Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BradB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was wondering what scenic roads you guys would suggest for my driving to Ft Nelson. We are going to drive from WI to MT, then take 2 days to drive up to Ft Nelson. My plans are for the two days are to go through Glacier, baniff, Jasper. What roads do you suggest for that part? It will be the 20th and 21st of Sept.
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is only one route through banff/jasper. From jasper to Ft. Nelson you have some options, stay in Alberta [cheaper fuel, less sales taxes] or travel up through British Columbia [more expensive fuel, more taxes, more mountain type roads]. You could go up one way and down the other...it all depends on what your looking for on top of being scenic.

B
BradB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The area is all new to me, I just figured that we would take the scenic way up and a little more relaxing before the hunt starts. On the way back I am sure we will just take the fastest route back to WI. The guy i am going on the hunt with has never been to the mountains so I figured he would really enjoy seeing some great country.(yes i will also) Just looking for any suggestions or ideas

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You wo't have much extra time in those two days and choices are limited....but the drive is nice.

For your return:

Ft Nelson....Dawson Creek....Valleyview .....Edmonton .....Saskatoon ...Regina....
Portal..... Minot,,, Grand Forks if goint to Northern WI or Fargo if going to Southern WI.....a lot of freeways this route and shortest and fastest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BradB
The area is all new to me, I just figured that we would take the scenic way up and a little more relaxing before the hunt starts. On the way back I am sure we will just take the fastest route back to WI. The guy i am going on the hunt with has never been to the mountains so I figured he would really enjoy seeing some great country.(yes i will also) Just looking for any suggestions or ideas

Once you pass through Banff and Jasper there isn't much to compare for scenery...everthing else will be mostly humdrum...rolling hills and stubby trees in Alberta...some nice mountains in BC's Pine Pass...miles and miles and miles of not much different that you saw the last couple of hours. IMO

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Two days from MT to Fort Nelson? You do realize the distance involved there correct? Driving through Jasper and Banff, while scenic, will have you pulling your hair out once you realize how you misjudged the length of time involved, and every time you pass a black bear on the road 37 cars worth of tourists stop in the middle of the highway to take thirty seven thousand pictures.

If you have a place to be, avoid the park, as two days from MT to FN isn't enough time. Do it on the way back if you have to. I've done the drive from FN to the border, and thats 24hrs plus of straight driving if you aren't lucky, with your foot in it when you can.

And check a highway report, as we've had 1000year floods up here lately, and the Pine Pass is just reopened to single lane traffic now.....with significant delays.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was up there last year for my hunt. It's a solid 13 hours with minimum stops and generous throttle from where I live in south central BC. From the border at Grand Forks, BC it's closer to two 12 hour days.

As someone already said, while beautiful, Banff and Jasper will be a zoo this time of year.

If you have two days from the border I would council you to come up from around Grand Forks and go straight up. Plenty of beautiful country and still a long drive in two days.

Check the roads before you come as was mentioned the Pine Pass has been opened and closed a number of times this year due to slides.

Last edited by Westcoaster; 07/13/11. Reason: clarification
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm doing part of that route as we speak, not as much traffic between Prince George and Banff as you would think. Banff to Calgary is a different story of course. Really it's a great drive, very scenic.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
B
BradB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks. I was figuring that the drive from the border to FN would be around 22 hrs. I do realize that does not give much time to get out and do anything and that it would be about 7 hrs longer then then the ND route. I sure am hoping that we have a trailer full of meat, capes, and horns on the way back and don't really want to take the extra time on the way back with that. If Pine Pass is closed how do you go?(I don't know where its at yet). Just trying to break the drive up and get the most scenic drive up we can.
Thanks

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
If you come into Alberta thru Coutts or one of the entries to the west then go west of Lethbridge to hiway 22. Take 22 north until you hit the Trans Canada west of Calgary. 22 is a nice scenic drive and you can make good time on it if you like. Once you hit the Trans Canada head west to Banff. If you were at the border early AM you would likely get to Banff in 6 hours. Banff to Jasper can be slow but in Sept shouldn't be too bad so you should be in Jasper by early evening. If you overnight in Hinton then head up highway 40 which starts just west of Hinton head up to Grande Prairie. Hinton to Grande Prairie is 3 - 4 hours then another 6 or 7 to Ft Nelson. The south half of 40 is fairly scenic and you should see sheep and elk. So yes you get from MT to Ft Nelson in 2 days easily. If you were to go west from Jasper to Prince George then north thru the Pine Pass to Dawson Creek you adding on a lot of miles. Nice drive but it will take a lot longer.

Last edited by bedrock; 07/14/11.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drove from Edmonton to Whitehorse a couple years ago, going through Ft. Nelson. I ended up doing the whole drive in 17.5 hours straight. Didn't seem so bad as it was close to the summer solstice so it was bright out for the entire trip. Then again I put on a lot of miles with work. 85,000 k in the last year on my pickup.

I went Edmonton - Grande Prairie - Ft. St. John - Ft. Nelson - Watson Lake - Whitehorse. In my opinion the drive from Ft. St. John to Ft. Nelson was the most boring drive I've had in a long time. And I grew up in the prairies of Saskatchewan! I'd say plan on going through the Hinton-Jasper-Banff parks on the way home but rip up Hwy 2 from Calgary to Edmonton if you want to make some time getting there. Or go through the parks first and Edmonton-Calgary on the way home.

SS

ETA: The Liard hotsprings just past Ft. Nelson are pretty cool to check out if you have the time.

Last edited by SamSteele; 08/07/11.

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamSteele
.........In my opinion the drive from Ft. St. John to Ft. Nelson was the most boring drive I've had in a long time.........

And, from Ft. Nelson to Watson Lake is the longest 300 miles in existence! crazy

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We made the drive from Banff to Jasper a few years ago and if you do, you gotta stop at Lake Louise and by all means, go for a ride out on the Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia ice field. Quite an experience!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is not a whole of of anything between Fort Nelson and Watson lake too. I did that a few times over the years. I even once did it in Feb. Stop fuel up, check fluids and tires and just drive at a reasonable speed. and in about 7 hours you are done and hot coffee and something to eat is well needed. Now if you never been thru Banff, go and do that, its one of the greatest places on Earth.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Having driven the Alcan some 40-50 times, I look forward to the Ft Nelson to Watson Lake portion......I love that Toad River area despite the crooked road. IMO, Watson lake should be removed from the map....half the gas pumps in town are usually broken down....forget food...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the Ft Nelson to Watson Lake portion, as there's Muncho lake and the bison area north of there.

I agree on Watson lake too, if it wasnt for the scale house (A must stop for me - Permits) I wouldnt stop either.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Having driven the Alcan some 40-50 times, I look forward to the Ft Nelson to Watson Lake portion......I love that Toad River area despite the crooked road. IMO, Watson lake should be removed from the map....half the gas pumps in town are usually broken down....forget food...

It is beautiful, just a very long 300 miles, and you are so right about Watson!

Ted

B
BradB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming, I am looking at all the ideas. I am actually hunting with Gundahoo and will drive up to the Toad River rd area to get to there base camp

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

Several hot springs along the river in that area....locals know where...most stink of sulfer but the minerals attract critters.

I often see a lot of elk in that pasture by the log house and one of the largest mule deer I've ever seen was on one of the poplar hill sides.

Back in 69, I took a good goat just West of there. There sure is a variety of game there as there are also moose, caribou and stone sheep.

B
BradB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will have have a moose, goat, caribou, and wolf tags in my pocket! I am super pumped and just trying to bust butt to get in the best shape I can

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.