24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure how you guys are changing the thread's title to .243 OK, on Elk (or Grizzlies) - but it's got me in stitches.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ya, has gone a bit off topic. Always will be the small/bigger is better issue. I tend towards the bigger is better. Everyone has their own choices to make. For myself I will go with what has worked for me. As has been stated before why does one need more than one rifle? I could agree with that, but it would not be near as fun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Ya, has gone a bit off topic. Always will be the small/bigger is better issue. I tend towards the bigger is better. Everyone has their own choices to make. For myself I will go with what has worked for me. As has been stated before why does one need more than one rifle? I could agree with that, but it would not be near as fun.

Since when did a 24CF thread ever stay in topic?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
I'm not sure how you guys are changing the thread's title to .243 OK, on Elk (or Grizzlies) - but it's got me in stitches.

My bad. "You guys" was all my fault. Just use the regular "reply" link and you can change the title to anything you want. It wasn't so many years ago that the Roberts was debated for elk on internet forums - and the result was that people tended to disparage the idea. Nothing has changed in that time other than people's opinions.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the thread is official derailed. Moose are one thing but taking up to grizzlies is apples and oranges. How about elephants? Cape Buffalo? Sasquatch?

I think moose will go down easier than elk, and especially bears. I don't think they have the toughness or whatever you want to call it compared to elk. One through the lungs and wait till they tip over. It just takes a little time to deflate them compared to your standard whitetail.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK...WTF....I'll play...

1. Elk-yes.
2. moose. Yes
3. grizzlies- sure..what the hey...
4. elephant-give me a 120 gr. round nose solid..I'll try anything once....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The famous African professional hunter John Kingsley-Heath killed a bull elephant quite suddenly with a .243. He used a bullet custom-made by Speer specifically for the purpose, and put it in the ear-hole. Crash!

Kingsley-Heath admitted that was something of a stunt, but firmly believed the .243 was the best leopard cartridge ever. This always gets a rise from "modern" African hunters, whether amateur or pro, but JKH's reasoning was pretty clear: The .243 didn't kick enough to bother anybody, and the bullets expanded perfectly for killing 150-pound animals, especially at typical bait-hunting ranges. Over a career that was over a half a century long, he not only killed a pile of leopards himself but guided clients to hundreds, in several African countries.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Partagas
I think the thread is official derailed. Moose are one thing but taking up to grizzlies is apples and oranges. How about elephants? Cape Buffalo? Sasquatch?

I think moose will go down easier than elk, and especially bears. I don't think they have the toughness or whatever you want to call it compared to elk. One through the lungs and wait till they tip over. It just takes a little time to deflate them compared to your standard whitetail.
One through the lungs and wait til they tip over works,and moose seldom take much notice of a big bullet through the boiler room,but it has been my experience that with smaller calibres they tend to wander a bit before they fall,and the wandering can often be into a swamp or a willow jungle.I shoot an 8mmMag at BC mooses,and I keep shooting til the legs go up in the air!! grin Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK...WTF....I'll play...

Perhaps the best thread ever. Good information, some heartfelt responses - but the satire is just rich, I mean golden.
I can not quit laughin'.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OK 243 is great for 150# animals?? Have never baited a moose, wait, I will admit I have never shot a moose.. Good to go I will sell all my other rifles and keep the 243. Mice to Elephants nothing else needed.
No not really but will keep the 243 because it does work well in its niche..

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There another consideration. From what I've seen with you ( limited) they can have more poise than mNy adults. They simply don't know they should be nervous plus they are more patient for the right shot. They don't take marginal shots because they've been told not to. Judge the maturity of your son and let that also guide your decision. Not all new hunters need extra margin of error. Some need less because they are less willing to push the limits

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Monashee
Originally Posted by Partagas

One through the lungs and wait til they tip over works,and moose seldom take much notice of a big bullet through the boiler room,but it has been my experience that with smaller calibres they tend to wander a bit before they fall,and the wandering can often be into a swamp or a willow jungle.I shoot an 8mmMag at BC mooses,and I keep shooting til the legs go up in the air!! grin Monashee

Thinking you have not seen many moose or bears shot... I have seen a number of moose take a ridiculous amount of killing... My elk experience is way limited, but there is no way I would hesitate to shoot an elk with a 243 and a TSX, while holding on the shoulder.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't think of anything, hit well - including bears, that has lasted very long. I don't include critters that paint the countryside as necessarily hit well however. Some animals do seem to be able to survive by pumping adrenaline fumes through their veins if your don't hit the drains too hard to begin with. FWIW, more than a few bears don't get hit well initially which is partly why they have a reputation for toughness, I believe.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
grin

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If your Son can't shoot the 30-06 or the 6.5X55 , he's not ready to hunt Moose yet ! IMHO

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
If your Son can't shoot the 30-06 or the 6.5X55 , he's not ready to hunt Moose yet ! IMHO

Pretty arrogant statement there...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I agree. I did not let my son put in for Moose until he turned 14 this year. Reason was because he hunted with a .243. This year he has a Ruger .270 and he is shooting it well so we put him in for moose. Since I apparently need to qualify my opinion with my experience here, I've shot three moose. A bull and a cow in Vermont and a bull in New Hampshire. I've also participated in moose hunts with my wife and BIL in VT and NH. All were DIY without a guide in sight save the Holy Spirit who guides me in all things. Just my opinion, and yes .243 guys I am allowed to have one. I'm hoping my boy pulls a VT moose tag here in two weeks.

Last edited by moosemike; 07/13/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Go ya one better, beins you're a full growed bonafide he man, if you can't shoot a 458 lott loaded full house with 500 gr bullets, with a stock that a full 2 inches to long and a checkered steel buttplate you're a puss...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranch13

Go ya one better, beins you're a full growed bonafide he man, if you can't shoot a 458 lott loaded full house with 500 gr bullets, with a stock that a full 2 inches to long and a checkered steel buttplate you're a puss...

Who has a .458 Win with a steel buttplate?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guess you fall in the puss catagory then?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 70 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.