Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Curious about this bullet. May try to load it in my .240 Weatherby. Is it a hunting bullet or a target bullet?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At warp speeds, mv...need to back off aways to get some penetration, avoid bone, and go for broadside between ribs and take out lungs on deer sized game, but varmints, have at it.

In a 6BR, I dropped a deer right at 400 yds, double lunged exited like a golf ball size, 2850 mv.

If you shoot under 2-300 yds, avoid bone, unless its head or necks. I know it did fine on one head shot under 50 yds wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Varmint-Target ! Pretty frangible for Big Game , especially at 240 Wetherby velocity ! You will get other opinions though . There's a gang on here that would hunt Packaderms with a Pellet Gun ! They'll be along shortly .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
Varmint-Target ! Pretty frangible for Big Game , especially at 240 Wetherby velocity ! You will get other opinions though . There's a gang on here that would hunt Packaderms with a Pellet Gun ! They'll be along shortly .

How many animals have you shot with a 6mm 105 A-Max?

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Oakster
Curious about this bullet. May try to load it in my .240 Weatherby. Is it a hunting bullet or a target bullet?

The A-Max bullet are very frangile and at traditional hunting ranges will blown up and give limitted penetration. At 660 yards on Deerthe 105 A-Max will exit with chest cavity hits, this I have seen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why not look at the 105gr. GMX bullet? It is designed for big game, and can be run up to hyper velocities.

Enough already, just shoot it!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 6mm-284 (similar case capacity to your 240 Weatherby) that the 105gr A-Max will blow-up 100% of the time and never make it to target. It is a 3 groove barrel issue that you wont have with your Weatherby but still shows just how frangible this bullet is......IMHO dont use on big game.
Dont know what your barrel twist is but the Berger 95gr-105gr VLD or the 107gr SMK are far better choices.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by lhead71
Why not look at the 105gr. GMX bullet? It is designed for big game, and can be run up to hyper velocities.

Don't think they make a 105 gmx...... Only 6mm gmx I've seen is 80gr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mfr's site says it is a target bullet and not recommended for medium to large game. Similar cautions on Sierra's site, for their Match King bullets, probably same-same on other mfr's sites for their respective match bullets?

But what the heck, why would the manufacturer have any idea about such things, eh? 'O)

Reckon I could blow the lungs outta deer with varmint bullets, if I wanted to? But since I've had fairly good results doing that same thing with bullets advertised as actual hunting bullets, why bother?

Chalk it up to an overly-regulated childhood, most likely being responsible for such lack of daring and experimentation.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm reading this with much interest, as I'm now starting to work up .240 Wby loads for a new project. My thinking is tougher bullets due to hyper velocity. The 80-95 gr. bullets seem to be the ones most used, and at 3,300-3,600 fps. Velocity drops with the heavier 100+ gr. bullets but the B.C. increases. My use will be deer and antelope, maybe a hog or 'yote here or there. I'm taking notes...

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at 243 win speeds the amax makes a big mess out of a woodchuck.
not a big game bullet.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might give the 95gr Btip a whirl, with that set up? They appear to work well on whitetails from a 6mm Rem.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what i know about the amax is that the 30 cal 168 is deadly. i would think that the 6mm, in the right spot, would be as effective.

providing the "right spot" contains the CNS.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Rman

R.

I've shot as many as anybody else that agrees it's not a Big Game Bullet ! And you ? How about those Bruins ?

Last edited by oneoldsap; 07/20/11.

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what you're saying is that everybody who says it's not a big game bullet has actually formed their opinions from killing zero animals with it?

I wouldn't bet against Rman. If he says the 105 AM will kill, it's because he's seen it do exactly that. More than a few times.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rman

R.

I've shot as many as anybody else that agrees it's not a Big Game Bullet ! And you ? How about those Bruins ?

Out of 14 responses to the OP's question, maybe three have actually shot the bullet in question at a deer, and can make an informed comment on its performance? Everyone else, including yourself, is just guessing.
I can guarantee, I have shot more deer with an A-max bullet in a single season, than you ever have or ever will.
As far as the Bruins, I'm not really sure what they have to do with a bullet conversation? Some kind of lame attempt at credibility?
Keep guessing , with your head in the sand, and leave bullet talk to those that have shot them.

R.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
So what you're saying is that everybody who says it's not a big game bullet has actually formed their opinions from killing zero animals with it?

I wouldn't bet against Rman. If he says the 105 AM will kill, it's because he's seen it do exactly that. More than a few times.

Start talking about distances, impact locations, and performance. People's world's would get turned upside down.

R.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
One of my rifles took 4 bucks last year with an Amax, ranges 30-250yds. I'd not be afraid to use an amax in any hunting situation. But, they are bombs, but so are many other bullets.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not to attempt chicken-egg debates...
but the hornady A-MAX is the bullet used in the TAP ammo.
Now i dont know about the deer in your part of the world, but, i have yet to encounter and one armed with a hostage behind an car door.
Gel AFTER barrier[Linked Image]
( from CAT5 @ SNipers hide..."400 yds 105 amax .243 exit wound"
[Linked Image]
The A-Max is bassicly a ballistic tip w/ a slightly heavier jacket and base. So anyone who doubts that a ballistic tip is effective on deer might want to call Nosler instead of showing thier a$$ here.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.