Print Thread
Hop To
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hey fellas do you prefer a ballhead or panhead when employing a set of your favorite Big Eyes?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Hadn't owned/used a set of BEs before so trying to get some ideas. I've got the legs figured out (finally).

I'm all ears wink

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like a ball head that has separate controls for rotation of the base and adjustments to the ball itself. What I'll often do is leave the rotation control free and use the ball adjustment to lock the platform in place when I want the rig to be steady.

Pan heads are nice, but I would avoid those with long handles. Even better are fluid heads designed for use with videocameras, although they can get spendy. I had some time with a Sachtler fluid head when I was running big Nikon telephotos back in college and it was really sweet. Very smooth and very positive controls.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I run both, the ball is lighter and more compact for packing, the pan is more solid and easy to move. Both work well for the application.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have owned both. Used both quite extensively. I prefer panheads. Better for slight adjustments/movement when glassing. You can also use the bridge of your nose to move laterally the panhead (when it is cold and you want to keep your hands in your pockets). Panheads are much much better for spotting scopes if you end up using the tripod with a scope. Again for slight adjustments when glassing. My buddy had both when using his 15X56's too - he also went with the panhead. I thought the ball head I used was also heavier if weight is an issue.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Three way pan heads here. I've used both also. to me it was tuff setting the tension on the ball head to use it like I wanted. It was either to tight and i would have to loosen it to move slightly or too loose and it would fall. Neither are acceptable when trying to grid. One thing I see alot of guys doing, is using the pan heads with the vertical adjustment handle towards their face, and they get frustrated with it gettin in the way.....TURN IT AROUND, easy fix! LOL

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks fellas....

Okay, for the guys liking the ball head, are there particular features you like on the ones that you are using?

Same for the panhead guys....

Haven't gotten a chance to head down to the proshop to take a looksy tho....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim White Head or Velbon PH-157Q

Don't think I need to say more than that.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by WDEA
Thanks fellas....

Okay, for the guys liking the ball head, are there particular features you like on the ones that you are using?

Same for the panhead guys....

Haven't gotten a chance to head down to the proshop to take a looksy tho....

I like Arca/Swiss and Really Right Stuff ball heads. Expensive, but I bought mine back when I had $3,000 worth of Nikon lens and camera hanging off of them. If you don't want to spend alot stick with pan heads, as cheap ball heads won't give you enough tension control and stability to be worthwhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a giottos that is silly light and works well enough when hauling it up a mountain. I like the pan head more, but when space and weight matter....I go ball.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well fellas, went down to a local pro-foto shop for a quick T&A.

Just some observations:

Ball heads are definitely more compact as high_country mentioned. A draw back for me is the dual levers needed to adjust the ball friction and position (at least with the Manfrotto heads I tried).
As with the two levers, a bit on the small side too and wearing gloves makes it a big clumsy.

For panheads, a bit less pack-friendly due to the longer lever(s). That being said, when used in the reverse position (lever away from you)it isn't too cumbersome as I would have thought.

Gonna prolly buy one of each, for 40-50 bucks each it's going to be a good experiment to run.

Thanks again!

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a small Manfrotto ball and the 701 HDV. I much prefer the 701 but it is heavier and I take it when I am guiding and know I will need the spotter and or Claw.

The bigger 501 plates are so much better than anything else that I don't know why I bother with the small ones anymore!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flagstaff
You can also use the bridge of your nose to move laterally the panhead (when it is cold and you want to keep your hands in your pockets).

LOL. I thought I was the only person who does this!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.