24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang hard to remember, I'd guess the first was in '72 or so in Spfd. MO, the Guess Who (no don't guess, that was their damned name) they had a hit Magic Bus IIRC

but made up for my slow start, have seen a bunch of good ones particularly when I worked for WEA (Warner, Electra, Atlantic) and lived in Chicago

here goes, not in order just as I recall

Frampton,

Black Oak Arkansas

Molly Hatchet,

Zeppelin, twice

Pink Floyd, at Soldier Field

Ted Nugent at the Amphitheater

Tom Waits

Genesis, when they had Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

Roxy Music

Cheap Trick

oh god this is too hard, there's more, but yeah I got to go to some good gigs.

even setup rooms for some of the bands, in fact someone mentioned Elvin Bishop and those guys were outa control with their demands, wanted girls and uncut cocaine, told em if I knew how to score those anytime i wanted i sure wouldn't be babysittin rock stars

oh chit almost forgot Lou Reed, but Ian Drury and the Blockheads opened for ole Lou and stole the freaking show, they were incredible

oh the Tubes

f this, too long ago and too many of them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
dang hard to remember, I'd guess the first was in '72 or so in Spfd. MO, the Guess Who (no don't guess, that was their damned name) they had a hit Magic Bus IIRC

Umm, Magic Bus is a 'The Who' tune. 'The Guess Who' was a different band altogether. But either way, apparently you had a good time. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you sure Leighton, I don't remember the Who (a classic band that I'm a big fan of and never got to see live) doing magic bus

now I gotta go google ya bastage! my money says you're settin there havin a libation thinking "I'll keep that Alaskan redneck busy for a few minutes"

be right back, oh and take this you ornery Bostonian, Animals was the Pink Floyd show i saw as Soldier Field, giant pig floating through the air, I thought at the time they should have water come out where his whizzer woulda been to cool the crowd down!

but going back and reading the thread, I did miss some good ones and yes George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers put on a hell of a show

saw

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
geez Leighton you're right as rain, maybe they did a cover of Magic Bus that night, who knows or maybe I got confused with no sugar tonight or No time

I'm pretty sure that night was perhaps my first experience with herbs

oh and Leighton at Pink Floyd I was sittin on the light and sound stage framework right in the middle of Soldier Field, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it, don't give it another thought (grin)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"WHO"

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Jerry Lee Lewis - Portales NM - 1972 (big disappointment)
Loretta Lynn - Fort Leonardwood MO - 1973 (exceptional)
Charlie Pride - Albuquerque NM - 1974 (great show)
Loretta Lynn - Albuquerque NM - 1975 (good show)
Chrystal Gayle (sp?) - Albuquerque NM - 1975 (absolutely LOVED that show - as she was singing at the Palomino Club, and Loretta - her sister - was entertaining at the state fair! Ms Gayle's show was every bit as good, and a lot more intimate - fewer people, closer to the performer, etc. AND she is beautiful!)
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Three Dog Night at the old Anchorage Sports Arena back in the early seventies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
first concert was the Eagles, in 79,
the second was Kansas,with Loverboy as opener,1981.
George Thorogood,1989
Last concert I went to,was Pink Floyd,the division bell.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not the first, but BIG; Hendrix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to see James Taylor when I was in college in the mid-1970's. That was the only concert I had ever been to until my wife started hauling me and the kids to Walnut Creek in Raleigh in the 1990's; we saw Reba, Allen Jackson, Garth Brooks, Tanya Tucker - cannot remember them all, but we must have gone to five or six concerts over a four to five year period.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Saw Donnie Osmund and his brothers back in early 70's...mom bought tickets for thr family I was 6 yrs old and rebelled against going but at 6 yrs old my weight didn't pull much...good part was the Grass Roots opened for them
1st real concert I saw on my own was REO Speedwagon in 80

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
Pink Floyd, 1975 in Pittsburgh...

You suck. Animals?

Don't think I suck, more of an azzhole I reckon (;->)

It was 20.Jun.1975, about a month before my dad passed away.

They played DSOTM (giant video screen behind band and at the appropriate moment a VERY, very large model plane on a cable from above the upper deck, behind home plate in 3 rivers stadium to the stage in deep center field, crashed behind the band and exploded in sparks and fireworks) and they also had the first playing of songs from Wish You Were Here album that came out in Sept '75, along with some Meddle and quite a bit more....

And, yes it was awesome!

Play list as per wiki:
Part one
"Raving and Drooling" (early version of "Sheep")
"You Gotta Be Crazy" (early version of "Dogs")
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)"
"Have a Cigar"
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)"
Part two
The Dark Side of the Moon (entire album)
Encore
"Echoes"

I had skipped going to a ton of all the really big bands of the day as I wanted "Floyd" for my first experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first was Grand Funk Railroad in the spring of 1972 in Emporia, KS. Never thought much of their albums but they were a great live band.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kingsmen (Louie, Louie). 1965 at a college venue. CSN, several times, Arlo Guthrie about 1970, college venue.

Long before that, lots of Motown and other groups at Hershey Park summer concerts in the early 60s, sponsored by a local radio station. Four Tops, Shirelles, Martha and The Vandellas, etc.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Growing up in northern BC did not give me a lot of concert going opportunities; but, my first concert was in Prince George, BC. It would have been 1985 or �86 and I saw a Cdn. hairband named Helix. My cousin talked me into smoking BC bud for the first time as well - show was OK. Next one was Honeymoon Suite in 1988, which my then girlfriend talked me into going to.

Going to university in Toronto, then living in Vancouver let me see a lot of concerts, some of which are:

Rolling Stones � Steel Wheels in �89.
54/40
Prince � scenery was simply amazing, seemed like 80 % women at the show. He put on a great show as well.
Ministry
Allanis Morisette (free tickets).
The Tragically Hip
Pearl Jam with Foo Fighters opener.
Beastie Boys
AC/DC
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Pixies

Would like to see Rush in concert some day. I play around with drums a bit and Neil Peart is a rock percussion god.

Cheers,

Rob

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I went to the North Dakota Jam in June of '78. I was 13.

Nazareth headlined.

ARS

Head East

Blue Oyster Cult

Bob Welch

Couple of others I can't recall anymore because I'm old...

I was blown away, especially by Nazareth. Hard rock and that dude could really sing. They were peaking right at that time.
"NOW YO' MESSIN' WITH A...A SUNAVABITCH"! lol

Good times.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 07/29/11.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I* think my second was the Tennessee Jam,..in the football stadium at the University of Tennesse at Martin.

,..Had Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop and Charlie Daniels there,.some others who escape me now due to the magic of mass quantities of THC.

4 of us headed down there in a friends 1968 Malibu SS. Nobody had any papers so we stopped in this little mom & pop store in Lovelaceville, Kentucky to buy some.

All they had was "Bugle" brand. I was the only one who could roll with them due to the fact that they had no gum adhesive,...but we managed.

I remember trying to rent a hotel room in Martin, Tennessee,...walk in,..barefoot,..hair all draped down around my shoulders,...eyes half open and bloodshot.

Wouldn't be 3 fuggin' cars in the parking lot,..and the guy behind the desk would take one look at me and say,.."We full".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Motley Crue / Guns N Roses 1987 Clearwater beach Fla

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Elvin Bishop was singin' this stuff back then.

If you plugged his 8 track in when you were parkin' with ya girl you'd get some.

So naturally we were all big fans.

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNUrYyGI7A[/video]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I lived in San Antonio,the Grand Ole Opre would have a show once every 3 months,I got to see all of the old GREATS,CHARLIE PRIDE, MERLE HAGGARD,WAYLON JENNINGS,Ray Price,Statler Brothers,Johnny Cash,Ernest Tubbs and to many more to list.
I saw the Animals,The Turtles,Johnny and Edgar Winter,Rick Derringer,Chicago,Neil Sadaka,Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young and more I just can't think of there names.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.