Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
eyeball,

What I said about Conquest scopes in my original post is that Zeiss only makes the erector tube and it's lenses in Germany. The larger lenses are made in the Czech Republic. (This is from information I got directly from the U.S. offices of Zeiss, from the head guy.)

Somebody objected to that--and then said they had seen the erector tube and lenses being made in Germany. I recently posted a question asking how that differed from my answer, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Optics manufacturing went world-wide long ago, just like any other sort of manufacturing, from cars to televisions. Every company buys at least some components from another specialized company, whether screws or lenses.

I don't know of a single optics company that makes everything under one roof. Some companies may grind and coat their own lenses, but they don't make the glass itself.

This is true. Whether its optics or airplanes, we'd be hardpressed to find all components manufactured and assembled in a single country. US-assembled jet engines, avionics and airplanes may be branded "made in the USA", but many of their individual components/sub-assemblies are manufactured in countries that would make an American/European product advocate's skin crawl.

Same goes for T-bones and toothpaste. At least some of the materials used in those products (fertilizer, feed, antibiotics, etc. in the case of the steak) are OFTEN (not always) made in countries some folks consider uncouth, unclean, unqualified, unethical, unamerican, etc.

Last edited by Armen; 08/03/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't give a damn where my scopes are made. So long as I can see through the SOB till the end of legal shooting time and my bullets consistently hit where the crosshairs intersect I'm happy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1. This is the optical version of ballistic gack...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Optics Gack" is pretty much the definition of the Optics Forum....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WinModel70
I thought you had to have government clearance to get in the Zeiss plant in Germany? WildAlaska must have some friends in high places.

Couldnt get into certain areas of the plant...but had a nice tour and the folks there are nice people.

So let me repeat...based on what I was told and saw at Zeiss plant. the tubes and erector assemblies for all Zeiss scopes are all made right there. The lenses (ie ocular and onbjective) were being made and ground there. The boxes of raw glass I saw were labeled as being made in Taiwan, which I understand is the source of much of the raw glass used in the optic industry.

Conquest glass and Diavari glass is the same but for coatings. Coatings is where the cost is anyway

Glass is glass, it could be made in peru as long as it is of the correct formulation. Its the grinding and the coating that set scopes apart from each other.

WildihopethatclearsthisupAlaska ��2002-2011

By the way, if you really want to get some hackles running, lets talk about how the Euro rail tubes are stronger than the US non railed tubes smile

Last edited by Wildalaska; 08/03/11.

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wildalaska,

Thanks for the additional info. Evidently things have changed a little since I was provided the information.

Actually, it doesn't surprise me that Zeiss now has the time and capacity to provide the bigger lenses and tubes for the Conquest, since the downturn in the economy.

Though it is also interesting that they decided to have their latest spotting scope made in Japan to their specs.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wildalaska,

Though it is also interesting that they decided to have their latest spotting scope made in Japan to their specs.

I would assume that Cosina (Nikoh) is involved with that as they have been working with Zeiss for years

WildincameralensesAlaska ��2002-2011

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bet that was a fun trip. I have had the pleasure of touring a few different plants over the years. And every time I was treated very nice. I would have enjoyed a trip through the Zeiss plant. Great story. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice pitch jesse!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
I bet that was a fun trip. I have had the pleasure of touring a few different plants over the years. And every time I was treated very nice. I would have enjoyed a trip through the Zeiss plant. Great story. Tom.

It was run by Blaser and Zeiss, so I got to tour both plants, plus I took the chance to grab a few extra days and party in germany and tour the Verdun battlefield in France.

I love traveling...so far I have England, France, Germany, Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, Columbia, Mexico, Venezuela, Bermuda and Belize on my have seen list.

WildlikesgermanyandthailandthebestAlaska ��2002-2011

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Wildalaska

Glass is glass, it could be made in peru as long as it is of the correct formulation. Its the grinding and the coating that set scopes apart from each other.

WildihopethatclearsthisupAlaska ��2002-2011

Im not ready to believe this yet. I read somewhere from one of the diehard birdwatching guys that there are several different grades of ED glass alone. I'll see if I can find the link.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wouldn't that be taken up by the "as long as it's of the correct formulation" phrase?

Last edited by mathman; 08/04/11.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess it could very well mean that, after reading it again.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am sure that's what's meant, and it's correct.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am sure that's what's meant, and it's correct.

I'm not so sure.

The formula could be spot on but the glass could still be manufactured with inclusions or other defects not related to the formula.

I think the proper word would have been SPECIFICATION since that would encompass the formula as well as the quality of the manufacture.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Now we're picking nits. I believe the gist of the message was glass doesn't have to come from Der Vaterland to be good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Now we're picking nits. I believe the gist of the message was glass doesn't have to come from Der Vaterland to be good.

I agree 100% with that. One look through a Kowa Prominar 884, Jap glass and all, will prove it every time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

I guess I should have included the word speicifcations also, but I beleive that is implicit in what I was saying.

Does anyone think that Zeiss or Swarovski would pay for flawed glass?

WildandthetaiwanesewouldntmakeitAlaska ��2002-2011

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Would anybody pay for flawed glass?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.