Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BikerRN
Howdy all,

Wife is wanting to get some form of watercraft and our financial situation being what it is we settled for a canoe. We will be camping at local lakes and I'll do some fishing by myself while she does whatever it is she does. She wants to paddle around on the water a little and just have some fun. We will also do some class 1 and 1+ stuff nearby on a local river.

Niether of us has canoe expirience, but that will change shortly. I've been looking at two different canoes and need help making up my mind. Do I get the Mad River Adventure 14 or the Old Town Guide 147? Please tell me why you selected what you choose. Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

My wife and I bought our Mad River Explorer 16' Royalex canoe about 15 years ago, to do exactly what you and your wife plan to do.
We put it on several lakes, both small and large, as well as the Colorado, Green, Blue, North and South Platte, and Arkansas Rivers in Colorado and Wyoming.

It proved to be a safe, maneuverable, fun boat to own and enjoy.

A few months ago, I gave it to my son and his wife, to begin their 'canoe journey' through life, as well.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
While I recognize their utility, economy, flexibility and certain pleasing aesthetic, twice I have come to within a hair's breadth of dying on the water. Both were in canoes. In winter. Never, ever again.

KG - I would be interested in the story. Anyway...winter canoeing (and Kayaking) presents it's own issues in the north country. The key to survival is to dress for immersion. Yeah - it's another big expense if you're going on cold water, but a good dry suit (as much as ~$1k) is worth every penny. That, and some good synthetic insulating layers, along with the suitable personal flotation, will keep you safe in the coldest water that you might float a boat or your body in.

Kokatat is the recognized leader in dry-suits. If you want to paddle year-round (and thereby get the most out of your boat investment, and stay in paddling shape), it's money well-spent.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BikerRN
Originally Posted by FreeMe
When it comes to soloing in a tandem canoe, this guy knows his stuff. Set aside about 90 minutes, grab a beer, and enjoy...

http://www.nfb.ca/film/waterwalker/

Thank you.

That was very enjoyable.

Biker

You are welcome. I need to sit and watch it again myself...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
My wife and I bought our Mad River Explorer 16' Royalex canoe about 15 years ago...

Another good all-around canoe choice - and somewhat widely available on the used market. A carefully-stored 15 y/o example should still have lots of life left in it. I bet your kids will enjoy it!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not sure if it's been posted yet but a site that's helped me get a lot of info over the years is: Canoe Country Forums

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Has anyone tried an Old Town Pack canoe? I have very little canoe experience but would like something I could carry easily on some solo fishing/hunting trips.

I haven't but lots of my friends have. The Old Town Discovery 119 is essentially the same hull (slightly higher sides/gunwales) in a heavier (10#) plastic, but half the money of the Pack. My friends fish shoaling rivers, with the occasional Class II rapid, mostly Class I's, and love that little boat. Many sold their sit-on-top fishing kayaks after getting their 119's.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.