Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kique,

I corresponded with John Burns recently about 7mm Magnum loads. He quoted the same load to me, and was with BOTW a few years ago. But he also made sure to point out that his 7mm RM's (Greybull) have longer throats than factory standard, so can take a little more powder.

That noted, Retumbo is a fine powder with heavier bullets in the 7mm Remington Magnum, despite what QL may indicate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
You're right, high pressure signs are not science. But people much smarter than me have observed that once you get them, you're usually operating above safe pressures.

And if I had to choose either ejector marks or Quickload to believe, its a very easy choice.

If you want science, use your chronograph.

Lots of things can cause a transient pressure spike. If you're operating at the top of or above safe pressures, you've lost your safety margin. To me, the extra fps are not worth it, but suit yourself.

You misunderstood my last post. I'm not advocating operating with pressure signs; on the contrary, I was lamenting that I'd ultimately have to step down from this load if a change in components or seating depth didn't cause the signs to go away. Maybe I wasn't clear.

If you look at the original post, this was an experiment in seating depth, and only at 0.010" off the lands did I have light ejector marks. At all other seating depths, they went away. Whether or not a change in primers would cause the marks to go away remains to be seen.

I could really care less about the velocity. I'm after accuracy. It just so happens that the VLD is shooting best right off the lands, and this is where pressure, naturally, is going to be highest. Life sucks...really no surprises here, I guess.

Last edited by richardca99; 07/03/11.

Chris
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You really need to chronograph the loads you are using. That will clear up a lot of speculation regarding pressure.

Sooty necks and ejector marks could be high pressure that built slowly, or it could be FL sized brass imprinting a boltface. Or it could just be a boltface that isn't square with the chamber.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by richardca99

I could really care less about the velocity.

It's your best indicator that you're getting near max. Safe pressures. Especially valuable with pressure signs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't clocked it yet.

Im thinkin' youre running about 3k. wink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i like 7828 ssc, i am running 66.5 grains in once fired weight sorted cases, 3023 ave for 40 rounds, SD of 12, will shoot .5 moa out to 800 yds or so, kreiger #4 contour 26in long,,,,i tried retumbo and h1000, never got the accuracy and only a little more speed,, i know i weigh all cases, +or- 1 grain is one lot, heavier is a lot, lighter is a lot, out of a bag of 50 wincehster brass i get around 30 that are close to the same,,i adjust my loads to 3025fps or so with each lot of brass, if i get to 2950 or so my gun does not group as well, about 1.2 MOA,

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

I could really care less about the velocity.

It's your best indicator that you're getting near max. Safe pressures. Especially valuable with pressure signs.

What I was trying to say in the post from which this excerpt was taken is that I'm not loading the 7mm for max velocity; accuracy is what matters most to me. I acknowledge the utility of velocity readings as one approaches pressure limits.

Chris
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TOP said it all! I always shoot my loads using at least one Chrony and many times I use 2 of them just for the record.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My first move would be a different powder or a different primer if your stuck on Retumbo. Powder change usually makes the largest impact, but I have seen primer swaps bring things together as well. My first move would be to grab two more powders, r22 and IMR7828 would be high on the list.

The 162AMAX shoots outstanding in my SFII 7RM over just about any powder/primer/brass combo you throw at it. It's done so-so with 140VLDs thus far(.5-.6moa). Just bought a box of the 168VLDs to try, but they'll have to really shine to beat the 162AMAX.

Good Luck

loder

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.