and then take the rifle inside the house at night.
No visible box, lock or other plan is really secure. If folks can see valuables, and with a Wrangler, most everything is hanging out to view, folks can, and will, rob you.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/23/11.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd check out the police equipment supply places. There oughtta be something out there you could make fit.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Take a look at these; Truck Vault
It is what's used by a lot of LE Agencies to secure weapons and armor.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or bungee cord it to the roll bar and buy a mean dog to ride with you.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the idea that Mannlicher has.

Remove the foam insulation, bolt it down, replace foam insulation. Not only would that keep the rifle from sliding all over the place, but it would also keep the case in one secure location.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic
Ok...laid up on pain killers, with too much time on my hands. Planning on getting a new Wrangler in next couple of months. Any suggestions for securing a truck rifle in the vehicle? Even after all these years I get catalogs from Galls, and have seen various rifle locks in them. Ideas anyone? Probably be a Mini 30 or a Marlin Leveraction of some type. Maybe behind back seat or lying long ways along side by drivers seat.

How "secure" does it need to be? Are you looking for something that is semi permanent ie a steel cabinet of some sort, or just a way to secure a rifle perhaps while you grap fuel or breakfast while driving to the range?

I loop a 3/8" plastic covered steel security cable around the seat mounts ect so that it leaves me one of the loops free...Thats my anchor point and stays in the vehicle..

I then use another similar cable to secure the rifle while its in its soft case as below..The free ends of the two cables can either be threaded through each other or locked together with a second padlock..

[Linked Image]

Rather than a long shackled padlock and seperate cable, I now use a cable lock similar to the Master Python below and thread the plastic covered cable through the action..

[Linked Image]

As the plastic covered cable is the only thing in contact with rifle within the softcase, I feel there is less chance of the rifle being marked ect than with the previous set up..I also think its more secure..

That said, it is not a permanent secureity solution, but designed to defeat "smash and grab" or opportunist type theft...

Last edited by Pete E; 06/23/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Vehicle-Gun-Holders%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104195880/G-Lox-Jeep-Two-Rifle-Center-Mount-Rack/734164.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-gun-storage-auto-gun-storage%2F_%2FN-1100215&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104195880

then design somekind of locking system as Pete has above.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
my old lady is usually enough to scare 'em off

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many pages under google, but those pills are not kind.

http://www.best-jeep-guide.com/jeep-gun-rack.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I thought "truck" guns were ones you just threw on the floor in back.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been working on this same problem. What I have been against is the accessibility of the rifle with out having to dismount and open the rear of the Jeep. A shelf placed over the sun visor is out of sight, still difficult to secure and fairly short, but it holds the most promise to me. I might be trying it with one of the cable locks.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about one of these:

[Linked Image]

Bolt the bracket to the floor and padloock the top cover if you leave jeep. I have one of these and I can lock the rear cover if I go to town for groceries. If the base is well secured and the top cover is padlocked it'll make the theif have to work steal your truck gun.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Flfiremedic

" 'Securing' a TRUCK rifle in a JEEP Wrangler? "

Does this or will this Wrangler have a solid roof / ceiling? Or will it be convertable?

If the wrangler has a static non-removable top, what about suspending it above the cabin space? Either perpendicular to the front-rear axis, or even parallel with the front-rear axis? Isn't there unused space above the cab something flat and long could be stored / carried (when not in use)? IN or not-IN a long flat [gun] case?

Ive thought about this very thing when trying to figure a way to transport cased firearms without cluttering the vehicle or being too conspicuous. (I don't at the moment of have a JEEP Cherokee, but have thought about finding one to refurbish/rebuild).

Also when "casing" a vehicle to rob, how many crooks when looking in windows stoop down to up at the ceiling?

As for "securing" something, that term could mean locking up something so it can't be seen or removed/stolen, or simply making something immobile when driving the vehicle (so it doesn't slide or move around).

I would need to know more details about this project!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How about a job box on a hitch hauler? Just make sure that it is long enough for your rifle and that the hitch hauler and box can't be taken off the Jeep. You should have room for plenty of guns, ammo and shooting gear.

Job Boxes

You might want to consider getting a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Much better reliability than a Jeep and still very capable for off-road.

Last edited by ConradCA; 06/23/11.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would build a metal (1/8) sheet steel box the same size as his current gun case that works. Then drill into the steel floor and attach to the frame. Place a good foam into the box, have a place for a good lock. Run it across and behind the drivers and passenger seats on the floor. Passengers in back can just put their feet on this nice painted box. A KJ may be big enough for this width wise.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.