OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wife drew 270-50 in montana, i am 600 miles east of there,,,,
now what, lots of phone and internet scouting for know,,,,
any one with suggestions,,,,

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No suggestions for ya but tell her congrats. I didnt draw the deer permit i put in for. Still waiting on antelope and elk.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I checked my stuff on-line..nothing yet....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You have to draw even as a resident?

For all big game?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only for special permit areas/species - generally much better odds at a big one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of my results are up, all say pending still.

1 and done
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
300stw: If you and the lucky Mrs. 300 stw have motorcycles or ATV's then be sure and check out this somewhat easy to get to "haunt" of MONSTER Mule Deer Bucks there in Area 270!
I have also seen Elk, Mt. Goats, Bear and Bighorn Sheep in this area.
In fact one afternoon my archery Elk Hunting partner and I watched 4 MONSTER Mule Deer Bucks in a fantastic basin just below us.
We gave up Hunting Elk completely right then to try and figure a way to get at these 4 TROPHY Mulies!
The 4 Bucks fed until late afternoon and then travelled to a football field sized mini mountain in the bottom of this basin - where they bedded down in a circle and one Buck faced in each of four different directions!
There was NO way for us to approach their position to within bow range!
Thats probably how and why they attained the age (and size!) they had.
We watched them until sundown and returned to our pack tent to re-group for the next mornings Hunt.
Alas in the morning we awoke to 10 inches of early October snow and we had to pack up and then walk our Trail 90 Hondas much of the way back down to the trailhead and our truck.
I have seen MANY good Mule Deer Bucks in this area on other Hunts but none as impressive as the four "dudes" we saw that afternoon.
Now I am going to tell you where they were.
On the Bitterroot Forest Service map I "found" in my map desk the basin in question is just west of the ridgeline that is immediately above three lakes that USED TO BE named Faith, Hope and Charity!
About 10 years ago the State of Montana and the Forest Service changed the names of these lakes for some UNKNOWN reason - and I have NOT found, as yet, my newer Bitterroot National Forest map with the "new" (more politically correct???) names of these lakes on them.
When I find the new map I will relay the new names to you.
You get to this wonderful basin by driving to Sula, Montana which is on Montana Highway 93 then at Sula turn east on the East Fork Road and travel approximately 12 miles to Forest Service Road #726 - take road #726 for approximately 4 miles to the Trailhead of Trail #39.
Park there and travel by foot or by ATV approximately 4 1/2 miles to the high ridge with a plateau just S/W of the ridgeline overlooking Faith, Hope and Charity Lakes.
The Forest service Trail #421 actually completes a 2 mile "loop" from and back onto Trail #39 in the area of Faith, Hope and Charity Lakes.
Hunt the basin below and west of this ridge for BIG Mule Deer.
By the way my "old" map shows one lake just to the north of Faith, Hope and Charity named Shadow Lake.
And, my "old" map shows another lake just to the southeast of Faith, Hope and Charity Lakes named Fish Lake.
So you will be able to "vector yourself in" on the area I am recommending to you by finding Shadow Lake and Fish Lake.
I am sure the Forest Service has not changed the names of Shadow Lake and Fish Lake.
I very rarely recommend a specific area (basin) for others to Hunt but I am rather sure you and the Mrs. WILL be in amongst some dandy Mule Deer once you get to this area!
Let me know if I can be of any more assistance for scouting or conducting your Hunt.
This area I am recommending is almost certain to be devoid of Buck Mule Deer by the onset of the rut (November 7th or so) due to rut migration and might be knee deep in snow by then as well.
Best of luck to you and the Mrs. on the upcoming season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300stw
wife drew 270-50 in montana, i am 600 miles east of there,,,,
now what, lots of phone and internet scouting for know,,,,
any one with suggestions,,,,

I've been putting in for that hunt since I was 12. Good on yer wife.

Rye Creek is a pumpkin patch during the general season, but since they're all hunting elk or whitetail hunting, they may let you in on where the big mulies are. If there is plenty of snow, than I would concentrate on some of the BMAs in the area or lowland national forest, especially in the E Fork Drainage. You can always stop and knock on doors too. There's a reason that hunt has less than 1% odds.

Robbin's Gultch has held some big bucks too.

It's Idaho's Bennet Hills or Owyhee hunt equivalent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.