Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi gang,

Was talking to my buddy that has a hardware store where I get some good deals on rifles and he said someone had a Revelation R210A 30-06(same as the Mossberg 810AH) that they brought in to sell.

Does anyone know anything about this make of rifle?
How accurate are they?
How reliable?
Are parts easy to get?
Are they/will they be easy to rechamber if wanted/needed?
Pros/Cons?

I know the new Mossbergs the ATR's I think are not safe. I also know the Mossberg 1500 is the same as the Howa 1500. I have also heard the older Mossberg's were better than the new ones.
This one is priced a little high, but I think I can get it at a lower price.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that the Mossberg 800 or 810 series of CF rifles were very good. Some of the 800s had a plastic trigger housing that could become soft and distorted if left in a hot place, like a pickup rear window rack, and not work properly when they cooled. The Revelations were house-brand guns made to sell at an even lower price than the Mossberg branded guns, so they generally had lower grade wood and finish, anything to get the price down.

I think that it is hard to justify buying in an older entry level CF rifle, and almost any house-brand CF rifle, when the excellent Marlin X guns are so inexpensive and so accurate.

Since the Mossberg 800/810 rifles have long been out of production, parts are going to be a problem that won't get better and since is such a basic bare-bones rifle, it wouldn't seem cost effective to rebarrel it, given the short cuts made in the donor. The best way to gage the availability of parts is to see what GPC has, 'cause they likely have the last stock of available parts. www.gunpartscorp.com. You might also inquire at the Mossberg Collectors' site, www.mossbergowners.com, or with the Mossberg Collectors group's honcho, Vic Havlin, at his site, www.havlinsales.com.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it for under $100 and was prepared to sell it as parts if it becomes non-functional. For around $300, the Marlin X guns are, IMO, a much better package that is a lot less expensive to rebarrel via Savage 110 series specs barrels if you want to go in that direction somewhere down the road.

JEff

PS - I have a Mossberg CF house-brand rifle, an old lever action Mossberg 472/479 in 30-30 that is a Coast-To-Coast Hardward house branded "Master Mag CC779. Stained birch wood and dull, low/no polished, steel, but a functional, no maintenance, knock-about truck gun.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
From what I remember about these rifles they were fairly reliable and shot OK but if you think you are going to rebarrel modify and otherwise spend money on customizing a rifle this is not the one because you'll still have a off brand mossberg when you are through wor�h no more than it was to begin with. Leave this one for some guy that can only scratch together $175 for a deer rifle and is willing to accept it as it is.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sound like I need to pass on this rifle. Thanks!
Reason I even asked is cuase my dad had a 1500 I think that he had for a very long time and now my step brother has. It was a good shooter and reliable. Was hoping this would be the same. But I think i'll pass on it.

Thanks guys!

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1500 was the best Mossberg CF bolt gun, probably because it wasn't designed/engineered by Mossberg and the only thing "Mossberg" about them was the name rollstamped by Howa.

JEff

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well it looks like you got alot of info from people that have never owned one of these Rifles ! I can tell , because of the bashing . I have a WesternField M732 ( which is the same rifle , sold by Wedtern Auto Stores ) in 7mm Rem. Mag. . I also had a Mossberg 810 AHSM in 30-06 ! Both of mine were/are very accurate after Glass Bedding them . They have an adjustable Trigger that is very easy to adjust ( 2 screws involved ) and are as crisp as most after market triggers ! I use the 7mm for long range Coyote shooting , and have tipped them over in excess of 400 Yds. with it with Speer 130 Gr. BTSP and a case full of 4350 ! I think I paid around $150.00 for it and it's probably one of the best buys I ever got ! Now those new cheapo Savages and Marlins may shoot alright , but they won't out shoot the Rifle you're looking at !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned several Mossberg 800s and have had a few 810s pass through my hands when I have bought collections to get a couple good firearms. I had the trigger assembly on an 800C, 22-250 sporter, soften and become distorted such that it was unsafe to use. At that time, mid-1990s, I was able to buy the replacement parts for GPC, fix the rifle, and send it down the road with words of warning to the new owner. I used that rifle a lot, as I lived out in the country and frequently shot coyotes and foxes on my way to and from work. I have also owned 7 or 8 of the mannlicher stocked 800Ms in 22-250, 243, and 308. The Mossberg 800s that I've shot have generally been capable of shooting good groups, but the triggers have worried me since mine melted and I figure that if it happened to me, it could happen to anybody.

IMO, there isn't any reason to owne a house-brand firearm unless it has some special meaning to the owner, or you can buy it dirt cheap, or it fills some niche that a collector is trying to check off his list or ???? The Mossberg 800/810 series haven't been made for 30+/- years, there don't appear to be many parts available, should a Mossberg 800/810 owner need them, and the Marlin X guns are so good that I sure wouldn't advise anybody to pick an old Mossberg if a new Marlin could be purchased for similar $$. Just relating what I've learned from actual experience. BTW, in over 40 years of hunting and shooting, I've never seen a Mossberg or house-brand Mossberg CF rifle in the field unless I was carrying it and have only seen them at the range when a local Mossberg collector was out shooting with his grand kids.

JEff

S
S
Well if the 1500 was made by howa i would pass. They must be about the same as the weatherby vanguard S2 sporter and i wouldn't give $.50 for onof them again. 6" groups at 100 yards just don't cut it for me. Luckily i was able to sell it and buy a savage Axis. I do have a mossberg patriot .243 that is a fine shooting rifle though. Even has a handsome wooden stock and shoots 1/2" groups.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We never owned them because from the getgo they were clearly crap. Everything that shoots well isn't necessarily a good rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.