Campfire 'Bwana
M
dave7mm will be along shortly to say Leupold does all the time. grin

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
What about someone like SWFA? They are specing out a scope and having it made like they want with their name on it. I have quickly become a fan of theirs and find their SS 3x9 to be a fabulous scope for a FFP with a mil reticle and adjustments for under $600.

I just got one of their SS 5x20 with the HD glass and it is simply unbelievable. I have had it side by side with nightforce and SB glass and my eyes cannot see the difference. No way they could have got that scope to market at $1000 if a middle man or distributor was involved.

Additional info: I got the 5x20 on a group buy/intro deal, full retail is $1500.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 08/04/11.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the eye relief actually like on that SS 3x9? I've seen it spec'd somewhere as pretty short.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The 3x9 has been great, I run it on a Tikka T3 in .270 and it has never been an issue. Even crawling the scope in prone or goofy positions it has not bitten me at all. YMMV with a heavy kicker...

If I wanted a full 3x9 on my .35 Whelen the eye relief would not be an issue and I have never found myself thinking I needed more.

Sorry for the slight hijack. Was drying firing so I had it handy. The eye relief is enough that I can easily run the bolt all the way without smacking myself. Eye relief on the 5x20 is similar but I just had shoulder surgery and I cannot lift the pig that it rides on.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by varmintsinc; 08/04/11.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I understand the SS scopes to be made by bushnell, or in the same factory that makes some bushnell stuff. If it's made to the Elite specs it should be good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks, that looks pretty good.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Wildalaska

Couldnt get into certain areas of the plant...but had a nice tour and the folks there are nice people.

So let me repeat...based on what I was told and saw at Zeiss plant. the tubes and erector assemblies for all Zeiss scopes are all made right there. The lenses (ie ocular and onbjective) were being made and ground there. The boxes of raw glass I saw were labeled as being made in Taiwan, which I understand is the source of much of the raw glass used in the optic industry.

Conquest glass and Diavari glass is the same but for coatings. Coatings is where the cost is anyway

Glass is glass, it could be made in peru as long as it is of the correct formulation. Its the grinding and the coating that set scopes apart from each other.

This show ran a Zeiss tour that aired less than a year ago and this is obviously raw Schott glass in the Zeiss factory.

When they show a closeup of the Schott glass box it has a "zollgute" sticker on it, which tells me it came from a Schott factory outside Germany.

Goto 4:57

Last edited by Foxbat; 08/04/11.

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I understand the SS scopes to be made by bushnell, or in the same factory that makes some bushnell stuff. If it's made to the Elite specs it should be good.

Not made by Bushnell, most claim light optical in Japan. Mine says made in Japan but thats it.

As something even slightly pertinent to the original thread I have Vortex scopes with made in the phil as well as binoculars with a made in china sticker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This show ran a Zeiss tour that aired less than a year ago and this is obviously raw Schott glass in the Zeiss factory.

When they show a closeup of the Schott glass box it has a "zollgute" sticker on it, which tells me it came from a Schott factory outside Germany.

ie Taiwan

I shot at the range you see in the video, it is in Wetzlar. Nice place. I won a Euro by hitting the deer target in the lungs at 330 yards
with a Blaser and open sights.

The Blaser guys and the Zeiss guys were all freaked out about it, guess they dont use open sights for long range out there smile

WildialsoshotatthatTVscreenthingyatBlaserinIsnyAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That range is the coolest thing ever.

I need one. I wonder what the backstop is made of to handle reflecting the projection and absorb/deflect bullets?

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
BSA or bust

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even with all the "optical gack", I still like the old steel tube Weavers. Sometimes old may be inferior to new, but new, at times, lacks class. A new Cooper 22 lr deserves the best glass to match the rifle. An old Remington 511 needs a steel tube Weaver. A proper rifle looney "needs" both.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
BSA or bust

Leapers for the win! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No love for an old TASCO???

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.