Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
These talley type rings is where a slotted alignment bar comes in handy, I haven't had alot of experience with talley lightweights but from those pics if there is any side play in the base holes they could be aligned a little better when tightening base screws!

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Mr. Ackleyfan,

Could you please share with a novice like me what a slotted alignment bar looks like? Where can a guy get one?

Thanks,
Erich

Buy once, cry once.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I saw a picture somewhere on the net, and can't remember where, but the one I saw looked like a 1" lapping bar with 2 slots cut thru the bar, then you loosly install rings lay the bar in the rings and with the bar in place you can insert a screw driver with the appropriate tip thru the slots and tighten the rings down!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Not sure anyone sells them,I have guy that might be able to make them,will see!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the 30 or sets i have mounted always show almost the same pattern, no matter how many times i loosen and reset the bases using a stright edge along the side of bases to get them square, i lap the bottom halves to 80 percent contact always

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
No, don't bother lapping Talleys...they are perfect. whistle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two points:

1) Talley lightweights are like any other Leupold-style ring. They can benefit from lapping, and I'd be inclined to lap them just like any other.

2) When most people say "Talley" rings, they're referring to the vertical, split-ring style upon which Talley made their name on. Because of the way these rings attach to the bases, I'd argue that you gain nothing by lapping, as your scope is not cradled in a stationary fixture. Thus, you can't really judge progress or alignment like you can with a Leupold type base. I'd argue that this setup is somewhat "self aligning" -- particularly the screw-lock version.

Last edited by richardca99; 07/02/11.

Chris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I see it, but how do you know you accomplished anything? The only time that those rings are aligned is when they're fully tightened to the bases, and you can't move the lapping bar -- unless you leave the top screws loose. Is that what you did?

Chris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bart Bobbitt wrote a bunch of accuracy papers in tandem with McMillan. He wrote a pretty good paper on this topic. They found that most manufactured rings when mounted have different centers to the axis of a straight scope and therefore most will bend the scope tube to varying degrees. IIRC, they determined this bending of the scope tube generally caused an error of around 1/4-MOA that would bind the internal mechanics so that the scope would no longer maintain tracking and would no longer be repeatable for accuracy . In some cases, the scope tubes bent even farther. The paper went on to say that correct lapping would center the rings on the scope axis which prevented any bending of the tube.

Flip side, I believe he offered an opinion along the lines that the "AVERAGE" user with a bent scope wouldn�t have the ability to notice loss of tracking, a loss of repeatability, or a loss of accuracy. I kinda agree with that, but it can go both ways. Some appear quite happy to slap pieces together straight out of the box to go kill game animals by the truck load with fairly inaccurate rifles. Others appear quite happy to build anal benchrest precision rifles to go kill the same truck load of game animals with crazy accuracy. Between those two ends, I�m sure there is plenty of room for the rest of us.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Very informative info guy's!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems I read something somewhere about lapping the ltwt Talley's with a different lapping compund due to the aluminum construction, "grit" getting trapped in the aluminum and scratching the scope, etc.

Anyone that understands this stuff better'n me have any thoughts/recommendations on lapping compound for aluminum rings?

Thanks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All this reminded me that I had a set to mount. So I mounted 'em up and got out my lapping bar & compound. When I set the lapping bar in the rings, it does not touch the bottom of the rings - it appears that the sides are "bent" in (not really bent, but I couldn't think of a better word), and hold up the bar off the bottom of the rings. Tried laying a scope in 'em and it looked the same. To get the lapping bar to make contact with the bottoms of the rings, I have to put some pretty good downward pressure on the lapping bar.

So for you guys who have lapped several sets, does this sound normal?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have heard more than a few people comment on the gap in the lower ring and others say it's suppose to be like that, one would think that a scope tube would be better off with zero stress on the tube, that's why some bed their scopes into the rings, to reduce stress!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TXRam
All this reminded me that I had a set to mount. So I mounted 'em up and got out my lapping bar & compound. When I set the lapping bar in the rings, it does not touch the bottom of the rings - it appears that the sides are "bent" in (not really bent, but I couldn't think of a better word), and hold up the bar off the bottom of the rings. Tried laying a scope in 'em and it looked the same. To get the lapping bar to make contact with the bottoms of the rings, I have to put some pretty good downward pressure on the lapping bar.

So for you guys who have lapped several sets, does this sound normal?

Supposedly the rings "spring" open, and allow the scope to drop to the bottom. I mounted a set once and after snugging down the top, there was still a gap when viewing with a flashlight. I lap all mine ever since. Lapping is not that big of a deal, and is a fast process especially with aluminum. Not sure why people are in such protest over it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300stw
the 30 or sets i have mounted always show almost the same pattern, no matter how many times i loosen and reset the bases using a stright edge along the side of bases to get them square, i lap the bottom halves to 80 percent contact always

I only own a couple sets, but I lapped mine and they came out just slightly less than these pics. Took it easy and probably could have taken them down a bit further but didn't. Figured they were better than when I got them.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
No, don't bother lapping Talleys...they are perfect. whistle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.