Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Brought my car in for servicing yesterday and this dealer happens to be on my way home eek He had one of these in 7mm-08 for1800 bucks. I have to say it is the first cooper I have ever picked up and it felt really good. On a sidenote he had a NULA in 7 DAKOTA sitting there as well. They both felt great but there is more of a chance the Excalibur would be going home though. The only thing I didn't like was the fact it had a chromemoly barrel and that is not a big thing mind you . The Cooper test target was obscene

BP-B6

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The Cooper test target was obscene

Coopers are great rifles. I've had two rimfires, no centerfire. Just remember, those groups are shot on a 40+ yd. indoor range, not at the standard 100 yds, as could well be the implied assumption with any published rifle group. For quite a while, I thought Coopers had amazing, near supernatural 100 yd. groups until I learned the details. I think it would be more forth coming if the company acknowledged the actual yardage on the target, but that information is conspicuously absent on every Cooper factory target I've seen. Those guns will generally print around half inch at a hundred, which is still pretty good.

I can't say that Cooper intentionally uses this as a marketing ploy, but if I had assumed 100 yds, I wouldn't think I was the only one. Sometimes it's what you don't say and how you don't say it...

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Very interesting about the 40yd groups..did not know that

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got back from the range after sighting in my seventh Cooper. I've always been able to get groups comparable to the Cooper test target and, easily, groups more than good enough for any big game hunting. They aren't perfect rifles, but they are darn good! They're somewhat heavy and I am not sold on the detachable magazine. I had one (an Excalibur in 25-06) that had some trigger creep. Cooper paid shipping and had the rifle back in my hands in about two weeks, as I recall. Whenever I've had a question, I was always able to speak to someone-on the first phone call- that could help me.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Jim , this gun felt really light and great in my hands

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the 54 is a short action, lighter weight gun. As I recall, the catalog weight on them is 6.5 lbs. I've owned NULAs and- for me- they were too light. Most of the Coopers I've bought have been the long action model 52 in the Excalibur and Jackson Hunter versions which catalog at 7.5- 7.75 pounds. I like the ability to buy an over the counter rifle that doesn't require a visit to the gunsmith to get it bedded, have a trigger job or work to get it to feed. And, with the exception of the one trigger, Cooper has delivered that.I think you would enjoy it, and if you have any customer service issues you should be confident Cooper will address your concern.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JimR
Yeah, the 54 is a short action, lighter weight gun. As I recall, the catalog weight on them is 6.5 lbs. I've owned NULAs and- for me- they were too light. Most of the Coopers I've bought have been the long action model 52 in the Excalibur and Jackson Hunter versions which catalog at 7.5- 7.75 pounds. I like the ability to buy an over the counter rifle that doesn't require a visit to the gunsmith to get it bedded, have a trigger job or work to get it to feed. And, with the exception of the one trigger, Cooper has delivered that.I think you would enjoy it, and if you have any customer service issues you should be confident Cooper will address your concern.

Yep it is a turnkey rifle that is for sure or as close as one would get.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been pleased with my Cooper 52 Excalibur in 270 Win. It weighs 8.5 lbs with scope.....so it's not a mountain rifle. It has a unique safety, one of my favorites and you can cycle the bolt with the safety on. You won't be disappointed.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here is a Cooper model 52, Jackson Game Rifle, chambered in 25-06.
This is my favorite stock style featured by the Coopers.
And like all of the Cooper's I've known, it shoots as good as it looks.

[Linked Image]

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cooper may be one of the best buys on the market today, considering the precision with which they're made, the checkering and handwork on the stock, and quality of the wood. For the accuracy they routinely produce, dollar per dollar, there aren't many manufacturers that can beat them. A great value, maybe a sleeper... (Can't say that too loud, lest they start jacking the prices...)

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
Here is a Cooper model 52, Jackson Game Rifle, chambered in 25-06.
This is my favorite stock style featured by the Coopers.
And like all of the Cooper's I've known, it shoots as good as it looks.

[Linked Image]

GWB

Nice deer, nice rifle, then there's that proud looking dude with the cigar... Did I see "Texas" in the margin...?

I like what I see...

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yeah, Texas,

and some of us believe in "cover scents". I find that effectively employing several cheap cigars almost covers up for the effects of the tamales and frijole beans, and being in deer camp, with no shower for three of four days. Them "Texas Barking Spiders" tend to scare off deer.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/03/11.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
257 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.