-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up an Interarms Mark X the other day just for the action. Want to build a .376 Steyr on it. Any quirks with the cartridge in a standard Mauser action? I realize the bolt face will have to be altered a bit but can I expect any feeding issues or should it feed ok in the '06 action? Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanx

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have wanted to build one of these also. However, I am waiting to do this until I can accumulate enough brass. I had a back order with Midway for most of last year...now they say no back orders on their site.

If this changes, I will use Gary Styles over in Homer, PA. He has built them for other customers in the past. Gary told me that it works fine in Mausers. My donor is an M70, though. I forget what he told me about the bolt face.

My local gunshop told me that Hornady does not make the ammo anymore. I do not know if this is true. Now it looks like the brass has followed suit.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hornady still has it listed on its website. I found at least 8 online dealers selling ammo.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, Hornady lists 50 count brass and has updated the suggested retail price, but where can you buy it now? And when will they actually make some?

So far, I have been able to buy some brass from guys on GunBroker. There is also some ammo for sale on GunBroker and GunsAmerica. I am not interested in loaded ammo, but others may be.

The new Midway expected date currently is 9/22/2011, but that new date is the third change this year already. The previous dates were in February and May. I have been watching! Note that Midway does not list 376 Steyr ammo even though they carry some obscure wildcats.

I think, but do not know for sure, that the ammo listed by the various sellers online is not of recent manufacture. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me believe that the stuff will be harder to find as the years go by.

My caution to the original poster is to secure the brass before building the rifle. That way, if no more is produced, the rifle will not turn into a wall-hanger. That is my plan, anyway.

I have also been accumulating 9.5x57/375 Rimless brass. At least with this cartridge, a person could make brass from one of the 57mm cases or one of the 30-06 based cases. Not so with the 376 Steyr.

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
SCGN,

The .376 Steyr is based on the 9X64 case, and flocks of Mausers have been built in Europe for that cartridge. I acquired an intermediate length commercial Mauser action to build a .376 Steyr rifle after I had shot my Steyr ProHunter in Africa. Then Ruger complicated things by bringing out the .375 Ruger, and I let the other .375s go after shooting the Ruger a bit in their Hawkeye African. I still have the commercial Mauser.

I have read reports of others building .376 rifles on Mauser and other actions, and those folks did not mention issues. Of course you have to pay attention to the case head diameter, and also the stack angles in the magazine for feeding.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I built 2 376 Styers on Mauser Actions. One a 21" brl Fn large ring and one an FN intermediate action 19" brl.Altering the bolt face was all that was required ,both feed and function well.Both are accurate and not bad on the shoulder.
Chuc

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When the Steyr first came out, I wanted one badly built on a Mauser action - thought it would be the ticket for bears. I "think" a guy could build a Steyr in a suitably handy package and have a heck of a rifle. I was thinking a 350 RM on steroids and bigger bullets.

I'm curious what velocities guys are getting with the 270 Hornady.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I shot this eland with the 270 Hornady .376 Steyr factory ammo. I never did chronograph it, so I don't know the velocity. This bullet is a bit soft if you shoot it into really heavy animals or bones...jim

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

Is your Steyr much different in on-game performance than the H+H variety?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I always used the 300 gr Nosler Partition or Swift on game with the H&H (plus the Trophy Bonded Solid), so no direct comparison. Same bullet at same velocity would of course be no different. I liked the .376 Steyr a lot.

I let all the other .375s go down the road after the .375 Ruger Hawkeye African arrived...jim

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That is how I am leaning, to let the others go.

But I still want to build a 9.5x57, just to have one.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 83mvp, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.