Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#5483860 - 08/02/11 06:03 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: Ghostinthemachine]
GrosVentreGeorge Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Dodson, MT
Originally Posted By: Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
What about Burris? They have made scopes in the U.S. since the company was formed.

I know for a fact that Burris binoculars are made in China and Japan. I talked to a rep about it a few years ago. Their decent binocs are made in Japan by Bausch & Lomb, and their crap binocs are made in the same Chinese factory as everyone elses.
Yes and their Fullfield II scope line is made in the Philippines. Their Signature Select, Euro Diamond, and Black Diamond scopes are made in the USA. Where the parts come from I have no idea but everything is put together here.

#5483903 - 08/02/11 06:22 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: GrosVentreGeorge]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Once again I'm reminded of why I don't post on the optics forum very often:

The company that owns Vortex is (like Leupold and Swarovski) a family-owned company that has been backing up the products they sell VERY reliably for over 20 years.

Many scope companies sell binoculars made in Asia--including Leupold, which provides the same guarantee as for their scopes. This is because NO COMPANY makes binoculars in the U.S. anymore.

Ghostinthemachine: It would be a major miracle if Bausch & Lomb "made" Burris binoculars, since B&L is an entirely American company that doesn't make scopes or binoculars anymore, and hasn't for many years. They make other optical products, including contact lenses, but haven't made any sporting optics for at least a quarter of a century.

The last B&L brand-name scopes and binoculars were primarily made by Light Optical, one of the top Japanese firms. This started in the late 1980's, as I recall.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

#5483920 - 08/02/11 06:27 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: HOGGHEAD]
dogcatcher223 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kolorado
Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD

Tell me that in 20 or 30 years when you want to take advantage of that lifetime warranty you were told you had when you bought that trade name product.

I am guessing that in 20 years, I will want a newer, and better scope.

On a side note, the Meopta Meopros are made in the USA. Although I believe the parts are built in Czech. I just cannot warm up to Vortex. Seems their marketing is more impressive than their optics that I have played with.

#5483956 - 08/02/11 06:37 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: dogcatcher223]
HOGGHEAD Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Rivesville, WV
In the business world(sale of a product) you basically have three types of companies.

These three types would be manufacturers of the product, distributors of the product, and retail sales of the product.

Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold are all manufacturers of a product.

Vortex is a distributor of someone elses product. So they are a middle man or distributor of a product.

There is no correlation what so ever between Leupold and Vortex. Or Swarovski and Vortex. Family owned or not. They are two totally different and distinct types of companies.

Two are manufacturers, one is a sales company. Pretty simple. Tom.

#5483957 - 08/02/11 06:37 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: Mule Deer]
Ghostinthemachine Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Minnysoda
Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
Once again I'm reminded of why I don't post on the optics forum very often:

The company that owns Vortex is (like Leupold and Swarovski) a family-owned company that has been backing up the products they sell VERY reliably for over 20 years.

Many scope companies sell binoculars made in Asia--including Leupold, which provides the same guarantee as for their scopes. This is because NO COMPANY makes binoculars in the U.S. anymore.

Ghostinthemachine: It would be a major miracle if Bausch & Lomb "made" Burris binoculars, since B&L is an entirely American company that doesn't make scopes or binoculars anymore, and hasn't for many years. They make other optical products, including contact lenses, but haven't made any sporting optics for at least a quarter of a century.

The last B&L brand-name scopes and binoculars were primarily made by Light Optical, one of the top Japanese firms. This started in the late 1980's, as I recall.

Just saying what the guy told me. Companies selling to companies.

Who makes these? http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-Custom-Armored-Binoculars/dp/tech-data/B002NQJSWU

#5483975 - 08/02/11 06:43 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: dogcatcher223]
HOGGHEAD Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher223
[quote=HOGGHEAD]

I bought a Zeiss 6X42 West German one inch model scope in the late 70's. This scope is well over 30 years old. I can honestly say it is still an excellent scope. Maybe you don't want to buy products that last a long time. Personaly I only want to buy high grade optics once, not every 10 or 20 years??

And I definitley expect them to last my life time, and the lifetime of whoever I leave it to. But then I know I can sell that scope tomorrow for twice or more what I paid for it back then. Buy quality once, and you won't want a new one in 20 years. Tom.

Edited by HOGGHEAD (08/02/11 06:54 PM)

#5484014 - 08/02/11 06:53 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: HOGGHEAD]
HOGGHEAD Offline
Campfire Regular

The late 80's for Bausch and Lomb sounds just about right.

I had a friend who worked in their manufacturing facility in Maryland(Oakland). He retired in the late 80's(early 90's-I don't remember the exact time) when they closed that plant down. He told me they moved all their lense facilities over seas, and were out of the sporting goods trade. Please keep in mind this is second hand information. Tom.

#5484085 - 08/02/11 07:11 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: Ghostinthemachine]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Ghostinthemachine,

A lot of misinformation is spread by "what somebody told me."

There are some optics companies that sell whatever they buy cheaply. There are others that demand the manufacturer builds what they want. There are others that do the engineering in-house, and then have some other company build it. There are others that do the engineering in-house and the actual building in-house, whether with their parts or contracted parts.

Assuming that ALL companies that don't make everything in "their" factory sell sub-standard optics is really poor thinking.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

#5484107 - 08/02/11 07:15 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: HOGGHEAD]
Ringman Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: G P,OR
HOGGHEAD,

You remind me of a friend of mine. I gave him a Savage .30-06 with a Leupold 3-9 forty-eight years ago. He still has it. About thirty years ago I gave him a Remington 7MM Mag with a 4-12 Burris on it. He still has it.

In that same time I have had maybe a dozen rifles and scopes. The only one left is my Klienguenther K14 I purchased in 1977. It had a 4-12X Burris. It has had maybe half dozen scopes on it. Even the Savage .223 I had was converted to a .257 Wea Mag. In fact that one will get the newest z5. The barrel from the .223 became my .224 MBOC.

I told him I am way more dynamic than he is. It is not that he is thinking about the future, he just doesn't change much. he is more static than me. If you have read my threads, you know I have already bought and sold three Swarovskis and gone through three Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50 scopes until I got the one I now have. I already ordered another z5 in hopes of getting one that is as good as my Bushnell in normal day light.

Neither of us is doing it better than the other. We are just doing what we do. There is slim chance for you to convince those of us who will purchase a Vortex. I have one of their binocs (6.5x32); which is very nice and light. Of course it is for sale. I would buy another Nikon 7-15X35 for the pickup.

#5484117 - 08/02/11 07:17 PM Re: Thought Vortex was USA made? [Re: dogcatcher223]
johnfox Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Junee, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher223

+1

On second thoughts, I probably won't care, I'm 58 now, plus 20, I think my hunting days will be behind me. smile

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
575 registered (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1sgLunde, 70 invisible), 1210 Guests and 337 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633974 Topics
9094746 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on ZEISS at CAMERA LAND!

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.