Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have been looking into getting a light weight, larger tent for at least 4, that wont break the bank. I am entertaining the GoLite Shangri-la 5, but thought I would see if anybody here has any good/bad comments.

This would be used as a 3-4 man hunting tent sometimes, 4 person family tent while backpacking, etc.

Found a good deal on the shelter and nest, so I thought I would check with you pro's.

thanks,

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm biased, but here is my opinion.

They have plenty of room for 4, if used with a stove it would best be a 2 person.

The nest adds a lot of weight , but it cures peoples concerns over bugs etc. and is still pretty light at about 6 lbs for the combo.

I personally prefer a tent that the edges go to the ground (or further), with a screen integrated for ventilation, but that's just me.

Kevin

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It is a good setup, but in my opinion, not large enough for 3-4 guys plus hunting gear. A 4 person family could make it work though. For a 2 person shelter, it would rock on a hunting trip. It might be a better/more flexible option to have 2 2-3 man tents for a hunting situation. That way you only have to smell 1 hunting buddy and not 3 every night.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would agree that it's tight for 4. Great tent for 2 adults and 2 kids...but 4 adults with gear would really be pushing it IMO. I love mine though. Very versatile with the floor/net/tent modularity. I also just picked up a MLD 2 person innernet to save weight over the SL nest for when it's just me and my wife. And hoping to add a stove jack and ti stove sometime soon if funds and time allow.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok, guys, that makes sense. I appreciate the comments!

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love mine! Great shelter and quality made. I have had mine on many adventures and it has not failed or had any quality issues. Perfect for two people and your gear. 4 people would work, but your gear will have to go outside under a tarp. Prolite gear has them on sale for $280. I like staking out four corners and being setup quickly, and they do pitch tight to the ground. I made my own stove and sewed in my stove jack myself. A Kifaru setup like this, will run approx $1300 and I only have approx $400 in mine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one that I put a stove in last year and it was a pretty cool setup. Easy to carry, easy to setup, quality built, good tent.

My problem is for the kind of temps I was staying at, the tent just lost the heat too quickly. A liner probably would have helped that, but overall it just didnt work for my needs in the cold weather I was hunting in.

I could see some real good value in one for earlier in the season and the price was definetly a bonus!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Rackmaster
Did you close up the top vents somehow, or just leave them open? I heard that if they are closed, it greatly improves the heat holding capabilities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them for sure. Depending on how I use it I can just use it as a shelter and no floor and sleep in a TI Goat bivy. Then my shelter is just the body itself 31 oz (listed at 29 but I have tied 2 oz of guy out line so I can guyout all points to make it really secure in the wind) and somewhere around 20 stakes (MSR ground hogs at .7 oz per stake) comes to just 2.8 pounds for 90 sq ft of space as I use black diamond trekking poles I have along anyways as my center pole saving me 13 oz.

Worked on the sheep hunt last year and some other walkabouts. Fully plan on using it on atleast 2 sheep hunts this year as well as 2 caribou hunts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwortman
Rackmaster
Did you close up the top vents somehow, or just leave them open? I heard that if they are closed, it greatly improves the heat holding capabilities.

I closed them up in a make-shift sorta way and it helped big time.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Luv mine so far,I just had Bearpawd wilderness do some mods..I don't even have it back yet but can't wait to try the new vestibule..[Linked Image]

I'm afraid that when I die,my wife will sell everything I own for what I told her I paid for it...
Joe, This tent works well for a two person hunt with their gear, but I really like this tent hunting solo. With a stove, this tent is pretty comfortable on a multiday hunt. At 6'2" I can stand up to change with it pitched all the way to the ground.

Attached Images
Image00002.jpg (96.33 KB, 1283 downloads)

Aaron
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Wow, thanks for the pictures and comments guys. Great bunch here, helping a brother out.

I saw it somewhere for $269 I believe, and the nest was in the $129 range.

I appreciate it guys.

joe

www.jolinmedia.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.