Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
my opinion of the Optima has nothing to do with me getting free stuff from cva to test and try out.

Ive owned both the omega and now 2 optimas. Optima hands down in my book is the winner for me.

Omega down falls:
Open sights wouldnt adjust no where near enough for me to make use of them.
Hard to prime with my scope on, and even a pain in the butt with the scope off i felt. One reason i got rid of my winchester apex " that's a cva for the record" as well.
Tiny trigger guard which makes shooting with gloves a chore, a safety issue IMO.
Poor reputation of shooting conicals " conicals only in my state"
Trigger pull of around 3.5lbs
Stock comb set up for scopes rather than open sight.

Been shooting cva's since 1999 " late 99" and a great majority of other brands from knight, lyman, traditions, heck even an ol belgium flintlock. The CVA Suited me the best. Could i get by with other brands? Yes, but why change when something has been working for the past 12-13 years.

That certainly is a nice KP1 with that stock, very cherry in fact. I read a review though that the muzzle loader set up is a dirty set up though. Knight still hasnt figured out when they are going to start selling guns, especially the Mountaineer.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
my opinion of the Optima has nothing to do with me getting free stuff from cva to test and try out.

Ive owned both the omega and now 2 optimas. Optima hands down in my book is the winner for me.

Omega down falls:
Open sights wouldnt adjust no where near enough for me to make use of them.
Hard to prime with my scope on, and even a pain in the butt with the scope off i felt. One reason i got rid of my winchester apex " that's a cva for the record" as well.
Tiny trigger guard which makes shooting with gloves a chore, a safety issue IMO.
Poor reputation of shooting conicals " conicals only in my state"
Trigger pull of around 3.5lbs
Stock comb set up for scopes rather than open sight.

Been shooting cva's since 1999 " late 99" and a great majority of other brands from knight, lyman, traditions, heck even an ol belgium flintlock. The CVA Suited me the best. Could i get by with other brands? Yes, but why change when something has been working for the past 12-13 years.

That certainly is a nice KP1 with that stock, very cherry in fact. I read a review though that the muzzle loader set up is a dirty set up though. Knight still hasnt figured out when they are going to start selling guns, especially the Mountaineer.
I think it's really a personal preference as it seems like different guns fit different people.

That being said, I've never gotten to chance to shoot an Omega with open sights, nor has anyone I know. All of them have put scopes on it right away, and I guess I just assumed that's what the OP was going to do. So I can't comment on the open sights of the Omega. It does seem to be set up for a scope.

I've also never shot conicals out of either, as we don't have to shoot them here, so that may be something else to look into.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only reason I would choose the Omega is:Made in the U.S.A.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i can put a turd in a box and mark it made in the USA. You still in the market to buy hawken? laugh

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
accuracy wise, both are equal. The CVA however will do the best out of the group when it comes to shooting conicals.

Open sights on the Optima are also another thumbs up. My omega i had to squish my face down on the stock. Still ended up shooting 8" high at 50 yards with the sight bottomed out. Figured for the price of the gun i shouldnt have to spend another $40-$50 for open sights that offered more adjustment.

+1000 but the sound effects on the TCARMS site are so much cooler and would make me decide on an Omega. grin

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yeah i do like their effects. Almost fried my keyboard when i went there and a loud boom went off. A fried keyboard and clean underwear darn near.

But those effects also eat up my bandwidth! Traditions website is pretty darn nice as well.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
TC Omega. This is a well built and proven muzzy. Mine has been great and most guys I know shoot them or another TC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
of those 2 i'd go with the cva ,easier to clean,easier to prime. nothing wrong with either gun except to me the design of the omega is alittle out dated compared to the break open guns.

forget both and buy a triumph,i know where you can buy a new in box triumph with weathershield for 325.00 plus shipping.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't speak to the Optima... no experience.
But I have been very happy with my Omega, and would buy it again without hesitation.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I compared my Omega to an Optima on the range and the Omega was much more accurate. The Optima sort of looked cheap in comparison as well. Small sample size, but I'd go Omega again over the CVA any day.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
or you didnt take the time to develop a load the optima liked..

250gr Powerbelt Aerolite, 100gr blackhorn209 3 shots @ 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bigblock. You are right about the trigger guard on the Omega..it is "too" small. I want to see someone beat the group you shot with that Optima. My Apex does those groups on occasion as well. I think I will hunt with it this year and then sell it the barrel is about to explode anyday. I will shoot it sparingly. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
as does our Apex. Except it prefers the 295gr powerbelts. Have to try the 250 thors in it later on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Took enough time for me to know it was a dud MLer. The thing wouldn't even shoot PBs worth a hoot with t7 or Bh209. My Omega shoots damn near everything I've stuffed in it quite well.

One is hardly a sample size, but the cheap look of the rifle was enough to turn me away. Everyone has their opinions.

Comparing a CVA to a TC is sort of like comparing a Savage to a M70 IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
campairing a savage to a m70. in most cases the savage wins

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
oh the Optima's will shoot. Just gotta know what you are doing wink

Dont git yer finger stuck in that tiny omega trigger guard.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Took enough time for me to know it was a dud MLer. The thing wouldn't even shoot PBs worth a hoot with t7 or Bh209. My Omega shoots damn near everything I've stuffed in it quite well.

One is hardly a sample size, but the cheap look of the rifle was enough to turn me away. Everyone has their opinions.

Comparing a CVA to a TC is sort of like comparing a Savage to a M70 IMO.

Not quite my friend. I will put the fit and finish and design of my Apex against any Encore Endeavor/Prohunter made right now. I know I sold an Endeavor and bought the Apex. Both shoot equally well which is exceptional but the only gripe I can find on the Apex is the weight and that is about it. I have owned exactly 2 CVA's and 2 TC rifles and all of them shot and shoot well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
oh the Optima's will shoot. Just gotta know what you are doing wink

Dont git yer finger stuck in that tiny omega trigger guard.

That is a huge design failure and that drop block is cheap as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have bought a couple CVA's over the years, and have had ignition problems with both. One used #11 caps and the other used 209 primers. I'm not a CVA fan. In my opinion, quality is just not there.

My wife bought me an Omega several years ago, when they first came out. It is still as accurate as ever, and has NEVER failed to fire. Not even once, even after a full day of hunting in constant rain. I scoped it with a Nikon Prostaff in Leupold QR rings. Scope returns to zero when reinstalled every time, making it easy to use the stock irons quickly if needed, and I have. The load I use is a 295 grain plated Powerbelt HP over three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. I use the T/C 209 tool, so primimng is easy and fumble free with or without the scope. It will shoot cloverleafs all day. Accurate and 100% reliable. I can recommend it highly,

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whoops sorry guys! The last target i pictured wasn't from my Optima, that was a CVA Wolf @ 100 yards.

This is the Optima's target with 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209M primers and the 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.