Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hemi
*face palm*

When o when do these questions stop!?!

Really?

Hemi

We sure do not want to have people ask questions on the Campfire. What was the OP thinking? This is a place for um....um...um Oh I remember now it is a place to discuss hunting, shooting, reloading ect. Oh wait that is what the OP was doing. Hemi if the Fire bores you then maybe you could use the off part of the onoff function on your computer. It may serve you better than being obnoxious.

8mmwapiti

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just because a moose doesn't drop when hit doesn't mean the bullet isn't any good. Unless spined, a moose isn't nearly as likely as a deer to fall down when touched by a bullet. In fact they occasionally act like they're not bothered much at all.

True, true, and true, except I think there may be a better word than occasionally. I have had exactly three moose drop at the shot - with little rhyme or reason. The first was a 190 Hornady BTSP through the chest, broadside, and the animal; dropped. The second was a 225 TSX (340) through both shoulder joints which, no surprise, took out his forward gear and put him down though still very lively. The third was a 250 Gameking (340) which hit a loping bull at 200 yards; got him a bit farther back than intended, and angled forward from the point of the hip along and past the kidney and spine, missing both, but apparently stunning him so that he dropped immediately. His antlers caught in the ground when he fell and his momentum twisted his neck and head so his nose was pointed skyward when I finally found him. Had that not happened, I suppose he may have gotten up again, but he was dead when I finally found him. I looked, first, well beyond since he had disappeared immediately at the shot. 80-90% of the time I've put two, three, or four shots into moose to better assist gravity.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My extensive expertise hunting Alces Alces consists of one moose, shot with a 250 gr. Partition. Performance was everything you could hope for. Shot a bunch of other stuff, including a brown bear and a couple elk, with the same bullet over the years.

They penetrate deeply while doing a lot of damage along the way. My choice would always be a NP unless required by law to use a lead-free bullet.

Partitions always work.

Partitions never don't work (unless maybe you hunting pachyderms or are on a Sci Fi/Fantasy safari).

But any of the bullets you list will result in the need for a good sharp knife and some freezer wrap, if you do your part.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/05/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A very big "Thank-you" to all who replied. This has helped me more than you will know. I was hoping to get some great input by folks with experiences involving the .358 caliber bullets and large game. You guys have been a great asset.

P.S. Thanks to 8mm for writing exactly what I was thinking on his last post, I ain't a know-it-all and was just looking for a little help. 8mm and the rest of you are good people.

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used my Ruger M77RS 35 Whelen on a couple of moose and finished up one that wasn't aware that the 220 Partition out of a 30-06 had killed him.

I used the 250gr. Speer on two and the 250gr Partition as the uneeded coup de grace shot. This is an insignificant sample size but for me they both worked and I will use them again if the situation presents itself.

I have witnessed several moose taken with the old Hornady 275gr. RNSP out of an old P. O. Ackley barrelled 1903 sporter used by my dad years ago.

As for the Sierra 225, unless they have stiffened them up they would not be my choice for moose. The ones I used back in the late 80's and early 90's were pretty soft at Whelen speeds, everything perished in short order but the bits I recovered from deer, pigs, cow elk, and a nilgai didn't impress me.

Good luck filling your tag.

Last edited by StarchedCover; 07/05/11. Reason: bad spelling

Semper Fi
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Discussions and questions are what this forum and other forums are here for, so as you were.

In regards to the bullet choice, I'd go for the partitions. mainly because of the velocity with your Whelen. The NP has a rep for opening at a very wide velocity range. Barnes is a killer as well, but I would fear lack of expansion at Whelen velocities. With that said, either bullet will kill em dead. Wish you luck and be sure to post some pics for those that cant seem to draw a tag.

Joseph

Joseph
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've shot about 10 whitetails with 225 gr. Game kings in my Whelen. I'd say if anything they're on the soft side for moose. I'd probably go with a partition.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.