Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I ran across this a couple of months ago at a local gunshop and its been on my mind. It is a neat little tool for checking cartridge concentricity, it also corrects run-out. I ran across this info on the web: http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/pdf/ri58partial.pdf

If anyone has experience with this particular tool let me know what you think of it, thanks...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of concentricity measuring tools which use anything other than V-blocks to hold the cartridge.
Primarily because the rotating mechanisms have their own tolerances and slop.

Drop me a PM, I may have something which could serve you well.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey nsaqam, I generally use v-blocks when I run into something that is questionable. I ran into a problem with some of my 308 win ammo a while back and had to use my v-blocks and dial indicator to check run-out. My loads were out by .009-.012". Turned out to be an easy fix as I didn't have the seater die adjusted properly blush. I just thought this tool would be easier to throw in a loaded cartridge and check for run-out. I'll keep your offer in mind since I know how to get ahold of you grin. Thanks

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The article was very interesting.

It was written in 1978.

I agree with with nsaqam. I can't see the benefit in using anything other than a simple set of v-blocks and dial indicator. I have an RCBS Casemaster and it works fine for me.

Last edited by fish head; 07/16/11. Reason: sp
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, youz guys are all wet. Just roll the boolits across the floor. If they roll for a good ways, they good. If they stop, throw them away. No need for fancy gizmos. eek

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis
Man, youz guys are all wet. Just roll the boolits across the floor. If they roll for a good ways, they good. If they stop, throw them away. No need for fancy gizmos. eek

Funny laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I bought this gizmo since it's been eating at me (you probably know what that is like blush), with a total cost of $60.00. It's a cool little tool and now I know why I'm always getting very good groups with all of my 30-06's. I spun about 10 to get a good average and they were all right around .001-.0015" TIR (pretty good for just an old RCBS die set). I already knew what my 308's were doing since I was having some accuracy issues with these and corrected it in the "proper" set-up of my seater die blush. They were hovering right around .003" just like the v-blocks told me (before the die adjustment they were in the neighborhood of .009"+). What surprises me though is my 300 wsm ammo. The rifle is amazingly accurate with an occasional flyer and now I know why. Of the 10 I checked there were a few that were out by .006". This gizmo (brown precision little wiggler) lets me correct run-out and it is very simple to use. Now I just have to go to the range and see how the new improved straightened ammo shoots.
I may post some pics too since it is a pretty cool little tool. It's fast and easy to use and hopefully it produces better ammo. We'll see.......

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I believe in making ammo straight if possible. BUT, not all guns are affected by runnout. There was a guy over at "long range hunting" that was working with brass that was in a wildcat chambering and he had formed them with a die from a commercaial casing. He said loaded ammo typically ran with .020" runnout...yes 20k. The horrible result he got while fireforming were consistant 1" groups AT 300 YDS. So, to each his own...ea gun is different.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear your kraky, my 300 wsm was shooting pretty good before and pretty good now with some adjusted bullets. I had to set up at 160 yards today because there was someone already at my gravel pit I usually shoot at and he was already set up at 160 yards. Next time I'll be able to get a better idea as to what the rifle is doing now compared to before. Here's what it did at 160 yards though. I'm thinking it does better now:

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking it's probably better to buy a real good die set that is known for producing real straight ammo to begin with, but this gizmo (and others like it) helps to verify things a little.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I'm not a fan of concentricity measuring tools which use anything other than V-blocks to hold the cartridge.
Primarily because the rotating mechanisms have their own tolerances and slop.

Drop me a PM, I may have something which could serve you well.

That's very true and the first thing I checked before I bought this thing. Very easy to check since the indicator is right there. The spindle runs dead true, not even a flicker at any point. I was very impressed with the set-up so I decided to give it a try. Thanks for your offer though, but this one has been in the back of my mind for a couple of months now and I've got to do whatever it takes to up my game against the savage rifle shooters at my local club grin.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
R
I've got one for sale if anyone is looking!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.