Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So what's your POINT ?

sounds to me that somebody put some envy in with the stupid you stir into your morning coffee, mister (small m).

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep Rugers can shoot .5 for a lot less mula.

not surprised at stupidity coming from your general direction, either.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for putting up these fine pics of some FINE rifles, Sir.

GTC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stunning rifles and not only preserving the highest level of craftsmanship but possibly raising the bar.

Unfortunately the leather cartridge case is about as close to owning one as I am likely to get. But if I could I would.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful! Wood looks a little proud, so the wood/metal fit could be improved just slightly. It does take a ton of time and patience though to fit wood if the metal has already been finished. Can't sand things down flush.

Along those lines, the Shiloh folks seem to be the best at wood/metal fit here in the US. Probably helps that they do everything in their own shop and the fitting can be done while metal is still white.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by sillyazzcharlie

not surprised at stupidity coming from your general direction, either.

grin

I own an even dozen Rugers, so I am quite fond of them. Finding ones with nice wood and good barrels makes the chase interesting. I reckon 5 of mine could be called consistent sub-MOA shooters with their preferred loads. I've seen 3-4 more that might meet that criteria.

½ inch with factory ammo? errr...I wouldn't count on that, regardless of how much time or money you spend on it. The relatively large mainspring whacking away under the barrel probably does nothing good for ultimate accuracy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Beautiful! Wood looks a little proud, so the wood/metal fit could be improved just slightly. It does take a ton of time and patience though to fit wood if the metal has already been finished. Can't sand things down flush.

Along those lines, the Shiloh folks seem to be the best at wood/metal fit here in the US. Probably helps that they do everything in their own shop and the fitting can be done while metal is still white.

The wood is left proud intentionally, as the old time English makers did. It is to allow for refinishing in the future. It takes a lot more time to leave the wood proud to a consistent depth all round, than it does to simply sand it down to the metal.

If you want good quality hay then expect to pay a fair price, if you want to buy hay that has already been thru the horse, well that comes a little cheaper.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here is an email I received 3 days ago from a customer who just received his rifle. A 7 MM Rem Mag. This was completely un-solicited, and very nice to receive....
Incidently Ron is a tool and die maker so knows a thing or two about steel and tolerances. He also a number of very expensive rifles in his collection.

Glenn
Just an update for your info. Rifle shot in today with no issues. From zero settings on scope, windage, was 2 ½ in. right, and 1 ½ in up for a 2 in high at 100 yard zero. Seven shots in total final group was ¾ in. I guess that the new quarter rib did the job quite well! No doubt that the rifle can shoot, but that the shooter is just an old fart. Sorry about that, going to Colorado on Friday. Third season starts on the 31st. All mule deer ,beware!
A final note for now is that the GLENN SOROKA rifle # 22 is a first class work of art, and all who have seen it are impressed, especially me! I am truly amazed that for all of the starts and stops in the progress of the development of this special rifle it has turned out so very well. Definitely has been worth the wait. I have never seen better metal work, the action quality is beyond expression. It is the finest that I have ever seen, and it works flawlessly. To say that it is a beautiful piece of engineering, is an understatement. Your selection of materials is truly the cutting edge for firearm manufacturing.
Make more, all shooters will be the better for it.
I wish you thank you so very much for all of your input these final few weeks.
Cheers
Ron Hansen

If you want good quality hay then expect to pay a fair price, if you want to buy hay that has already been thru the horse, well that comes a little cheaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I am going to speak heresy and say, that in large part, these guns are hand made to look expensive:

I'm going to speak my mind and say, that in large part, you are an envious, small minded moron.

[Linked Image]

I would speculate that with your eyes closed it would be hard to tell the difference between shouldering the Soraka and a Ruger No. 1.

I would speculate that you've never shouldered a rifle that you've tailored to your dimensions.

I would also speculate that it would be hard for most shooters to shoot the Soraka off hand better than they could shoot a Ruger No. 1 off hand.

I would also speculate that a rifle like the Soroka, likely has a trigger that breaks far more cleanly than that of a typical sloppy No.1 trigger. If a really good trigger doesn't improve your offhand shooting, more than any shooting position, you probably suck so bad offhand, that nothing is going to improve on your shooting.

Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I am bemused by fatuous comparisons to lower priced rifles.

To compare a Soroka single shot rifle to a Ruger No.1 is like comparing a Holland and Holland Royal to a Merkel.

Yes, both will shoot, but there the similarity ends.

Each to their own but don't damn the better product.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited by rockdoc; 10/28/15.
IC B3

A
A
I find it simply amazing that there inevitably comes people who can't keep their mouth shut out of envy when another person wants to excel at something.

Here you have an artist with an idea and a desire to simply build something to the highest degree a human can. When he succeeds some dumb ass comes along and wants to tear him down and compare his achievement to a pos (and in comparison the Ruger is a pos)
Taken on its own, the Ruger number 1 is a nice rifle. Compared to the Soroka it is, well, they aren't in the same ballpark.

Lol, you want to knock the Soroka, next time you want to take a flight. ...get to the airport don't look for a quality, ingenious, state of the art, high end aircraft to fly in. .....that's not your style. Remember, you don't like when humans want to build something to the best of their ability. ...you like when they build something cheap and quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
awesome pics, i love Farquharson type rifles though books on them is likely as close as I'm going to get....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

THis is NOT my experience. My Ruger No1, purchased new a year ago is LUCKY to hold 2mao and that is on a good day. I have shot 3 inch groups of 3 at 100. I can outshoot the Ruger with a Miruko 1885, same caliber, iron sights. The Ruger has a scope. I just got a CZ 527 for less money. The cz is another looker and it will hold 1/2 moa, that is 0.5" for FIVE shots at 100, every time. Not a lucky group and go home. Just to say, I am not a hack.

Dont tell me any single shot that will do 1/2 moa is just a fancy Ruger. If there was ever a gun sold based on looks vs performance it is the Ruger No1. To be honest, I only keep my Ruger No1 for its classic good looks. That and someday, I may get it figured out and shooting better. I got a higgs accurizer sitting around here some place to try.

If you cannot afford hi end custom,for a nice looker and shooter then get a Miruko. Even the lowly, H&R single would generally out shoot a No1. But, Remington ran that brand into the dirt and held funeral.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Re: "Made to look expensive"... I have collected and really loved elegant custom rifles for many years. After showing them to many, many others I have come to the following conclusions...

First, you have to be able to tell the difference. I honestly think most people don't recognize art of you hit them in the face with it. They just can't tell the difference.

Secondly, if you do recognize art, it has to mean something to you. You have to care about it enough to be willing to pay for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fourbore
If there was ever a gun sold based on looks vs performance it is the Ruger No1.

"good barrels heal many sins" was inspired by the Ruger #1 smirk With a quality barrel, they are usually quite unfussy smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Ruger may have copied the Farquharson, with their investment cast, # 1………

but to compare the #1 to the Soroka Farquharson is hysterical, and completely low class.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Sirrocco:

Thank you for posting excellent pictures of the Soroka Farquharson custom built rifles. I've never seen one in the actual wood and metal, so your pictures are a real treat. I hope the proud owners of Soroka Farquharson rifles not only take proper care of their masterpieces, but also take them afield!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazing work.

Some folks cannot appreciate the artistry, or the superior function, of rifles like these.

That's ok.

I hope enough can appreciate and afford this type of work such that the artists who create them will always have all the work they can handle.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright

First, you have to be able to tell the difference. I honestly think most people don't recognize art if you hit them in the face with it. They just can't tell the difference.

Secondly, if you do recognize art, it has to mean something to you. You have to care about it enough to be willing to pay for it.

Now, that about sums it up, brief but to the point.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beautiful wood, incredible metal and detail. If it is a shooter, what more would you want in a rifle? Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to put my Ruger #1 out on the curb for pick up. One nice rifle for sure!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.