Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had sworn off Gore Tex breathable rain gear quite a while back but I need something a bit lighter than my Impertech when in the mountains. I know there are some here that have used the MT050 rain gear and I would like to hear how it performed, it's packability, and it's durability. I am looking at getting some in the Mountain Mimicry 1.0 pattern.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the MT050 Gore-Tex rain gear i have is the fleece soft shell type. I think it a has a thin soft shell fleece outer, then the GTX, then a mesh inside for wicking. It is heavy and very quiet but it also is the most waterproof out of all the Gore-tex i have tried. I only use it during Elk season when hunting out of a base camp. For backpack style hunts i have the paclite gore tex from Cabelas, i think its called Alaskan something or other. The paclite stuff is a hard shell with no linings, mesh or anything. It packs up really small but is a bit loud through the brush.It also wears out faster because it has no protection because its just a single layer.

For what its worth I have been trying out Marmot precip and its very durable, lighter and more packable than GTX and waterproof but does not breath as well as GTX. I would like to try some e-vent stuff but i am to hard on raingear to drop $250 a peice for it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mt50 would be a great rain gear if they would put pit zips in them so far they don't. I had a pair of pants sold them this year and went with the Kuiu.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ehunter
Mt50 would be a great rain gear if they would put pit zips in them so far they don't. I had a pair of pants sold them this year and went with the Kuiu.
THough I've only fondled it, I've always thought the same regarding the lack of pitzips. If they had that at its current price, I'd have the jacket at least.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Cabelas MT050 Gore Tex Quiet Pack jacket/pants is the stuff I am getting, they don't have the Mountain Mimicry pattern in stock right now so I can always cancel it if the reviews I get aren't very good. I'm rough on my gear too and I can't see spending that kind of money on something that might last just couple of years.

Steelhead

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
To be honest last year we had a wet humid fall and I got tired of being wet from sweat. The MT50 pants where just to heavy for all day hiking. I took my Marmot top with me most days. We are not climbing the mountains you guys are but we still averaged around 8 miles a day a lot of it is up hill. I wanted something with pit zips and that was light enough to pack around all day. I have worn the Kuiu rain gear twice this summer on day hikes in the rain and it breaths a lot better than the MT50. The MT50 pack gear was the best bow hunting gear I had worn until this year but it would have been a major improvement if had pit zips and I have called and asked them a number of times to add them. If they had I would not have ponied up. Now the other thing I like about the Kuiu is that is has stretch in it. I will let you know how it holds up this season after 15 days in the re-prod and timber. I hope pretty well or I am going to be eating a crow while crying smile

Last edited by ehunter; 07/05/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Big W, is the Precip cooler than the Impertech jacket? I can live with it being less breathable as long as I don't overheat in it.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not tried Impertech yet but the Precip jacket i have has pit zips so your good to go(and its a nice dark green color). You just cant leave them open if your in a downpour. It cuts the wind great also, my Gore-tex feels like i have a mesh jacket on, the wind goes right through it. I guess you have to pick and choose how you want your gear to perform as i have not seen a perfect rain fabric yet(need to try some event though).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have it and wouldn't buy it again for half the price. Especially if I was in Alaska wet. Once the wet seeps in from the collar, it stays wet and damp for some time. Unless you have a place to dry it out, you put on damp gear the next day.

Gore is far down on my list of rain gear.

Cabela's "Space Rain" outfits on the other hand are extremely light weight and dry quickly. Still wouldn't be my first choice for Alaska rain, rain and more rain. Will take a moderate amount of beating the brush.

Light weight HH-although a little bulky to pack-for me is worth the effort to bring it. Also makes a great windbreaker.

Last edited by battue; 07/05/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I wouldn't buy the MT50 again. The jacket design is poor -- too much fabric in the arms. It's heavy. It's fairly durable but not very breathable. For me, I don't think quiet rain gear is necessary. In my experience, a steady enough rain to require a jacket would drown out the sound of any nylon jacket. If it's just a drizzle or light rain, I'll stick to Kuiu Guide jacket or similar.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Outfitter I had in Alaska suggested MT050, Space Rain and HH, with MT050 being number three. Guides were all packing HH.

JustSeth. You still have those big Whitetails running around Yaak?

Last edited by battue; 07/05/11.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been using a pair of Cabela's MT050 rain paints for the past 5 or 6 years now. Best rain paints ever, I think! No rips or tears, still 100% waterproof, and quiet. These pants have seen countless miles and just about every type of Alaskan terrain out there.

The only thing I noticed different about them now, is that this pair of pants is getting old, they seem to hold water a little longer and take longer to dry out on the outside, but water has yet to seep through on me.

I'm going to hunt with them next month and then replace them with another pair with different camo colors.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had the uninsulated MT050 jacket for about 10yrs, don't always pack it since it's on the heavy side. It's quiet and windproof but the fleece texture collects moisture and holds it a long time before it will dry out. It actually keeps one colder after it quits raining and takes on more weight due to the fleece texture. Great wind jacket though for hunting near a truck or boat.

MtnHtr

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The MTO50 will take a beating and hold up. I could live with the pants. The jacket is pretty much used only for chilly days when I don't expect rain.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Been using MT050 for years. Pretty good, but as the others have stated, not perfect. I've yet to get wet while wearing it though. Here in Washington, elsewhere in the PNW, or up in Alaska. So far, so good.

Treated my son to a set a couple of years ago for hunting. He thinks he's in heaven, hunting dry and comfortable.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well after hearing more negative then positive reviews I went ahead and cancelled the MT050 and am now searching for something better. Right now I am looking at the Precip, for $69 at Cabelas I don't think I can go wrong. I've got the Impertech already so I've got that as a backup plan. Appreciate everyones input on this stuff.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have the 30% of dealflyer you can get precip here for only $48 for the jacket (I'd probably opt for the green) and $36 for the pants.
http://ww2.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~2283a/?filterString=Search~precip%2F

http://ww2.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~2283d/?filterString=Search~precip%2F

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't have the flyer Luke, how did you get it? I am subscribed to their e-mail system and it's only giving me 20% off.

How did you like your Precip Luke?

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just sign up for their deal flyer by typing your email address into whereever it is on their site to sign up for the dealflyer and you'll get a couple emails a week letting you know that you have a discount for anything from 20% to sometimes 40% off even over whatever their current discounted price is.

I never have used precip. I went from Impertech (heavy) to gore-tex pro shells (expensive and still didn't breath all that well) to eVent (light, breathes well, and not as expensive as gore-tex pro shells.) But I still use impertech for motorized based hunts.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
What about the Kryptek gear? I think someone should try it & give us a unbiased report.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 79 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.