Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm planning a couple muzzleloader hunts the next couple years and was planning to build a custom muzzleloader. I talked to someone named Cecil in the south about building on a 700 action and a green mountain barrel but the number I have for him isn�t good any longer. Any of you guys have experience building one of these things. I like the idea of being able to use both black and smokeless powder.

Phil in Alaska

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the idea of being able to use both black and smokeless powder.

Phil, why do you say that?

An alternative, perhaps cheaper and one that can drive conicals well. See my post "New Project".

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/02/11.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey there, the reason I like the idea of being able to use both is that some states wont let you use smokeless as I'm sure you know, but would like to be able to use it where I can.

Phil

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only MLer, so called, I'm aware of that you can use smokeless in, is the Savage. They are well regarded for their accuracy, etc, but have been a couple "go" even there. But the one particular one I've seen, idiot put a lot more powder than they're made for, in it.. Just go buy the Savage, and be happy. I'm also not sure, anyone is going to make you a MLer that will use smokeless. Actually, and not trying to get a "discussion" going, but if you're a true MLer person, shoot patched roundballs, and REAL black..only way to go, and then you also have to learn how to hunt. Round balls good to a 100 yds, and since you'll be using iron sights, won't be able to sight well enough to go beyond that. Cleaning a BP gun, after using BP is not a big deal, and you can make your own bullets, etc.. I can shoot my MLer with patched round balls for about $.20 a shot, using faux black (777 etc),and a sabot or lead slug, costs close to $2.00 a shot.

Ghost
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sure you can............

Look a way.....

IC B2

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

Denalilofts,

Here is the one I just completed. Rem 700 action with a McGowen 45 cal. barrel. I have only shot smokeless out of it so far. Very accurate and fun to build.

Rob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Denalilofts
Hey there, the reason I like the idea of being able to use both is that some states wont let you use smokeless as I'm sure you know, but would like to be able to use it where I can.

Phil

What advantage do you see with going both ways?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ghost
The only MLer, so called, I'm aware of that you can use smokeless in, is the Savage. They are well regarded for their accuracy, etc, but have been a couple "go" even there. But the one particular one I've seen, idiot put a lot more powder than they're made for, in it.. Just go buy the Savage, and be happy. I'm also not sure, anyone is going to make you a MLer that will use smokeless....

I have the Savage, and it's a nice gun. But I think Savage dropped it at the beginning of the years.

My gunsmith makes smokeless muzzleloaders on a Rem. 700 action. I don't know what they cost, but they're at least a couple thousand. For a primer, they use a primed brass cartridge trimmed down to about a half-inch.

I have a couple of buddies that have them. One of them shot a 180-class whitetail last year in Ohio at something like 350 yards. If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with the gunsmith. It has become a major part of his business and he's building them for people all over the country.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have several in the works on 700 ML actions, pm me and we can talk...Bill

IC B3

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hillbill has a lot of knowledge on the subject and makes some great guns. Also, you do not need to build them to use a cartridge for ignition. Many are set up to use 209 primers with a Savage breech plug just like the Savage ML'ers. And, you can build them for less than a couple grand.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If this project gets screwry or doesnt turn out the way You like, call Steve Zihn out in Wyo, and have him build You a real custom BP rifle, he is a true craftsman.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the points of view guys, and all the good suggestions both for and against the project on a 700 action.

Phil in Alaska

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
DigitalDan, some states allow the smokeless and some don�t as I'm sure you know. I'll be hunting both. I am really into trying to get the gun to shoot both ways as a challenge and an excuse to hang out at the range more than I do. The faster flatter smokeless setup would be fun in more open country. I can "hunt" and take my share of game, I�m just looking for a challenge and a new project. I'm a Remington man and like to do all things on a 700 action if I can. To each his own right. :-)

Phil in Alaska

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Phil,

Build it and if you don't like it, I am pretty sure it will sell. Lots of fellas over on doug's doing or thinking about doing this very same project. Thats where I got all my info and had a blast building it. I am pretty sure I could get more for mine than I have into it.

Rob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon that's true. I've always sorta taken the simpler direct approach....one gun/one load theory, or better stated, one load per gun.

Was curious about the BP/Smokeless approach more than the gun as I've never held the sabot/sub caliber bullet theory in high esteem for anything smaller than an Abrams Tank. Not a muzzle loader, sorry... I assume you will be shooting such loads with the smokeless if not both?

The gun mentioned in the other thread runs a .40 caliber 370 grain bullet with an average BC around .330. Works well in the wind. You can probably do something of that sort with your 700 build if inclined but I don't think it'll fly with smokeless loads.

I am..........disturbed.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There s a fellow over on Doug's Board named Slufoot. He did a 45-70 Encore barrel for me, I sent him the barrel and a breech plug from a Savage smokeless m/ler, and he coverted into a .45 caliber smokeless m/ler. His charge wasn't much over $125.00 for the whole works, he did a great job and the gun shoots extremely well. He can also do H&R's and just about any single shot rifles. Don't know if he does the Remingtons, but he probably does.

JohnP

JohnP

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.