24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any gun you have in your hands is better than any gun in the safe.

Likewise, the gun you have in your safe is better than the one in the store. The one in the store is better than the one on the magazine page.

If you only have one gun, and think of yourself as a *hunter* rather than a killer, a shooter, a butcher or a dude...you can humanely harvest many animals. It is about passing up the marginal shot. The ethical hunter will pass up more shots with a .243 than he/she would with a 30-06 when hunting 'stretch' targets.

Be careful about drinking the velocity koolaid. For a given bullet, more velocity almost always means less penetration. That is counter-intuitive. Vanilla cup-n-core bullets are usually pretty happy with an impact velocity of 2400fps. Ethical hunting with vanilla bullets means you might have to pass up shots that are too close if you are launching the pill at 3000fps.

Generally, free advice is worth between 1 and 5 times what you paid for it. This advise was freely given.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by deg967
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ah, now we're getting to it. Name-calling on the Campfire, including the implication that the other guy totally lacks hunting ethics, or is some sort of girly-man. Hard to beat both for originality.

I agree with you MuleDeer...pitiful how ONE person asks a question wanting/needing advice on something and it gets ,somehow, to this bullschitt. Still donno why we can't all stay on the topic...

??? And your answer to which bullet to use in his sons 243 was hidden in code in that wonderfully thought out piece of suckup????

Rancho..you're clearly fishin for arguments..which is one reason why this thread went to hell in the first place..I believe it was you that "accused" someone of being a real he-man..well why don't YOU try it for a while and act like one. Aint noone suckin up to noone here..I dont know anyone on here personally and don't plan on asking anyone for any favors..just adise and opinions from time to time..and unless you can step up to the plate and be a team player and stop your BS , I'd prefer you not make any comments on anything I post. Thanks ahead of time....
And BTW..if I was ever fortunate enough to go on a Moose hunt and HAD to use a .243..my bullet choice would be a TSX/TTSX , ...to the head...

Last edited by deg967; 07/15/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw that too!

Clickin' on the list of forums is a hoot with this one - that's where the "new" titles show up.

Last edited by Mako25; 07/15/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mako25
Saw that too!

Clickin' on the list of forums is a hoot with this one - that's where the "new" titles show up.

Yea, I was wondering about that.. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought this 'n' had wrung the last giggle out of me yesterday, but no Sir, tonight was pretty good as well.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deg967
[quote=Ranch13][Rancho..you're clearly fishin for arguments..which is one reason why this thread went to hell in the first place..I believe it was you that "accused" someone of being a real he-man..well why don't YOU try it for a while and act like one. Aint noone suckin up to noone here..I dont know anyone on here personally and don't plan on asking anyone for any favors..just adise and opinions from time to time..and unless you can step up to the plate and be a team player and stop your BS , I'd prefer you not make any comments on anything I post. Thanks ahead of time....
And BTW..if I was ever fortunate enough to go on a Moose hunt and HAD to use a .243..my bullet choice would be a TSX/TTSX , ...to the head...

Uhh no not looking for arquement...
You may want to go back and reread thru this thread, carefully this time.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Any gun you have in your hands is better than any gun in the safe.

Likewise, the gun you have in your safe is better than the one in the store. The one in the store is better than the one on the magazine page.

If you only have one gun, and think of yourself as a *hunter* rather than a killer, a shooter, a butcher or a dude...you can humanely harvest many animals. It is about passing up the marginal shot. The ethical hunter will pass up more shots with a .243 than he/she would with a 30-06 when hunting 'stretch' targets.

Be careful about drinking the velocity koolaid. For a given bullet, more velocity almost always means less penetration. That is counter-intuitive. Vanilla cup-n-core bullets are usually pretty happy with an impact velocity of 2400fps. Ethical hunting with vanilla bullets means you might have to pass up shots that are too close if you are launching the pill at 3000fps.

Generally, free advice is worth between 1 and 5 times what you paid for it. This advise was freely given.

You are absolutely right.
Thing is Elmer Keith and Jack OConnor were both right. Big and slow kills very effectively and you can eat right up to the hole. Light and fast kills like a lightning bolt at longer ranges with easily placed shots.
Been there done that with both sides of the arquement, and own and use rifles that proove both arquements.
Just not sure how some keyboard commando can prounounce someone unfit to hunt, because that person in question isn't using the king's choice of cartridge?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
obviously many missed the original tongue in cheek post of Ranch13's.....

I have never seen such heated arguements over .007-.02". Most men argue over 5-6" not hundredths of an inch. Its just a cartridge and its a free country. It's not like we are arguing over who's mother is the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bingo Partagas.
Planning to be in your part of the world in a couple months, might drop you a pm and see about buying you a cup of coffee....

www.historicshooting.com
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have never shot a space alien but if I knew they were coming for me I would load hardened steel 3/8" dowel pins out of my 375 H&H Magnum. That outta do it.
Just a thought the Minnesota DNR used to suggest that the .280 Remington was a good minimum cartridge for moose.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by jagd
I've read a few stories of .243's taking out moose no problem.

you know what caliber has killed more elephant than any other?

7x57.

so what to say a .243 can't kill anything on this continent without issue.

7,62x39 will be a better answer ... AK47 and the ammo are flooding on the continent ....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that was in reference to Walter Bell, who killed well over 1000 elephants with a 7x57 and IIRC, very precise brain shots with the bullet passing through an opening in the skull (the elephant's "temple" maybe?) and bypassing bone.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With a 40 rd magazine they should make a good elephant rifle with fmj bullets. Space aliens beware! When will Polska chime in?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I think that was in reference to Walter Bell, who killed well over 1000 elephants with a 7x57 and IIRC, very precise brain shots with the bullet passing through an opening in the skull (the elephant's "temple" maybe?) and bypassing bone.

from memories at least half have been wounded ... i ve met some old ivory hunters that never met Bell but used too small calibers. but those guys were crazy.
my reference too was all the guerillas around that used ak to make meat and of course ivory traffic ..

all the best.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
but back to the topic 243 will work on moose or grizzly even if it will not be my first choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonphil
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

from memories at least half have been wounded ... i ve met some old ivory hunters that never met Bell but used too small calibers. but those guys were crazy.
my reference too was all the guerillas around that used ak to make meat and of course ivory traffic ..

all the best.

I have no doubt the AK-47 has killed thousands of elephants by ivory hunters, and you may very well be correct that the 7.62x39 has killed more than any other. Good call. I do wonder how many shots it takes on average to kill one, even with FMJs to the head.

This is getting way off subject.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If all I had was a 243 and I wanted moose on the table then there would be moose on the table. Moose are not hard to kill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back to being on subject...this ain't no .243 (or 6.5X55 for that matter) so it really has no bearing on the subject at hand, but at least it's getting off the topic of elephants and space aliens.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not want to be a thing with a 223AI in my hands. I'd like to be a thing even less, as I'd probably be more deader, with a 243 in my hands.

Rock on

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys, he didn't get draw for moose, so it's a moot point. Thanks for the input.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.