Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mulie, I think your timeline on Bausch&Lomb is off by a mile and probably some other things are incorrect as well.

I distinctly remember almost buying a pair of $900 B&L reverse porros at Cabelas in about 2000-2001.

That aint' "what somebody told me". I was there and they were in my hands and I almost wrote the check.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 08/02/11.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could it be that Bushnell was using the B&L name?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up until about the late 90's the B&L name appeared on Bushnell's Elite series riflescopes. I still have a B&L 4000 riflescope and a B&L labeled compact spotter (15-45x60) and Mule Deer is correct in that they were made by Light Optical Works, Japan. They still are and now have the Bushnell name on them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GITM,

B&L did not MAKE any binoculars or scopes in 2000, or for a number of years before that. Yes, there were B&L "branded" optics before and after that, but they were NOT made in Rochester, New York, but in various Asian factories.

If you "ditinctly remember almost buying a pair of $900 reverse porros at Cabelas in about 2000-2001," then I would bet $10,000 that if you "distinctly remembered" the same binoculars they would have been distinctly marked "Made in Japan."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Mulie, I think your timeline on Bausch&Lomb is off by a mile and probably some other things are incorrect as well.

I distinctly remember almost buying a pair of $900 B&L reverse porros at Cabelas in about 2000-2001.

That aint' "what somebody told me". I was there and they were in my hands and I almost wrote the check.

Just like you almost know what you're talking about, but not really.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A perfect example is the Zeiss Conquest rifle scopes. The only parts actually made by Zeiss in Germany are the erector tube and its lenses. The other lenses and main tube are made in the Czech Republic, and the major parts are assembled in the the U.S. Some of the screws may be made in China, along with the raw glass, since China has had a Schott glass plant for almost a decade.

As of 2008 you are incorrect as to the manufacturing, although they are assembled in the US.

You are correct about the outsourced raw glass, but it is made in Taiwan

WildiseeditwidmyeyesAlaska ��2002-2011

Last edited by Wildalaska; 08/02/11.

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can recall people arguing 25-30 years ago, whether or not Balvar scopes were actually made by B&L. From what I recall, they were pretty good scopes, regardless of who made them?

I have Jap Tascos that are that old and still doing well, so WTH do I care? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wildalaska,

Would appreciate knowing your source of information, since I was informed directly by Zeiss in 2009.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Just like you almost know what you're talking about, but not really.

Lol. Touche. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wildalaska,

Would appreciate knowing your source of information, since I was informed directly by Zeiss in 2009.

Standing in the Zeiss plant in Wetzlar, watching them grind glass, and make erector assemblies and tubes, all the while talking to the production folks as well as the President of the entire company and Erich Schumacher, Zeiss USA president

WildthatsanoksourceAlaska
��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Guys I believe Bushnell and B&L still have business attachments. Not sure if it is affiliated with scope manufacturing or not(don't think so). But they still do business together. It never really did end. Just changed.

At one time B&L did manufacture sporting optics and then sold them under the Bushnell trade name. But now I think the affiliation is in other products like sun glasses and optical instruments.

There were alot of links between Bushnell and B&L. If I remember correctly the owner of Bushnell optics was actually an employee of B&L. I believe he was in management. But the owner of Bushnell was an importer of many products, with binoculars being his main import for many years. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 08/03/11.

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Guys I believe Bushnell and B&L still have business attachments. Not sure if it is affiliated with scope manufacturing or not(don't think so). But they still do business together. It never really did end. Just changed.

At one time B&L did manufacture sporting optics and then sold them under the Bushnell trade name. But now I think the affiliation is in other products like sun glasses and optical instruments.

There were a lot of links between Bushnell and B&L. If I remember correctly the owner of Bushnell optics was actually an employee of B&L. I believe he was in management. But the owner of Bushnell was an importer of many products, with binoculars being his main import for many years. Tom.

Your info is about 10 years out of date.

During the 1990s Bausch and Lomb allowed the Bushnell company to lease the B&L name for use on sporting optics for a time after the split.

That agreement expired about 10 years ago. Which is why the High end B&L marked Optics became "Bushnell Elites" instead of B&L.

Bausch and Lomb made it clear they want NOTHING to do with the sporting optics business. They have considered themselves to be a medical products company(prescription lenses, eyewear etc) for the last 15 years since they sold off the sporting division.

And BTW, my info comes from the same source as John B's. direct from folks who have worked at the top levels of Bushnell's marketing dept since the 1970s until just a few years ago. I have known those same people since the late 1980s.

Last edited by jim62; 08/03/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Typical internet...you never know what to believe. I recently read somewhere that the Conquest glass was outsourced from Meopta (which is in fact in Czech). Now somebody else is claiming it is made in Taiwan...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is getting to be as bad as the auto industry where practically any brand has parts from various places in the world.

That said, I like my Vortex binoculars.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just like the ones that have good glass and repeatable turrets.

laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wildalaska,

I also got my information from Erich, though here in the U.S. and not in Germany.

So what were you told that differs from what I was told?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dc223 is correct. Glass comes from Meopta. Everything is assembled in LI, NY.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Typical internet...you never know what to believe. I recently read somewhere that the Conquest glass was outsourced from Meopta (which is in fact in Czech). Now somebody else is claiming it is made in Taiwan...
yea, and then they saide they watched the lenses being ground in the zeiss plant in germany. damn, just just just damn

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
yea, and then they saide they watched the lenses being ground in the zeiss plant in germany. damn, just just just damn
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I just like the ones that have good glass and repeatable turrets.

laugh

which are?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought you had to have government clearance to get in the Zeiss plant in Germany? WildAlaska must have some friends in high places.

IIRC, Doug, (cameraland) stated the Conquest glass is made by Schott and not by Meopta.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
276 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.