24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the info to order the factory letter is in the top post called "Misc Good Info" Scroll down and you will find it.

Andrew
BP-B2

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So I called my dad this afternoon and talked rifles with him for a while.

He said, "My grandfather did buy it new and I may have the receipt still, and am pretty sure I've got the catalog he ordered it from."

Nice. smile So my great grandfather did buy it new.
(And built 1/2 of the house I grew up in, I owe him a big thank you. Too bad I never met him.)

He went on to add, "I think he paid 19 dollars for that rifle. It was 2 dollars extra for the half & half barrel."

I asked about him saying it wasn't that great of a rifle and he says, "Oh no, it's a nice gun. It just doesn't shoot quite as nicely as it did when I was a boy.[he was born in '37] That's the one with the barrel all pitted isn't it?"

It is. I think I'll build myself a steady rest and a tripod and see how it will do. I've only put 5 rounds through it the day he gave it to me a few years ago.

Time to go shooting soon.

I had him check the .22 Hornet. It's a Savage Model 23D, s.n. 211.xxx. Bolt action.

Same deal on that rifle, my great grandfather bought it new as well, then gave it to my granddad, who gave it to my dad. who won't let me have it. [I didn't ask]

I had a moment of panic when he said he couldn't find it in his closet.

"Oh yeah, it's the last rifle I shot the other day. I left it by the bedroom window."

"Coyotes?", I said.

"Yeah."

"You get him?"

"Nah, I just scared him off."

"On purpose?"

"Yeah." [his tone reminded me of a petulant teenager, think "Well du-uh!"]

Later he asks, "Why you asking about guns all the sudden? You're not gonna sell it are you? I'll kick your ass if you do"

I told him, "Don't worry I'll let your grand kids fight over it one day." [Girl's 4, boy's 6 mo's, so I have a few years to shoot it myself]

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he still has a 1900, 1901, 1902 catalog... its very likely the catalog is actually worth more than the gun!!!! Seriously!

I would scrub that barrel out as well as you can and give it a shot, it probably is not going to shoot MOA but it might still have life in it.

The 23D is a desirable gun as well. I personally don't chase them around but mostly b/c I am a lefty but I know the guys say the D can be a harder model to find. Sounds like GGndpa has good taste.

Congrats

Andrew
B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Wow. I've not paid much attention to guns and stuff for a while.

Here's one catalog he gave me with the rifle.

Remington 1902. It's mint.

BTW the Winchester 25-20 is a Model 92.

So is old ammo worth saving too, or fire away?

I've got a couple of old boxes of Western Super X Silvertip 30-30 win. 170g

Attached Images
0423110339aw.jpg (26.49 KB, 306 downloads)
0423110341w.jpg (26.65 KB, 256 downloads)

-Brian-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, that Remington catalogue looks like came from the printer yesterday.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B2

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just a quick update, I just put the letter in the mail to Mr. Callahan to get this rifle "lettered" by him. I can't wait to see what he says.

Last edited by blynyrd; 07/18/11.

-Brian-
B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I got my letter the other day. Here it is.

So I still don't know if my great grandfather bought it new or not.

I have learned that Ralph (my ggf, pictured) was a carpenter for the D&H railroad before he bought our farm, from his sister in law, in 1920. And that he, at least once, traveled out west, when this picture was taken in Los Angeles. He was born in 1880 so this trip must have occurred somewhere around the turn of the century.

I can't help but wonder if there's a chance he picked up this 1899C on that trip, but it seems like it will be hard to determine.

I've been trying to find out what I can about Simmon's Hardware in St. Louis and have learned that they were a large retailer back in the day, but so far I can find no links that may lead to their old sales records.

Anyhow, here's another letter on another fine old rifle to add to the (impressive) knowledge base you all have here.

Attached Images
Savage 1899 letter 1a.jpg (86.39 KB, 604 downloads)
0829112035.jpg (92.52 KB, 190 downloads)

-Brian-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got guns listed to Simmons as well and I live in Canada. I believe Simmons was an outlet or something and that the guns were shipped there and from there out to retailers. Just to many guns are listed to them and i doubt that many people drove or took a horse all across North America to buy a Savage from them.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Simmons Hardware: "The company is wholesale and retail dealer in hardware, cutlery, sporting goods, harness, etc. and also manufacturers of harness, saddlery, athletic goods, pocket cutlery, etc."

Looks to have been a very large company, saw mention of offices in New York, Philadelphia, Minneapolis. Might have received all goods at their main warehouse in St. Louis and then sent them off to side offices elsewhere.

Thanks for the info on the letter!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know Joe. St. Louis was a BIG city and a thriving metropolis at the turn of the century. They hosted the World's Fair in 1904. It was still the gateway to the west. Simon's may have been filling orders for shops further west but I would not be surprised if they were selling them in St. Louis. (maybe to travelers headed west)

Simon's does not show up as often as a few others from what I can recall... E.K. Tyrons (sp??) and what was that shop out west that stamped their name on the bottom of every barrel. I have seen a few pages of ledger and they seem to show up a lot.

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian, thank for posting the letter.

I noticed that the elevator in the rear sight of your rifle is in backwards. You might want to correct that so it doesn't come out and get lost. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

B
blynyrd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rick99
Brian, thank for posting the letter.

I noticed that the elevator in the rear sight of your rifle is in backwards. You might want to correct that so it doesn't come out and get lost. smile

You noticed that, too. I saw it in the pictures and fixed it after I took them, thanks.

While we're at it here's a little eye candy. I was down at dad's place all week helping him after his hip replacement surgery and asked if I could play with his guns.

[Linked Image]
Pic 1, top to bottom:

Savage 23D, .22 Hornet (This has been my favorite rifle since I was old enough to shoot, and the pic doesn't do it justice it's in terrific shape)

Henry Repeating Arms H001v "Varmint Express", .17HMR (His newest acquisition, nice little rifle)

Winchester 74, .22LR (My favorite squirrel rifle while growing up on the farm.)

[Linked Image]
Pic 2, top to bottom

Winchester '92 SRC, .25-20 WCF (Beautiful piece of history, unfortunately the bore is wore slap out.)

Savage 775A, 12G. (Evidently my family likes Savages)

Remington Model 24, .22S (with Lyman tang site cool)

Last edited by blynyrd; 09/05/11.

-Brian-
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.