-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark, might want to wait until after Aug 6th to try this out. Be a shame to show up with two black eyes grin

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use electric fences designed for horses around everything around here. Keeps my chickens out of the garden, dogs too. Will send a dog running if he bumps a wet nose, but sure won't kill him. Never seen a chicken get shocked either, but they must have been because they won't go near the garden when the fence is up, and they could easily step or fly over it.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Top of the line in-ground containment systems have "run-through" preventers. They work! Or perhaps your dog has a higher stubborn/pain tolerance level than mine does.

My Lab found out about the run-thru thing when I up-graded from a Gen 1 to the latest and best Gen 3 Innoko as of 7 years ago. He tried to run thru the fence as he'd been doing to the early model and it nailed him good as I had it cranked up to the highest level. It probably helped that he then turned and raced right up the wire while it nailed him hard several more times, and he dodged back into the yard just as the safety cut-off kicked in. That dog was TRAINED! smile

Of course, if it isn't on in the house, or the collar battery isn't charged, he's off "visiting" all over the neighborhood. It is funny to watch him creep up to the exact distance from the boundry that he knows the collar should beep at him, then either back up, or "Zip" - he's off!

He's also learned to scrunch his neck up to check if he is wearing a battery pack collar if I have the remote control for the training collar in hand... He hasn't learned (yet) to distinguish between the yard collar and the training collar....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No, it won't kill a cat. They probably won't even touch it, depending upon how close to the ground it is.

The only electric fence I've ever seen kill an animal was an old farmer around here who decided he didn't want to spend the money for an electric fence controller and somehow afro-engineered the fence directly into the 110V house supply. The next day he had one of his cows dead.

No electric fence controller out there pushes enough current to kill an animal the size of a housecat, some will make them think they're dying though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt it, but it will add much speed to it's movement. I have seen one of the daughters cats do the same exact thing as the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DqqPto9lw

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeez......you have a cross bred coyote.......she has 4 cats........either one of you sign a pre-nup?

Nothing like living on the edge.......................................................................of divorce.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
An electric fence won't kill a cat.

No matter how hard you try...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aw for cryin' out loud,....yer' PARENTS had one on yer' CRIB.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
And, your point is?

wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No. They run like 9000 volts, but essentially no amps. One gets a jolt, but there's not enough amps to cook anything in ones system.

Might actually be some brief entertainment.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
in a just world, it would kill a cat. laugh

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Just be sure to wet the ground real good before they get into it.
It will make for a lively show,but it won't kill them.

And shave their tails.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ever you do, don't make the fence out of Christmas tree lights!

(No cats were actually harmed in the making or posting of this video)

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, but You couldn't throw'em anywhere near it once they've been bit grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Growing up on the farm we had a hot fencer. Had a crazy cow one time that got across it, shocked her and knocked her to the ground. When she landed, it grounded out and she was pok until she stood up and the wire went with her, knocked her down again. Dad had to drop the wire from the insulator to keep the wire from chasing her.

Same fencer was used around the sweetcorn patch tpo keep coons out. Those that say it wpont kill an animal are wrong. The lowest wire got knocked off insulators, we found it with several thousand dead grasshoppers and a big black snake dead.

Another time found a coon hung up with a paw on the barbed wire, he was definitely dead.

Lastly was a red tailed hawk, my guess is it landed on post with one foot and wire with the other, somehow hanging it up. I found it hanging from the wire.

Just touching will be ok, but hung up is dead fluffy. Had a bird dog that wouldn't go near the garden for his final 4 years of life after bumping into the wire

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Never seen a chicken get shocked either, but they must have been ...

electric fence that keeps hogs in and bears out won't kill a chicken. wink

Or a cat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to have a fencer for horses but when we got some goats, it wouldn't do the job. They just ignored the shock. I have one now that puts out between 11 & 12K volts. THAT gets their attention.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Keep the cats inside. I like cats and indoor cats live longer and have much fewer health problems than outdoor cats.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They spend most of thier time inside, happily. But they love to go out and play big bad huntercat for a few hours each day.

you sir, are surmising that having them live a long time is, to me, a GOOD thing. Of this I am not entirely sure.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.