Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Why didn't you guys learn to drink beer like normal people?

That may be part of the problem laugh

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that's used a Lee Loader a bit knows the answer to this question

Used a Lee Loader as a kid over 10 seasons and never saw one go off. But then again I never simply put a primer out and whacked it with a hammer either. Judging from the comments here, my childhood prediction as to outcome was right on.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can also break the head off of a strike anywhere match and put it in a fired .22 LR case and seal the end up. You can lay it on an anvil and hit it with a hammer and it will make a noise about like a .22.

If you want more noise, you can take a .38 special case and fill it with match heads, seal the end and hit it with a hammer. For a LOT more noise, you can listen to your Dad telling you how stupid that was, as he drives you to the hospital emergency room to get the brass fragment dug out of your leg.

Anyone ever been talked to disrespectively and loudly by an angry Dad, all the while having him add insults and negative comments about your intellegence, or lack of same?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1-7:
Sounds like the voice of experience.
shocked shocked
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
NO! Not with my Dad...Talking was NOT part of the punishment cycle..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If my leg had not been bleeding pretty bad, I think my Dad would have duplicated your Dad's punishment method.

I guess he learned pretty early that you cannot beat the stupid out of a kid.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I had a primer go off once while pulling a bullet in an RCBS "kinetic" puller puller.

I was pounding it on the concrete floor of my basement.

the primer embedded about 3/8" into the 1" subfloor above me.

wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Talking was a fundamental part of my Dad's punishment cycle. It occured in the pre-arse-whuppin' stage, the arse-whuppin' stage, into the "just for good measure" arse-whuppin' stage, continued in the "in case you ever think about doin' it again" arse-whuppin' stage, and wrapped up with a good loooooong lecture in the post-arse-whuppin' stage.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the stupid invincibility of youth my brothers and I used to find the largest nut we could. We'd then screw a bolt in about halfway through the nut. We'd tear the red part of matches off and fill the other half of the nut with it. Screw on another opposing bolt and tighten it, squeezing the match heads between the bolts until we didn't dare to tighten them any more.
We'd then take the device out to the paved road and throw it down. If it hit right the match heads would explode and the bolts would go flying with incredible force.

We stopped doing this my brother had one of those big bolts nick his ear on it's way to who knows where.
Amazing we lived through childhood.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've had a couple go off while priming cases with the Lee Loader.... nothing but a fright at the noise..... definitely wouldn't out right hammer one... without the influence of the kicken chicken that is.... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We used to shoot off .22 cartridges by balancing them on the muzzle of a pellet gun, held up over our heads, 'til one of us perps held his hand too close and had his fingers lacerated by brass fragments. Cue in on 3 ten year-olds scattering for home. I thought I was ok for a while, until the phone rang...

It's starting to make sense that the old man didn't let me have a .22 for a few years after that.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/15/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used Lee Loaders quite a bit, and had a primer go off in my first one, for the 7.62 Russian, when I was 13. Made a nice noise but didn't even drive the priming rod back out of the tool. No doubt it would have, but the hammer I used kept the rod inside the tool.

Haven't had one go off since, even when decapping cases with live primers. Takes a pretty good whack to make them go bang.

I tend to agree with John Woods (Aussie Gun Writer): Drinking beer is a better use of time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Back in junior high my buddy thought it would be a good idea to try this. One whack with a hammer and the primer went BANG!! The anvil of the primer lodged in his head in his eyebrow. MAN did he bleed. Walked him into his house and had to try to explain to his mom what happened. That was not the end of our escapades however. In high school we built CO2 cartridge bombs. Fill them with gun powder, use a waterproof wick and seal with candle wax. It'll blow a toilet clean out of the floor. Don't ask....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Anybody that's used a Lee Loader a bit knows the answer to this question.....

Chuckle....sure made my mother excited when I was 14 and loading .308s. If you didn't get the case perfectly centered over the primer, BANG. Made me jump the first time. Dad came in, saw how the priming operation worked and noticed how heavy the metal die on the Lee Loader was and quit worrying after that. Mom never did get used to it. I never even felt anything on my hand, the Lee system contained the primer quite well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Contained gases (pressures) can be amazing. 1- 2"x8" stick of Emulsion has approx. 6 million horsepower upon initiation. I wouldn't be messing around with even little things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was about 10 years old and wanted to see what made shotgun shells work so I cut one apart with my pocket knife right where the brass base meets the cardboard. Dumped out the powder, picked out the wad and shot. I lit the powder with a wooden match and watched it burn.... hummmm..nothin to spectacular, kinda neat effect. Had to see what the primer would do so I turned the brass base upside down on the concrete floor in the garage, got a center punch in one hand, centered it on the primer, gave it a wack with a small hammer...ouch!!!!!!!....at the supper table mom asked what happened to my hands..... told her I cornered a big grey squirrel in the garage, when i grabbed ahold it chewed my hands up pretty bad.. told me I was an idiot........

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
An ignited primer has enough force to push a 240 grain cast bullet out of the barrel of a 6 inch S&W 629 44 Mag that was mistakenly �dry balled� (uncharged).

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A .22 LR will go off if you vacuum it up with a vacuum cleaner.

I guess it sort of depends on how the internal parts are made, but on the old upright we had, I know for a fact that it would fire a .22.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bushrat
...at the supper table mom asked what happened to my hands..... told her I cornered a big grey squirrel in the garage, when i grabbed ahold it chewed my hands up pretty bad.. told me I was an idiot........

She was right. Anybody knows better than to corner a grey squirrel.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My "accidental discharges" happened with the. 308 Winchester. My experience mirrors yours exactly. Nothing more than a little ear ringing....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

225 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 28 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.