Print Thread
Hop To
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Any of you guys have a canoe? I am sure you do BTW. Anyway, how do you transport it/them? I have a Crew Cab GMC and it hangs out the bed to far.

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The safest way to carry it long distances is to get a set of roof racks (Yakima, etc,) and carry it up there. If you live where theft might be a problem, substitute hex nuts (one snugging and one locking) for the wing nuts and carry a ratchet with a socket wrench and an open end wrench. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will slow them down.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Lots of ways to skin this cat......

Here are a few------>

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/racks.php

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
aint complicated (bumper is tweaked from a deer not the straps)
70+mph for a couple hundred miles multiple times, it doesnt move. Just if the roof is frosty and your loading it by yourself dont get behind the canoe before its tied, cuz it will run your azz over.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 07/10/11.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i've done it the same way as mudbogger.As far as the cushions i got mine years ago i think from bass pro with a lit to grip the canoe and protect the roof

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made a piece that slides into the receiver hitch and extends back to about one foot from the end of the canoe when laying in the truck bed. Attached lights to it for signals, brakes and running, couple eyes for a tie down. No lifting onto the roof.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tbear99
i've done it the same way as mudbogger.As far as the cushions i got mine years ago i think from bass pro with a lit to grip the canoe and protect the roof

Saw a 4door tacoma the other day with a canoe on the roof with those things. Looked pretty slick. Granted I would probly loose one of them and have to figure out what the heck do I do with just one of the clamp things because if I buy a new one then I will find the one I lost and then I got three and im back at step one again grin

I'll stick with a rolled up towel, or just say screw it, im short an cant see the roof of the truck so it doesnt matter how scratched up it gets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have a headache rack on my truck and made a "goal post" that slides into the reciever, I load the atv all my other junk have some one help me toss the canoe up top and a way we go,

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
"Goal posts" in the stake pockets is another way to go.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A ladder rack works good, too. I used to use the foam blocks on the roof of my car. Worked ok...except for rubbing the paint off of the roof.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've never loaded either of my canoes on my truck yet(I've got a boat-loader,I wonder how that's going to work?),I've sure done some distances with them on my Cherokee. Make sure it's solid,gravel road will loosen almost any, except quality straps.I used simple clam clamps from Clipper.For under the gunnels on the Thule rack I slide on heavy bike tube.Over the canoe,under the strap, that waffle rubber used in kitchen shelves. At the front and back as wide A-frame tie as you can do. I put stainless eye-bolt on the undersides of the bumpers.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
[Linked Image]

Ive done it just like that for hundreds if not thousands of miles without failure. Word to the wise, that angle makes for a lot of drag.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, I used the foam blocks on a '71 Nova. The canoe served as a bug funnel. The air would pick up bugs in front, channel them to the back, then splat them straight down on the trunk lid. After an evening drive home, I'd have more bugs on the trunk lid than on the windshield.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Win_94
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
[Linked Image]

Ive done it just like that for hundreds if not thousands of miles without failure. Word to the wise, that angle makes for a lot of drag.

I've never done it like that and never will 'cause it is a boneheaded move. The canoe needs to be carried level, either in the bed or elevated over the cab. If you could calculate the wind load/lift from that technique in the picture it would be scary and ALL of it is on that front rope. Do you even know what that rope's rated test is. That picture is an ideal demo of how NOT to carry a canoe.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I dont see any rope in the pitcure.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 08/12/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.