Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, so I wanted to get a rifle set-up to try some long (to me) target shooting (start at 500yds and work my way out). I decided on a 7mm WSM, so that narrowed my choice of rifles drastically since I wanted something on the heavy side to make the shooting a little more pleasurable. Finally found one of the New Haven Coyotes in like new condition, bought it (along with 140rds of Federal factory ammo, mainly for the brass) and picked it up from my FFL today.

I had a Near Mfg 10MOA picatinny rail that I had bought from Cabela's a few years back on clearance. I prep'ed everything, taped off the action (minus the portions where the base sits), sprayed Hornady One Shot on it, and mixed up a small amount of Marinetex. It's not sitting with the base mounted with ~10inlbs of torque - figured that was enough to seat it good without inducing any "bending" of the rail if the action is not exactly square.

I'll finish up the base tomorrow night (torque it properly), mount the scope rings, lap 'em, and get a scope mounted.

Hope to get out to the range (300yds max) this weekend, sight it in and shoot a group or two.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I'm looking forward to your target pics, to see how your new rig works at the longer ranges...great cartridge!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nobody believes you until we see pictures!! (grin) grin

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, I know . . .

Got the rings mounted and lapped and scope mounted tonight, and bore-sighted it (visually across the backyard). Also pulled it out of the stock - still had the hot glue "bedding" and glue on the trigger. Did I mention it was like new???

Anyway, that was the hardest Win hot glue bedding to remove that I've ever encountered, and I've done a few. Went ahead and drilled some holes in the stock and scuffed it up to prepare it for a proper bedding job which it will get tomorrow night. Then I think it'll be ready for the range.

It has a thin recoil pad - that might have to be replaced shortly. I know it's heavier than a regular sporter (I need to weigh it when I take some pic's), but I still think a 1" Decelerator will help. I need to grind a couple more too, so this weekend I'll probably get out the disc sander and go to town.

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

Winchester M70 Coyote 7mm WSM
Near Mfg 10MOA Picatinny Rail
Leupold PRW rings
Sightron SII 6-24X42MD

10lbs 9oz as it sits (empty).

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice! Hope she shoots for you!

What bullets are you going to try?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice! I have a pair of em (.223 and .243). I've heard they are hit or miss as far as accuracy goes, but mine both shoot good. I bought the .223 and liked it so much I grabbed the .243 when I saw it cheap. Wouldn't complain about a 7wsm that's for sure.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Nice! Hope she shoots for you!

What bullets are you going to try?

Well, I've got several boxes of factory Federal ammo to shoot first - wasn't much more than buying Win brass, so I thought I'd do that to see if the Fed brass is any better than the Win.

After that, probably try the Hornady 162gr Amax, maybe one of the Berger's.

Any suggestions???

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, replace the Sightron with a Conquest 4.5x14...

Dave

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Alright now I believe you... wink

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
IC B3

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good luck with your new rifle. I have the same gun in 270 wsm and never got it to shoot good. Its a 1 moa at best so for long range shooting its a no go. Every gun is different though and everybodys expectations are different so i'm hoping yours works. ED

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having played with a 7WSM a lot this year, the greatest limiting factor is the LOUSY brass that Winchester makes for it-as far as I know, they are the only ones making 7WSM brass.

I tried to buy 300WSM brass. I had Norma backordered at Graffs for 120 days before I finally got it recently. I got some Federal before that but it is no better than the W-W brass. It belongs to my buddy, if it were mine, I would set the barrel back and rechamber to 7x300 WSM- as it is, all the 300 stuff has to be fire-formed to blow the shoulder out and shorten the neck.

Too much trouble for me to ever buy one myself. Hope yours is a shooter, the one I have been playing with is a Savage 116 custom shop rifle and it does shoot very well when I can put 5 good pieces of brass together!

It shoots the 180 Bergers into about .5-.6 MOA so far. Been too windy and then too hot to really wring it out this year.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you neck up the Norma 270WSM brass???

Dave

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I could, but easier to neck down the 300WSM brass - neck is already big enough to create the false shoulder. Would have to expand the 270WSM brass necks, then partially size it back down to create the false shoulder.

On another note, started prepping the stock for bedding last night, finshed up tonight - taped off the recoil lug and the stock where it was needed, removed the trigger and filled the opening with modeling clay, several layers of tape around the barrel to center it/keep the same gap all around, enough tape around "bedding bolts" give the screws plenty of clearance after bedding, sprayed the bbl'd action with One Shot liberally, etc. Mixed up the MarineTex and got it bedded!

Think it's ready to hit the range Saturday! Wind shows to be 2-5mph in the am, so should be a good day to test the accuracy.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like you can expand the neck and fireform to blow out the case and shoulder.

Dave

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RDW

You "can" neck it up but why? it won't headspace so you have to neck it to 308 anyway and go back down. Better to just start with 300 brass and neck until it chambers.

The 7WSM has a lot of potential but is mired in a lack of good brass and good support. If ever, a cartridge was on life support, this is it!

I much prefer the longer neck of the 300 and 270 case but the bean counter killed the 7 by making it the odd duck out so that the 270 couldn't be chambered in it...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good luck with your Coyote. Mine is a .300 WSM, and it shoots great! Particularly with 200 gr Accubonds or 210 gr Berger VLD's over H4350.

[Linked Image]

A little heavy for long hikes in steep country, but I'm not as lean and mean as I once was either. Mine is a good shooting rifle. The Jewell trigger helps.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by RDW

You "can" neck it up but why? it won't headspace so you have to neck it to 308 anyway and go back down. Better to just start with 300 brass and neck until it chambers.

Because he traded me for a 100 Norma 270WSM brass...just asking the question.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam

Well, I've got several boxes of factory Federal ammo to shoot first - wasn't much more than buying Win brass, so I thought I'd do that to see if the Fed brass is any better than the Win.

TX,

I've got several hundred rounds of the factory Federal. The fired brass holds up well for my reloading purposes.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, the bedding turned out nice - action fits nice and tight, no movement. Worked on the trigger - got it down to a crisp 2lbs. I love the old M70 trigger - wish they hadn't changed it. It's more work and takes longer to adjust, but once done it beats the new one hands down IMHO!

Heading to the range in the morning - will post results afterward!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
129 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.