-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geez, Uncle Sam uses the 300 Win Mag as one of the calibers in the sniper/SOG arsenal, Recently ordered a bunch more to be built. THe 300WM is continuing to build its reputation for LONG range accuracy in the sand box alongside the 338L and 50BMG.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bigger question- is there any cartridge inherintly inaccurate?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The obvious...any caliber that's spent time in sniper specific usage can't be inaccurate. It's simply definitional.

Is there any chance this person is trying to talk the other out of the .300 for other reasons? Does he think the .300 is too much for the other to handle? Perhaps trying to sell him a different rifle of his own?

Upshot; maybe there are reasons this person has to hedge the truth a bit but there's no getting around the fact that any statement about .300's being inaccurate "just 'cause" is patently and demonstrably false.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the guys that build accurate rifles will tell you that there are some calibers that are far more challenging than others. Further believe that there are calibers that certain riflemakers won't accept an order to build as their experience has shown that it takes to many hours & barrels to finally get the high performance their reputation demands.
J Barsness wrote a pretty good story interviewing Malcom Forbes, D"Arcy Echols and some others about this question.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Gus_K
A friend called me this morning. He's been toyng with the idea of buying a 300 Win Mag and found a good buy in a Howa 1500. But first, he asked a benchrest friend who works in a gun shop he frequents about the 300 Win Mag. The friend went on to tell him that 300 WM's are notorious for being inaccurate - the best one he;s seen would shoot around 2 MOA. This includes Sako's, Winchesters, Brownings etc......No amount of tweeking would make them shoot better. He advised him to stick to his 270WSM.

I found this quite hard to believe that he had this opinion about the 300 Win Mag. I have never owned one but have shot a friends Tikka T3 - and that shot quite well.

Is the benchrest guy full of [bleep]???

Gus

The gunsmiths statement is the only thing inaccurate!

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BS, just take a look at BR records. The 300WM hangs right with many other big 300s in long range matches.

I have a 300WM in the safe right now that shoots so-so. Kept coming back to this particular load in development. Luckily still have about 600 Mks from that lot and 6-7lbs or so H4831 from that lot. Maybe just a fluke and your buddy is right laugh :
[Linked Image]

loder

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to load for a friend's 300 Win. and it was more accurate at longer ranges than any of my own rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The 300 Win Mags that I've been around have shot very well.
Here is a couple of targets from my 300 Win. This is a representation of the acuracy I get with mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The .300 Win Mag is an inherently accurate caliber, as demonstrated by posters on this thread. The move to 6.5-284 and other lighter calibers by LR target shooters wasn't because the .300 Win Mag wasn't accurate, they were simply looking for a target round with equivalent accuracy and less recoil. That's not an issue with hunters, but target shooter shoot a lot of rounds during a match.

I have a number of fine rifles. If I was limited to only one, it would be my .300 Win Mag, Ed Brown Damara. It weighs less than 7#'s and shoots sub-MOA. The .300 Win Mag, IMHO, is one of the most useful hunting rounds, period. It can be loaded to take just about any game on this continent and most game animals on other continents. There aren't many ctgs. more flexible and adaptable than the .300 Win Mag. And regarding accuracy, it can hold its own with anything in its class.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 300 Winny is my first and only magnum cartridge. I shoot it out of a 700P and I reload for it. This is one of the most accurate rifles I own and relaoding is as easy as any other bottle necked cartridge. I have had zero problems with it.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some of the guys that build accurate rifles will tell you that there are some calibers that are far more challenging than others. Further believe that there are calibers that certain riflemakers won't accept an order to build as their experience has shown that it takes to many hours & barrels to finally get the high performance their reputation demands.
J Barsness wrote a pretty good story interviewing Malcom Forbes, D"Arcy Echols and some others about this question.

I've read some stuff like that, and IIRC the 300 Win. magnum is one the builders like to use because it's pretty easy to get working well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last fall, just before elk season, I took my Ruger MKII "boat paddle" .300WM and MKII .30-06 �boat paddle� to the range for a final check before the elk hunt. During that session I used took 5 shots at clay pigeons at 600 yards, 3 shots with one rifle and 2 with the other. Misses were not by enough to matter with either rifle and each scored a hit.

Here is a target shot with the .300WM, first shot from a clean bore. As you can see, accuracy sux.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I read that Kenny Jarret would always recommend the .300 Win. as a good bet to get an accurate rifle with a factory round. Might even be his favorite factory round as all the other favorites are AI's or his own line.

My own is absolutely boring in it's regularity I have yet to find a bad load for it. Just use any of the recommended powders run up to near maximum and your done with load development. Usually easy to get two different bullets to the same point of aim with minor tweaking.

Something fishy was up with the BR guy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
He probably just didn't like magnums going off next to his ear.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Bigger question- is there any cartridge inherintly inaccurate?

There are some that are easier to work with than others, that's for sure. "Inherently inaccurate" may be problematical to define, as most any round could theoretically be made to shoot pretty well. Some just seem less finicky than others, and the .300 Win Mag would definitely be on that list. Of course, we're talking quality barrels, good equipment, etc...

DF

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
This is my friends Model 70 built in 1965 with factory ammo that I shot at 100 yards. This is 3 shots. Also I believe that the Secret Service snipers use a 300 wm.

[Linked Image]

Corey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Corey ...you missed with all three shots!!! smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by avagadro
Hey Corey ...you missed with all three shots!!! smile
Yeah,-the-thing-missing-is-the-triangular-group-inside-the-center-at-12,4,and-8-oclock.-Then-you-could-comment-on-how-much-better-that-was.(Happens-to-me-all-the-time..........dang-space-bar-needs-to-be-cleaned-or-something.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentleman,
many thanks for the great feedback and I do thing that someone is blowing in someones azz!! Either the Bechrest guy is or my friend is making an excuse !!
Went and got a hair cut last night and my barber (who has a real neat 300 Win Mag) laughed when i told him this. I have fired his gun and CAN vouch that its accurate. His gun can put 5 shots into an inch at 100m - easy - and I have seen him do it too.

I personally have a 30-06 as my 30 calibre rifle and find it fulfills all my requirements. I am not one to bag any calibre.

Thanks to all who posted.

Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a 3" 3 shot group at 1000 yards this morning with a TRG42 in 300 win. Nothing wrong with this caliber.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.